Watch along: Darker than Black

Current and Classic Animation!

Which Studio Bones anime should we watch? Votes will be tallied once we exceed 9 votes

Un-Go 11 episodes, CR
15%
Norigami (season 1) :12 episodes, CR, FN
31%
Scrapped Princess :24 episodes CR, FN
15%
Darker than Black: 24 episodes? AS, FN, HL
38%

Total votes: 13

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: Watch along: Darker than Black

Postby Kocurek1944 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:04 am

Episode 18
Only thing that could made this episode better is snow.I'm genuinely impressed how atmospheric this show can be.
Kirihara is finally starting to connect the dots.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Episode 18

I'm with Kocurek, overall. Although I can't praise it quite as highly, I liked the atmosphere of this story arc.

Misaki's friend teasing her about Li was one of the rare light-hearted moments in this show, and a welcome change of pace as far as I'm concerned. Makes me think back to Li and the doll's chat in the restaurant in episode 2... A relaxing reprieve.

The enigmatic 'chat' between Yin and New Doll was a bit of a tease, in my opinion; I'd love to know what exactly their exchange was about. According to Yin, Mrs. Apathetic confirmed that "he's the one," so presumably she approved of her knight in shining armor. I can't say I approve of the makeover they gave her, but hey, it's not my place to decide. Either way, her smile in the final scene on the train packed quite a punch :).

Nitpick: The animation in the underground car park of the 3 mobsters writhing in pain on the floor looked positively awful, almost to the point of making it funny. Even someone like me - who typically glances over even major animation flaws - had to notice that.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:19 am

Episode 19
Huang really messed up this time.
Erasing memories of civilians that came in contact with contractors playing a part in this story was a nice touch.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:41 am

Episode 19

I liked finally seeing Huang's backstory. His hatred for contractors makes a lot of sense now.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 am

Episode 19

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I liked finally seeing Huang's backstory.
Agreed. It was really cool to get into his perspective on things. So he was a cop before, eh? The shoe certainly fits.

Erasing the poor widow's memories is so darn tragic :/... Well, I guess that might just be the emotionally susceptible me speaking. Plot elements about lost memories always get me.

Primrose is making deals with the religious sect? The plot thickens. I'm looking forward to finding out what exactly their business relationship entails.

Kocurek1944 wrote:Huang really messed up this time.
He sure did - poor Huang let his emotions get in the way of his professional judgment. What I'm curious about is whether he did it because he was afraid of his former almost-girlfriend or because he still harbors other kinds of feelings for her deep down.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 am

Episode 20
I met certain Alma before, and let me tell you she was not fun to be around.
Huang should've predicted that sindicate has arms long enough to reach him.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:02 am

Episode 20

Even though I probably shouldn't be, I'm a bit surprised that Li decided to let Huang live and even help him elope without hesitation. This was a nice emotional story arc (at least by the standards of this series). Suffice it to say I like Huang a whole lot better now.

By the way, is there any interest in continuing on with season 2 after this?

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:43 am

Episode 21
gao, why evil has to be so attractive...

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Episode 21

Kocurek1944 wrote:gao, why evil has to be so attractive...
That depends... Assuming you're referring to Mrs. Teleport-in-the-Nude, I find Amber more attractive, personally. Not that we actually know whether she's evil or not, so far.

I enjoyed the little infiltration sequence, Splinter Cell style. That stuff always has me intrigued, also in regard to live-action movies (Mission Impossible, Jason Bourne, what have you - I eat this stuff up :>).

Considering that Sir Bloodflinger is in her service now, it looks like Amber sure isn't very particular about whom she recruits. Makes me anticipate the eventual reveal of her goal and motives even more.

Teleportation is neat and all, but seriously... Primrose has got to have their hands full supplying their members with replacement clothes. I sure wouldn't want to be stuck in their purchasing department.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:56 am

Episode 22
Spoiler:
A lot have happened this episode.For starters sindicate is bad, which comes as a surprise....to no one honestly.Secondly Amber is trying to stop them.November went down surprisingly easy.And most importantly Mao is horrible at impersonating cats.