10%
Is This a Zombie? / 12 Episodes / FN, HL, YV & AL
20%

Total votes: 10

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Lyrical Nanoha

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:48 am

It's not like we're watching it together, whenever it's the 18th for you watch an episode, then from there one a day.

Always write spoiler tags out if you're going to be talking about the narrative if you want a format I use this

If it's the series being discussed

Episode number
Spoiler:
spoiler

If it's a comparison being made

Series
Spoiler:
spoiler

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:02 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Always write spoiler tags out if you're going to be talking about the narrative.

I guess since time zones have come up as an issue then we’ll just go with this actually, I didn’t think about that at all when many my response, I thought about things in the order I responded to them. Just stick with this for the greater safety.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:11 am

OK, let's kick thing off, then!

Episode 1
Spoiler:
Maybe a weird first thing to say about the show, but I'm not really digging Nanoha's character design. I mean, it's not going to be a problem for me, but her purple-haired friend looks so much nicer :>.

Neither the OP nor the ED did much for me, so I think it'll be straight skips for me through the rest of the series. Perhaps I'll give them one more look at some point later on.

To no one's surprise, I'm watching the English dubbed version. It's certainly true what most of today's dub fans are saying: The scripts of older animes such as this one don't even begin to compare to the level of quality we get nowadays. Truth be told, this might be part of the reason why most older shows don't appeal to me as much; most of the dialog and monolog tends to sound stilted and unnatural.
It is interesting to see Cristina Vee in a lead role, though. At least from what I've seen, she doesn't get many of those (although Homura Akemi arguably counts as a quasi-lead). And she brings out her little-girl voice nicely here. Anyone not well acquainted with English VAs probably wouldn't believe that she's the same person who voiced Velvet in Tales of Berseria.

Content-wise, there isn't much happening in the first episode, just character introductions and exposition. Which is par for the course, naturally. I wonder if there's a big hook coming soon.

I've got to say, the scene at Nanoha's home where she discusses the ferret issue with her family stands out a lot - with its hair physics. I swear it almost looked like a different series. Pretty crazy, but I liked it :).

And we eventually witnessed Nanoha making her contract. Full nudity transformation sequence, engage! Seriously, though, I did like the short construction phase of her wand. That thing looks rather fascinating. I also enjoyed how she reacted to her new costume :D. That was actually realistic and relatable.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:38 am

Episode 1
Spoiler:
Looking back at episode 1 nearly 10 years later, I found myself appreciating it more than I did the first time. Of course I am watching it sub and I hear the criticism of the dub and all I can say is that I'm glad I watch subs because the voice acting is done well as do with most CLAMP shows where all the voices are toned down with only the main character having a slightly higher pitch than the others to make her stand out.

Speaking of standing out however, I appreciate the fact that the main character's design is not what I would call "Yu-Gi-Oh-fied" in that she looks like all the other characters. Her design doesn't make her stand out any more than her own classmates and makes her look like a natural part of her world. I specially liked te scene in the bus when it panned out to her and her friends just laughing and telling myself that if I did not know that she was the main character, I would be hard pressed to guess correctly. Image

I agree with Bluesparks' note that some of the scenes look like they are taken from completely different styles. Three scenes in particular when compared side to side look like three completely different shows. This includes the bus scenes, the dinner scenes, and the running in the dark streets scene. The first looked pretty standard sketch anime, the second looked almost like a CG rendered shot, and the last look almost completely CG. Having so many different styles in a single episode was very striking and had me do a double take on them.

I have no real negatives or positives for the story so far. The episode was a starting point with the next episode being the info dump we need to explain the world of Nanoha. Being the second time watching the show, i look forward to catching little things like what I have gone over just now that I really did not pay much attention to the first time.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:54 am

SethAmaha wrote:Her design doesn't make her stand out any more than her own classmates and makes her look like a natural part of her world. I specially liked te scene in the bus when it panned out to her and her friends just laughing and telling myself that if I did not know that she was the main character, I would be hard pressed to guess correctly.
Very true, she isn't shoehorned into the lead role by design alone. I can get behind that. As I said, though, purple-hair is the visual(ly appealing) standout for me so far.

Now I'm left to wonder how much of a role the 2 friends are going to play later on. Usually with character constellations like this, they're liable to either completely fade into the background or become fellow magical girls beside Nanoha. But then you have cases like Pretear, which takes a certain supporting character in a very different direction. I'd love to see something along those lines here.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 am

We’ve encountered a problem. So I didn’t read the fine print, Lyrical Nanoha on Amazon is not avalibul in my region, becuase Australia. And that means that within Australia there is no legal way to stream the show. I have a region free DVD player so I can really get a DVD from anywhere to watch it and they seem pretty cheap online but firstly it’ll take awhile to get here and secondly Christmas is so close that I’m not really sure if I can spend money on myself right now, got a lot of gifts to by. Either way regardless of what I do I’m gonna be missing out on this for awhile and since the pace is an episode a day I think I’m gonna have to sit this one out.

Luckily it’s pretty short so hopefully I’ll be able to take a more active part in the next one, I’m just glad that so far this has been mostly a succusees and I think I’ll be able to continue running them going forward.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:05 am

Eira wrote:We’ve encountered a problem. So I didn’t read the fine print, Lyrical Nanoha on Amazon is not avalibul in my region, becuase Australia. And that means that within Australia there is no legal way to stream the show.
That's a darn shame. It can already be a hassle to take into account legal streaming possibilities in general (Personally, I don't really care about this, but I respect your stance on the issue). But now there's regional restrictions, as well, with users split between at least 3 different continents.

I don't know... We could cancel this watch-along and find a different show (or even a different topic) that works for you, too. I don't mind either way.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:36 am

BlueSpark wrote:We could cancel this watch-along and find a different show (or even a different topic) that works for you, too. I don't mind either way.

I think that would be an extreme thing to do, this watch along has started and while it’s a shame I can’t take part I don’t really think we should restarted the whole thing. Even if I had noticed it from the get go it was still a valid nomination and it still won the vote.

I’ll just miss out this time and can hopefully take part next time.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 am

Eira wrote:Even if I had noticed it from the get go it was still a valid nomination and it still won the vote.
Well, that's debatable. As far as I can remember, the rule was always simply to "keep legal streaming in mind." It never specified whether it should be "legal" globally or just in the US. So whether the nomination was valid or not depends on the interpretation of said rule.

That aside, we'll honor your wish and continue watching Lyrical Nanoha. There's a strong case to be made against watching further seasons of the show, though, considering that they won't be available to you, either.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am

Buy the DVDs if they're cheap and catch up. It's the only option eira