10%
Is This a Zombie? / 12 Episodes / FN, HL, YV & AL
20%

Total votes: 10

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Lyrical Nanoha

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:59 am

BlueSpark wrote:but otherwise, I'm not really getting a science-y vibe from it. The (admittedly synthesized-sounding) voice seems more magical in nature to me, as do the wand's transformation/reconstruction sequences.

It becomes more apparent as the series goes on but yeah. The way it is eventually explained, and is how I guessed it the first time around, is that mana is merely a form of energy and that magic comes from using that energy to pass it through a formula that is formed either inside the wands or by the mage themselves. In other words they basically make it into a magic into a science.

Episode 4
Spoiler:
Having actually seen those OVAs recently did wonders in actually getting some background into things like Suzuka's family and Nanoha;s relationship with Suzuka's older sister.

I like that the expressions for surprise are so weird. I know it;s not everyone's taste but a goofy face makes good and simple comedy for me.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:32 am

Episode 5
Spoiler:
You know, if it really bothered him so much he would just tell Nanoha that he is actually a man. Anime Logic Is Strong In this scene.

Decent action this time around .

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:41 am

I appreciate you going the extra mile and letting us know about the OVAs, Seth. Not that the info means much to me or has any notable influence on my watching experience, but it's still nice to get some background on the production.

Episode 5
Spoiler:
Nanoha: "I'm going to relax and have as much fun as I can!" - When did this quote ever not bode badly :P? It was pretty much an insurance that something would go awry at this neat little hot spring vacation.

Yuno's reaction in the changing room was true to classic anime form :D. He was missing the nosebleed, though. At least this lets us know that his home world also has girls and a concept of cross-gender modesty.
SethAmaha wrote:You know, if it really bothered him so much he would just tell Nanoha that he is actually a man. Anime Logic Is Strong In this scene.
Well, knowing how a scene like that would play out in most romantic comedy animes, I can't really blame him for keeping his mouth shut :P. Although these girls seem much more tame, so he probably wouldn't have had to worry about wooden buckets and assorted bathroom utensils being hurled in his general direction.

The moment Mrs. Jewel-on-Forehead appeared in her bathrobe, it only took me a second to realize "Hey, she's Fate's familiar, isn't she?". I say good job on the art designer(s) for keeping her look consistent like that. I think the fox/wolf ears are rather goofy and don't really fit her style, though.

So, the rival girl mentioned her mom - looks like my first instinct about the picture was right on the money. Judging by the way she sounded, Fate's main motivation might just be blind obedience instead of anything selfish. Now the more interesting question is why she's so determined to fulfil her mother's request.

So, the next episode is to include flashbacks? I'm down for that, especially since the main narrative isn't keeping me overly engaged so far. I do want to mention that the piano melody playing during the preview was quite beautiful. I could listen to melodic piano tracks forever.

Also, I love Nanoha's wand.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:26 am

Episode 6
Spoiler:
I think Nanoha looks better with her hair open, to be honest. Seeing her that way in the first scene caught me off guard a little.

While I appreciate the drama from the emerging rift between Nanoha and her friends, its whole presentation frankly felt rather bland to me. Still curious to see if this will be built upon further in future episodes.

They called the Taiyaki a cookie :D! Priceless, good old anime localization. There are no rice balls in anime, only sandwiches! As much as I'm making fun of it, I don't honestly mind, though. It's always bewildered me how other anime viewers get so worked up over trivial details like this.

The shot of the Glowing Tower... Uh, the skyscraper wrapped in yellow light looked very weird. Was that supposed to be a simple sunlight reflection? Looked more like some kind of heavy radiation to me.

Aaand we see the scars on her back... ouch ;(. I suppose this is how her mother keeps her in line... Arf's comment later in the episode also hints at Fate's life not being a particularly happy one.
And then, we get that one shot in the episode preview which pretty erases any remaining doubts.

Did anybody else scratch their head as to why exactly we cut to a shot of the sea/ocean during the thunderstorm sequence :?? I mean, we're right in the middle of the city... And just as I thought that and put it down in my notes, Yuno exclaims (in the dub): "We're in the middle of the city!" :D.

Back to nudie transformation, it is! I haven't watched that many magical girl series, but contrary to what Ayuu remarked earlier, I find this one looks quite risque compared to most others I've seen...

By the way, Raging Heart is pretty awesome 8-).

