Is This a Zombie? / 12 Episodes / FN, HL, YV & AL
20%

Total votes: 10

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Lyrical Nanoha

Postby Eira » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:28 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:Even if I had noticed it from the get go it was still a valid nomination and it still won the vote.
The rule was always simply to "keep legal streaming in mind." It never specified whether it should be "legal" globally or just in the US. So whether the nomination was valid or not depends on the interpretation of said rule.

True, but hoesntly I don’t think we need to get so nit picky about it all. Most anime has legal streaming options in Australia anyway, and we can’t alwasy make sure it’s avalibul everyone, I don’t really mind having to sit this one out and I don’t think any recommendations should be made invalid just because is not alaibul in Australia, if it was more wide spread that would be a concern but as far as this one is concerned it’s perfectly valid in my eyes.

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Buy the DVDs if they're cheap and catch up. It's the only option eira

I’ll consider it. If it wasn’t near Christmas time, we hadn’t just had a Pokémon game come out and Smas Bros. Also wasn’t super close then I would totally make this buy. I’ll see if I can make it before the watch along ends.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Eira wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Buy the DVDs if they're cheap and catch up. It's the only option eira

I’ll consider it. If it wasn’t near Christmas time, we hadn’t just had a Pokémon game come out and Smas Bros. Also wasn’t super close then I would totally make this buy. I’ll see if I can make it before the watch along ends.

It's simple, don't play smash Bros, just pray for fibre and play tekken with me... Preferably without the stuttering.

If it isn't obvious I'm just being sarcastic with these answers. To me if you are gonna buy the DVDs then I'd just pirate in the meantime.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:To me if you are gonna buy the DVDs then I'd just pirate in the meantime.

I don’t know, I’m weirdly like, really specific about watching anime legally and all that, I tend to not want to give any support to pirate sites or anything of the sort. I’ll see what I can do but I doubt I’m going to do that, I’ve been doing it for so long that I really don’t think I would be able to bring myself to watch something illegally, it’s just such a set in stone part of my values now.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:10 am

Epsiode 2
Spoiler:
I really do like the look of Nanoha's wand and the way it changes its form for different actions. Careful, there's a chance I might start repeating myself in future posts.

Speaking of the wand, its response "receipt number 21" after sealing the first thingy sounds mighty interesting. As we learn a bit later, there's supposedly 21 of these creatures in all. But the word choice "receipt" (in the dub) makes me think this might be a hint at things to come.

Is it just me, or do Nanoha's parents look way too young? I mean, that's kind of a thing in anime, but still - their two older kids almost look the same age as them.

Usually, when an anime teacher talks while the frame shows the main character(s), it's little more than background filler noise. However, in this episode, teach gave us a basic explanation of the 2-part structure of kanji which I wasn't aware of at all. It was just a short snippet, but I found that really interesting and informative :).

Nanoha's monolog demonstrated in no uncertain terms that we have another selfless helper protagonist on our hands. Well, it's par for the course. But it also makes me think that I would love to see a magical girl anime with an anti-hero protagonist for once. Imagine the possibilities...

Overall, this episode was just a whole lot of exposition - just like SethAmaha said. Spoilers, dude :P!
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:09 am

Episode 2
Spoiler:
Yeah, sorry about the spoiler on what the episode was going to be about, I figured it was going to be obvious on what it was going to be and I did try and avoid the details on what they were.

Compared to episode 1, I see that the quality of this episode was much higher than the first. There were no change in styles and, for some weird reason (you will get what I mean in the next post), the ecchi was really toned down this time around.

Speaking of ecchi, I appreciate Nanoha's outfit. I like not only tat it is a cross section between a mage's robe and a school uniform, but that unlike so many other mahou shoujo, hers is extremely conservative. It is very cute and innocent (again, more in the next post).

One question I did have was how did Yuuno get to that park alongside her? He was in her room locked up and as of yet i have no confirmation that he can turn back into human form to get himself out so it's a mystery how he even got out of her locked room in the first place.

One question I did want to ask the community is how many of us are actually keeping up with this? The whole point of it was to get the community to watch along and create conversation but so far it looks like it's only two of us so far so it is not making much use if no one else is participating.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:54 am

It's cool, Seth, I was kidding about the "spoiler" accusation ;). You didn't reveal anything of importance.

