List Your Favorite Anime!

Current and Classic Animation!
fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Re: List Your Favorite Anime!

Postby fragoff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:36 pm

This man, up there, gets it. If anything short of learning japanese, you need to go sub. Otherwise, it is like watching an american movie in another language. It might be well done, but you don't get the real thing.

The blacklist comes to mind as i saw someone watch it in french. Now, Reddington's voice is very grave in english and gives strenght to certain scenes and certain speechs in the serie.
In french, they gave him a much much lighter voice. It changes the carracter completly and all those moments where his voice matter. In the end, he does not convey the same feeling of danger and it fall short of the experience you get in english.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 am

fragoff wrote:In the end, he does not convey the same feeling of danger and it fall short of the experience you get in english.
I'll still argue against this. Specifically, the idea of the experience "falling short." If, for some reason, a French viewer completely detested the way the English language sounded (either in general or for these actors in particular), then they'd probably have a more satisfying viewing experience with the French dub.

I will concede that, in the end, it depends on how much the tone of the movie changes with the liberties of the localization. If the film ends up bastardized beyond repair as a result, then I can agree it wouldn't be worth the dubbing effort. This may or may not be true for The Blacklist (which I haven't seen). In the case of Bakemonogatari, as I hinted at, I had a perfectly fine experience without any puns at play, so I'll go ahead and say that the dub was worth it for me.

In the end, though, we're circling back to the concept of author's intent ("you don't get the real thing"). That's yet another issue we have different stances on, which is why we most likely won't see eye-to-eye on dubbing matters, no matter how much we debate ;).
Last edited by BlueSpark on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:05 am

BlueSpark wrote: we most likely won't see eye-to-eye on dubbing matters, no matter how much we debate ;).

We already do. You know we are right and you know you are wrong. You are just stuborn like a german ;) ;) ;)
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

TheSakeFox
I Like Anime

Postby TheSakeFox » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:41 pm

new here but thought I would add my top 10
1)Neon Genesis Evangelion
2)Space Battleship Yamato 2199
3)Strike Witches any of them
4)Girls und panzer
5)Kancolle
6)Arpeggio of blue steel
7)Golden time
8)Your Lie in April
9)Record of Grancrest war
10)SAO (cliche as hell but I still enjoy it)

those are really only my top 10 favorite to many to list that ive loved but those have to be my overall top 10's

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:50 pm

TheSakeFox wrote:new here

Hey, welcome I guess. You should probs go make an introduction post in the introduction section if you want, you’re more likely to get greeted there.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 am

Crash Kamio wrote:
Eira wrote:I’ll get to work on my own top 100, sounds like a fun thing to think about.
I'd be interested in a top 10 or 100 even list from you. Was fun to organize and think about.

Well I was working on doing this. But working through the whole thing on an individual level was just too much. Every time I took a break and returned to it I’d spend way too long re organising everything already there. I just can get it down to that specific on a thing, so I instead made something a little more broad and I’m actaully really happy with how it turned out.

A tier list, S-F of every anime I’ve completed. However I limited everything to 1 entry per series, so I’d just take whatever my favourite part of said series was and then make that have a place to somewhat represent the whole series’ placement. Otherwise multiple seasons of the same shows would end up unnecessarily filling in areas.

Also note I said series, not franchise. All the different fates get their win entry and love live and sunshine are separated. With these things there’s enough difference that they deserve their own spots, alright, with all that out of the way here it is. I’ll post the image as well as a link to the page where it’s uploaded in case the image isn’t clear enough for you.

https://tiermaker.com/list/anime-and-manga/eiras-anime-tier-list-07-05-2019-38333/45463
Tiermaker has a watermark in the top right corner unfortunately. So just to be clear it’s covering K-On!! and Seriel Experiments Lain.

Let me know what you guys think, anything you agree with or disagree with? Anything you find interesting, let me know. And feel free to ask me about any placement or clarifications if you need to. Since it’s image based each one might not be 100% clear, so ask me about some if you’re not sure.
Last edited by Eira on Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue May 07, 2019 12:03 pm

This is a direct attack on people who like the series low on your list. My feelings are broken. Ban please.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue May 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:This is a direct attack on people who like the series low on your list. My feelings are broken. Ban please.

Same!
And i want a safe space on this forum so i can cope with this very extremist person who definitly wents to hurt me!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue May 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:This is a direct attack on people who like the series low on your list. My feelings are broken. Ban please.

I don’t think you’ll find many people who’ll disagree with me on the E & F placements, or at least be able to understand why someone would place them so low. Minus the 3 ghibli films in F which people constantly seem bothered by.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue May 07, 2019 12:19 pm

Eira wrote:

I don’t think you’ll find many people who’ll disagree with me on the E & F placements, or at least be able to understand why someone would place them so low. Minus the 3 ghibli films in F which people constantly seem bothered by.

I don't like the tone of this text. How dare you