Watch along: Darker than Black

Current and Classic Animation!

Which Studio Bones anime should we watch? Votes will be tallied once we exceed 9 votes

Un-Go 11 episodes, CR
15%
Norigami (season 1) :12 episodes, CR, FN
31%
Scrapped Princess :24 episodes CR, FN
15%
Darker than Black: 24 episodes? AS, FN, HL
38%

Total votes: 13

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: Watch along: Darker than Black

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:48 am

Episode 14
Cringy detective duo is mostly taken out of the picture and immediately story became more pleasant to watch.
Spoiler:
Three words can perfectly describe this episode:silent, subtle and poetic.I am really impressed with how this contractors duo was portrayed.
What was very unexpected mister cringy detective had some good lines this episode.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 am

fragoff wrote:Page 6, 4th comment...
Ah - I mistakenly thought the two characters had been introduced in episode 9, so I didn't check that far back. You're right. So our joy over their return is shared ;).

Episode 15

We're back to the different political parties vying for power (or missing meteor shards). I really have a lot of trouble staying focused and interested in what the show presents us here – which is a fault of mine, not the series's.

At last, Amber made an appearance. She somewhat reminded me of Nyu from Elfen Lied the first couple of times we see her. Also, that umbrella sure came in handy in an unexpected way :P.

I think Amber definitely has the potential to be (or at least have been) the C.C. to Li's Lelouch. The only reason I keep coming back to this is that C.C. was my favorite character in Code Geass, largely owing to the way she comforted Lelouch when he was at his lowest. Amber and Li looked pretty close in their flashback scene, so while also keeping in mind the second-to-last shot of the first OP, my hopes are definitely up.

And then, the new ED turns out to be a duet by a female and a male singer (the Japanese VAs of Amber and Li?). That actually warmed my heart a little :>.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:38 am

Episode 15

Spoiler:
I hope Amber knows what happened to Li's sister, I feel like she is the only real lead they have left to use in the show at this moment.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:12 am

Episode 15
I'm very nostalgic towards this OP("Kakusei Heroism ~The Hero Without a "Name"~" by An Cafe).It reminds me of times when I was discovering this anime thing and everything felt new and fresh.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 am

Episode 16

Li's... 'conflict' with Huang demonstrated once more the idea that contractors ultimately seek out their own benefit over everything else, even over the dead bodies of their superiors. Except that Li held back in order not to kill Huang. He's definitely a little different.

The situation between Li and Amber seems rather complicated. She knew Li's sister, and she betrayed the Syndicate. The two of them must've been rather close at one point, and Li still has the necklace she gave to him. On the other hand, he makes his anger at her painfully clear.

So, I'm preparing for the inevitable emergence of Amber's tragic backstory. In my one-track mind, what I've heard so far fits with my drawn parallels to C.C. (which is technically a spoiler for Code Geass:
Spoiler:
The basic idea is year-long suffering without anyone to lean on.
).

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 am

Episode 16

Spoiler:
I liked the moment between November and July. I've been waiting for the MI6 contractors to get killed for whatever reason in the show but now I hope they make it out. I also think Kirihara knows who Li is now, just have to wait for confirmation I guess.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 am

Episode 16
So the plot has been revealed.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 am

Episode 17

Sweet, another gangster story!

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:04 am

Episode 17
Seems like a massive waste to use doll as prostitute.Is sindicate unaware of what they have, or they lied to the rookie so he doesn't think too much about it.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Episode 17

I thought the beginning scene in the restaurant was pretty cool, so was Orangehead's outing with Li. He's a good fella. I'm less certain about Li's fellow tenants, though :P.

When Li was scarfing down bowl after bowl again, I had a flash of insight - is eating abnormal amounts of food Li's contractor payment? The show makes it look like a typical anime character quirk, but this would put things into context.

The girl-in-the-box gave me a strong nostalgia moment by reminding me of Eureka. The hairstyle is almost identical to the one Eureka wears in the later stages of the series, and the eyes look eerily similar, too. There's another, more fundamental thing the two girls have in common, but that would qualify as a spoiler for Eureka Seven, so I'll bite my tongue.

Good thing Li has his facial features under control so well. He must've had a true WTH moment when he saw the doll sitting smack in front of his apartment :D.