Episode 2
Spoiler:
SethAmaha wrote:One question I did have was how did Yuuno get to that park alongside her?
You know, I kind of missed that one completely, but you're right. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's a mystery the anime is willing to unveil for us, at least that's my prediction. I have no trouble just rolling with it, in any case.
SethAmaha wrote:the ecchi was really toned down this time around.
Yeah, no nudie magical girl this time around ;(. I kid, I kid - please put your pitchforks away!

Episode 3
Spoiler:
::pff:: Holy smokes (literally) - her wand has freaking exhaust vents! Did I mention I love that thing?

I know I touched on this topic for episode 1 already, but some of the voice-acting lines during and after the soccer match in this one were just hilariously bad. Especially the ref's announcement that the game was over :D. Not that it bothers me much, but it does stick out to me now that I'm firmly used to more modern English dubs.

So, the magic gems are "jewel seeds," and the wand (best character so far) is called "Raging Heart." Better remember this time, lest I proceed to call them "thingies" and "her wand" (which would be blatantly disrespectful to the best character). I've found that I tend not to pick up names for (minor) characters or concepts very quickly in most animes.

So, Nanoha needs to get to the "root" of the problem - I see what you did there, anime :P.

And now she's getting depressed because she didn't nip the the tree outbreak in the bud before it happened? Girl, you're a middle schooler who was arbitrarily forced into spending your nights fighting scary creatures. And you did save the entire city in the end. Cut yourself some slack, maybe? Nanoha is taking selflessness to a new level. I think she's even more hardcore into her magical girl role than Snow White from Raising Project.

Luckily for me, it seems the next episode will focus on cutest girl :>. I wonder how much screen time she'll get, though, what with the arrival of the new rival (heh) and all.
SethAmaha wrote:so far it looks like it's only two of us so far so it is not making much use if no one else is participating.
Yeah, it's a bit of a shame. But then again, if you look at the 2 older watch-alongs I've participated in, there were quite a number of days where I was the only person to post. Now, if you know me, you'll know that I'm fine with that since I enjoy writing. But I agree with you that it's missing the purpose for which we decided to revive the watch-along in the first place. Of course, it's unfortunate that Eira has to sit this one out.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:16 am

This isn't exactly spoilers for the show, more like background on the series's beginning.

I knew for a long time that Nanoha was actually a spin off of a game and OVA hentai but I never bothered to take a look. Considering that we are watching this, I figured what hell, why not?

First things first: Because this is an older hentai, the only way to watch it is in less than official sites and I figured that something I must admit. Of course this is hentai, so its not for younger viewers and that is what is most surprising about Nanoha. The one Nanoha comes from specifically is the third Visual Novel in the series and yes, it is an eroge ( I checked. I can no longer look at the "older sister" the same way). The OVA is actually clean (not a hentai) and I was able to watch on Youtube if you are interested. I also found that the magical side of Nanoha has been present in the Triangle Heart series since the beginning so making her into a mahou Shoujo is pretty appropriate. Triangle Heart - Sweet Songs Forever is the name of the OVA and seeing Nanoha in a show that I had never seen is pretty refreshing. She is still as cute as she is in the this show.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 am

Episode 3
Spoiler:
There's the loli ecchi we all know and love. EPisode one was just the rough draft, episode 2 was the second draft, and episode 3 was the final draft where they found just the right balance of ecchi and artstyle.

I hear Bluesparks comments on the dub and I guess this is just the norm for all old anime. Just last week I decided to watch episode 1 of The Slayers in both dub and sub just for kicks and man did the dub sound so forced even back then.

I also like the magic and science mix they have going on. I believe that it is the first mahou shoujo to truly try that, although some would argue Cutie Honey did it first but in canon it is all tech, no magic so I personally don't count her at all. Symphogear hoever is a real mix between magic and science and I like it when shows take magic and make sense of it.

I'm actually glad I went and watch the Triangle Heart OVA series now because it actually explains her dad. If you wondered why a sweets shop owner is riddled with so many wounds, it is because he was a mercenary. If you remember from episode 1, the older brother was said to have been trained by the dad and is training the older sister. In Triangle Heart not only is he also a mercenary, but we actually find out that the older sister is actually their cousin and she was adopted. None of this is ever told in Nanoha so you will never find out about it and considering not many people will ever bother watching it, here you go.

Ayuu
Otaku

Postby Ayuu » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Soo I finally got started, a bit late due to a busy weekend.

