Watch along: Darker than Black

Current and Classic Animation!

Which Studio Bones anime should we watch? Votes will be tallied once we exceed 9 votes

Un-Go 11 episodes, CR
15%
Norigami (season 1) :12 episodes, CR, FN
31%
Scrapped Princess :24 episodes CR, FN
15%
Darker than Black: 24 episodes? AS, FN, HL
38%

Total votes: 13

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Re: Watch along: Darker than Black

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:52 am

Episode 22

Spoiler:
Mao's whole monologue at the start was pretty funny. I wonder how Li's power was responsible for Heaven's Gate disappearing.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 am

Episode 22

Huh - what do you know, Mao can be a nice kitty :D. Or at least try to be. His whole monolog in the beginning sequence kind of made me think we would be treated to his backstory in this episode. Guess not.

Amber's abilities of time manipulation seem much more varied than I'd initially anticipated if she says she's seen the future. Also an interesting observation by November regarding her appearance (age-wise); she did look distinctively younger here. And man, that skin-tight outfit of hers... I think I'm sweating a little bit 8-).

But seriously, using the voice of Li's sister to distract him? Low blow, Amber. Assuming it actually was her who did it.

And there goes another suave blonde - looks like Neko got his wish in the end ;).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 am

Episode 23

"So you're asking me to take your breath... wait, that is to say, your son's paper [...]" - wow, that was so inappropriate, Gai :D.
The scene switch from Li's flashback to the detective duo (with the OP in-between) might've been just a little jarring, but oh well. I like their hijinks, so I didn't mind.

Interesting way Kihara went about that conversation with her superior. Apparently she's now realized she better take November's advice to heart.

The glimpse into Li's past unmistakably showed us that Amber has been reverse-aging. It's even reflected in her voice pitch, which is notably lower (at least in Laura Bailey's performance in the dub) - pretty neat.

I was a bit taken aback by how comfortable Kihara seems to be around Li. Either that or she's doing a splendid job faking it and hiding her suspicions.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 am

Episode 23

Spoiler:
Seems like Li somehow got his sister's power when the gate disappeared. That probably explains why he doesn't seem to have a price to pay and why he use his power as much as other contractors in show use theirs.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:30 am

Episode 23
Chessboard has been set and all pawns placed, let the carnage commence.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:50 am

Episode 24

Huang would like to go fishing. "That fits you, Huang - you've got the face of a fish." - Ouch, the burn, Mao :P!

I find it interesting that the chief would suddendly decide to disclose everything to Kirihara. Maybe he realized that she wasn't falling for the facade anymore? Either way, learning that she was basically "groomed" for the Syndicate's purposes must have been a hard blow to take for her...

Anyone want to clue me in on what (or, more precisely, who) the 2 falling stars stood for that Huang saw from his car? Shortly after that, we saw the bloodsplosionist get defeated by Li, and then the burly red-haired guy was barbecued in the following scene. Was it those 2?

Mao sure loved to complain a lot, but at the very least, he was pretty useful in the end, what with gathering intel from Pandora's network. I wonder: Since the cat ran off instead of dying, does that mean only Mao's consciousness vanished and the cat got its original soul back? That'd be weird, though, since the cat would be occupying an entirely different body (or possibly be long dead by now).

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:18 am

BlueSpark wrote:Episode 24

Anyone want to clue me in on what (or, more precisely, who) the 2 falling stars stood for that Huang saw from his car? Shortly after that, we saw the bloodsplosionist get defeated by Li, and then the burly red-haired guy was barbecued in the following scene. Was it those 2?

Mao sure loved to complain a lot, but at the very least, he was pretty useful in the end, what with gathering intel from Pandora's network. I wonder: Since the cat ran off instead of dying, does that mean only Mao's consciousness vanished and the cat got its original soul back? That'd be weird, though, since the cat would be occupying an entirely different body (or possibly be long dead by now).

Episode 24

I doubt the stars were specific to any important characters. Stars were falling constantly this episode so I'm sure it was just a way of telling us that all those contractors that were fighting were slowly getting picked off one by one.

From my understanding Mao's power basically put him in the driver's seat of whatever body he was in and the mind of the animal was riding shotgun, ready to take the wheel whenever Mao left.

Nice to finally see what Mai's been up to. I wonder if we'll get more of her next episode or if that was it.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 am

Episode 24
Lotsa infodumping this episode.

...also illuminati confirmed.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 am

Episode 25

Nothing too surprising about that ending. I'd had a few vague suspicions about Li's sister after an earlier episode. I liked this series quite a bit and will be checking out the second season to see where that goes.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:54 am

Before checking out the second season, I suggest watching the episode 26 OVA called Beneath the Fully Bloomed Cherry Blossoms and the four episode OVA series that takes place in between season 1 and 2 called Kuro no Keiyakusha: Gaiden. I should mention that Kuro no Keiyakusha: Gaiden was released after Season 2 though. It's up to you if you want to watch it before watching season 2 or after but I personally suggest to watch Kuro no Keiyakusha: Gaiden now because you may not want to watch it after watching season 2.

I personally don't like season 2 with a passion for reasons.