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Episode 6
Spoiler:
I got a real kick out of seeing the old flip phones.
It all lost makes me wish I knew how to write Japanese just to see if there is any difference between typing using the delta 10 or the qwerty.

Because I watch subbed, I'm enjoying reading the small differences between the two releases such as them calling the taiyaki cookies (they didn't even talk about them in the signed) and how different they say the names in the dub; the pronunciations are closer but not correct such as the wand being called Raiging Heart instead of Raising Heart or Arf instead of Alph

BlueSpark wrote:
Did anybody else scratch their head as to why exactly we cut to a shot of the sea/ocean during the thunderstorm sequence :?? .

I didn't find too odd considering that the setting is japan and most of their big cities are next to the sea.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 am

SethAmaha wrote:the pronunciations are closer but not correct such as the wand being called Raiging Heart instead of Raising Heart or Arf instead of Alph
Now that you mention it, I thought they actually pronounced it "Alph" in the first episode she was introduced (which made me think of a certain extraterrestrial creature I sometimes saw on TV as a child), but in 6 and 7, they definitely said "Arf." There might be some inconsistencies at play, which happens sometimes in dubs (though usually not within a single season).

SethAmaha wrote:I didn't find too odd considering that the setting is japan and most of their big cities are next to the sea.
Fair enough. They never specified which city the characters live in, did they?

Episode 7
Spoiler:
Fate seems to think very highly of her mother. My bet is on a deep-seated trauma which has put her in a state of denial. And which also made her emotionally jaded, so she didn't have any qualms about going all out against Nanoha.
... And now I can't even be shocked at what that woman's doing to her daughter since I already saw it in the preview. That's a bit of a shame, actually. It's rare that an episode preview full-on spoils (in both senses of the word) a plot point to me.

Observation: The skyscraper is, in fact, yellow. Sure didn't look like it in the last episode. But then, in the second half of this one, we get yet another shot of the building with a completely unnatural glow surrounding it. I really wonder what's up with that.

Aaand now we're dealing with spacetime ships. So, a mysterious third party which shows up unannounced and potentially changes the entire game? Even if the comparison is a little off, I feel this goes in the same direction that people gave the final arc of Darling in the FranXX copious amounts of flak for. But then again, I'm known not to see the differentiation between "good" and "bad writing" other people point out in animes, so take that for what it's worth.

I'm glad Raging Heart fully recovered in the end. The show simply wouldn't be any fun without it :>.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:50 am

Episode 8
Spoiler:
OK, those are some pretty high stakes our protagonist has to deal with right now. Not sure how I feel about this sudden escalation. I still think this is pretty reminiscent of what the recent Darling in the FranXX did in terms of a major plot twist. I wonder if Lyrical Nanoha caused as much of an outrage when it aired. Probably not.

Most unintentionally and sadly ironic quote of the series so far: "I'm sure she's still young enough to be spoiled by her mother." Oh, if you only knew, Mrs. Fleet Captain...

I know I mentioned something of similar effect before, but I swear Nanoha's brother and father look almost identical except for a small height difference. Seeing them side by side weirded me out ever so slightly.

Unfortunately, Raging Heart didn't make an appearance this episode. But it's still cool.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:55 am

Guess I'll just keep going despite the overall lack of participation.

Episode 9
Spoiler:
I loved the goofy background music while the fleet captain was preparing and drinking her tea - and Nanoha's reaction face, of course :P. Good fun. I feel they could even turn that into a running gag if they wanted to.

While witnessing another brief scene in the classroom, I was surprised that the teacher addressed her students by first name, until I reminded myself that these characters are actually in elementary school. It feels weird given the grand task which Nanoha has taken on. I don't even know why I'm just now realizing this, but she's way too young for that kind of responsibility, or the level of danger that comes with it.

Furnishing observation: It's interesting that the spacetime ship would have such plain, old-school chairs in its cafeteria. Doesn't really mesh with my preconceived notions of science-fiction. Maybe the crew simply has a proclivity for retro room design :D?

It appears you were right, Seth - the ocean is omnipresent in Japan, and this story takes place in a seaside city, too.

I'm getting mild Kill la Kill vibes from this, given the roles and dispositions of 2 certain characters (trying to avoid spoilers here). I'm curious to see if the rest of the story goes in the same direction.

Finally, Raging Heart saw some action again! Wohoo!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:10 am

I would, but finals are next week so I'm busy until then

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 pm

I would, but our amazon overlord and future owner of the world Jeff Bezos has deemed Australia not worthy of Lyrical Nanoha.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560