After watching the first 4 episodes I'm really enjoying the show. The animation is surprisingly crisp, I wasn't expecting the level of animation we are getting with some of this. The transformation sequence was impressive as were some of the more detailed scenes. While some stuff was definitely a "higher quality" I personally feel it all blends together well and nothing comes off as out of place.

I'm glad there isn't a huge amount of loli fan service tho I assume that could change like Illya did from season 1 to 2. Even the "nudity" in the transformation sequence feels fairly tasteful.

Not a huge fan of Nanoha's magical costume. I personally like the hair styles in this show quite a bit, it gives them all alot of character. I don't really like how her costume is put together though, I prefer the more girly (?) less formless and arguably more detailed designs of something like Madoka. That's kinda just personal preference though.

I'm thrilled with the sub of this so far. Yukari Tamura does an amazing job as a magical girl protag, I sometimes get flashes of Rikka from HIgurashi being the main character instead of Nanoha because her voicing of them is pretty similar they even both have the nano / nanodesu verbal tic. So cute! ::blush::

Spoilers up to episode 4

Spoiler:
So far the story has been pretty good. I can't help being slightly suspicious of Yunno. I don't think the animal helpers started being really dangerous until later magical girl iterations so Nanoha might be okay...he definitely isn't telling her everything but I don't know if that is intentional or he just hasn't felt it's appropriate to explain everything yet. The latest episode felt a bit frustrating because our new rival magical girl decided to play the trope of "don't ask questions or discuss, just attacc". I feel like it would have been nice if she'd actually spoken to Nanoha so we could eliminate the possibility that they are both literally doing the same thing and could just be working together instead of this possibly unnecessary rivalry. I'm guessing she is gathering them for a different more selfish reason then Nanoha in which case they end up on different sides anyway but I would have preferred confirmation of that instead of just "o look another magical girl, better Desu~ her up no questions asked."

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:01 am

SethAmaha wrote:I also like the magic and science mix they have going on.
I don't know; you see the design of Raging Heart as a mixture of magic and science? I guess the exhaust system does point in that direction, but otherwise, I'm not really getting a science-y vibe from it. The (admittedly synthesized-sounding) voice seems more magical in nature to me, as do the wand's transformation/reconstruction sequences.

Ayuu wrote:I don't really like how her costume is put together though, I prefer the more girly (?) less formless and arguably more detailed designs of something like Madoka.
Personally, I'm with SethAmaha here. I like this look quite a bit as opposed to the usual frilly dresses. But it doesn't matter much to me either way; cute is cute :).

Episode 4
Spoiler:
Ayuu wrote:The latest episode felt a bit frustrating because our new rival magical girl decided to play the trope of "don't ask questions or discuss, just attacc".
My bet is she's simply the headstrong loner type, determined to pursue her goals efficiently and on her own, instead of genuinely mean or evil. Whether these goals really are selfish or not, we'll see. She could be working towards the same end game as Nanoha, just using different methods (a fairly common theme in magical girl animes). Maybe her familiar plays a role in the way she behaves, too.

So, since I'm watching the dub, I'm obviously not seeing the characters' names spelled out. Is the head maid's name really "Noel"? As in the French word for "christmas"?

The whole mansion feels like a weird crossover of a maid & cat café 8-). Kind of neat, but we didn't get to see much of it in the end.

I really dug the visual style of the shot in which the rival girl first appeared. The way that everything is tinged in yellow with pitch-black shadowed areas and the 'camera' zooms in on her. I was impressed enough to rewind and watch it a second time. Somehow, it feels to me like a technique Shaft would use.

Aaand we get winged boots :)! Now there's another RPG staple. They looks a little bit ridiculous, but I guess that has its own charm.

I kind of knew that we wouldn't get to see much of Suzuka (I know her name now!) this episode, but it's still a bit disappointing. I guess she truly is just a background character who, at best, might get one impactful scene towards the final stages of the season. Such a shame ::sigh::.

Lastly, the studio made gao sure that photo of rival girl and her mother/caretaker/mentor (?) looks ominous, complete with a matching choice of sound. The woman has grey hair, just like most of Nanoha's family. I'm assuming this to be a coincidence for now, but who knows (Well obviously, the people who have already watched the series do :P)...
Edit: Looks like I misremembered several characters' hair colors, so pay that particular comment above no mind.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.