No votes

Total votes: 6

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Knights of Sidonia

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:32 am

Episode 10
Spoiler:
SethAmaha wrote:As for the plans, they did mention that the blueprints were just recently found.
Huh, I must've missed that detail. Forget I said anything, then.
Epsiode 11
Spoiler:
Kunato has developed from an asshole to a defeated asshole. A very fitting evolution for him. I hope he stays that way. Although I'm still open to the idea of sending him out to battle and having him die like a dog in the final episode. Oops... Sorry, that was insensitive to all the dogs out there.

I noticed that the English dub talks about the "clasp formation" while the subtitles (in my case the songs & text subtitles) call it a "clutch formation." Of course, it's a minor and inconsequential difference. But I've always thought it was somewhat weird for localized releases to simply copy & paste those parts of the official subtitles to the songs & text track instead of adapting them to the word choices of the dub. I guess dubbing companies need to limit their spending any way they can.

I'm impressed by the range of the Haegus (?) Particle Cannon. To have its beam stay concentrated over those kinds of distances is rather mindblowing. Then again, I'm no physicist, so I don't know how accurate this depiction is to (roughly) comparable technology which exists today.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:57 am

Episode 10
Spoiler:
BlueSpark wrote:I'm impressed by the range of the Haegus (?) Particle Cannon. To have its beam stay concentrated over those kinds of distances is rather mindblowing. Then again, I'm no physicist, so I don't know how accurate this depiction is to (roughly) comparable technology which exists today.

Thats the one thing I can't figure out. I'm writing that off as an anime only weapon. From the looks of it it would seem like a high powered laser, but that doesn't account for the large amount of electricity it gives off, thats not how lasers work. at first I thought it might be a railgun of some sort, but it clearly uses lenses to concentrate the beam and railgun uses a physical object to shoot out in a high intensity fashion so that can't be either. So again, because anime.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:09 am

SethAmaha wrote:Episode 10
Spoiler:
BlueSpark wrote:I'm impressed by the range of the Haegus (?) Particle Cannon. To have its beam stay concentrated over those kinds of distances is rather mindblowing. Then again, I'm no physicist, so I don't know how accurate this depiction is to (roughly) comparable technology which exists today.

Thats the one thing I can't figure out. I'm writing that off as an anime only weapon. From the looks of it it would seem like a high powered laser, but that doesn't account for the large amount of electricity it gives off, thats not how lasers work. at first I thought it might be a railgun of some sort, but it clearly uses lenses to concentrate the beam and railgun uses a physical object to shoot out in a high intensity fashion so that can't be either. So again, because anime.

In my language, we have a saying that rougthly translate to this, to explain these kind of stuffs: 'shut your mounth, it's magic!.'
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:02 am

Here we go - the season finale.

Episode 12
Spoiler:
Maybe this was actually shown before and I just didn't notice, but I was surprised that there was another Hoshijiro ena sitting in the cockpit. So the gauna absorb the DNA of captured humans and effectively clone them?

Tanikaze's finishing move was creative and really... packed a punch. A dexterous mecha hand job leading the battle to a satisfying conclusion. (There's my quota of bad puns and innuendo for this watch-along)

You probably all know by now that it's hard to impress with me visuals. But I have to give the show props for the (static) image of the mega gauna's detonation. That ish looked surreal.

I'm really glad Izana survived in the end. She was such a good girl... err, guy... err, genderless person. Still, it kind of hurts to see her get the shaft romantically.
Kunato, on the other hand... gao, I want to punch Nagate for even trying to give that dirtbag another chance. Just leave him to wallow in his self-pity.

Looks like they're keeping the fate of the captured Hoshijiro a mystery to be revelaed in the follow-up season - complete with a big cliffhanger.
On that final note: I can't say I was super thrilled by Knights of Sidonia overall, and the last episode featuring mostly battle scenes wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I liked the overall story and worldbuilding. If everyone else is interested, I'd be down with watching season 2, as well.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:52 am

BlueSpark wrote: overall, and the last episode featuring mostly battle scenes wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but I liked the overall story and worldbuilding. If everyone else is interested, I'd be down with watching season 2, as well.

Spoiler:
i think the same thing. The world is very interesting. But my opinion might be a bit bias because of the creator.
The story, altought interesting, seems a bit convoluted for me in some aspects and too linear on others.
It is too much of the regular trope of 'let's put bigger and bader problems/enemies' to furter the plot and let's solve it with a succesfull battle.
It is also all over the place with its carracters, infos and plot mechanics.
It doesn't provide a bad experience per say, but it makes for an average show at some point.
In the end, i will fondly remember the setup but i will forget the story.

And wasn't it already decided we where doing season 2? Don't tell me i imposed myself season 2 for no reason!!???
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:21 am

Spoiler:
fragoff wrote:The story, altought interesting, seems a bit convoluted for me in some aspects and too linear on others.
It is too much of the regular trope of 'let's put bigger and bader problems/enemies' to furter the plot and let's solve it with a succesfull battle.
On a macro-level, I agree with you. I kind of derped when I broadly referred to "the story"; what I meant to say is I appreciated mainly the character constellations, including the ones in the flashback, and what happened to some of them in the 2nd half (specifically Hoshijiro). The fight against the gauna itself wasn't particularly compelling. But then again, I hardly ever enjoy those kinds of battle scenarios, so I'm probably an inadequate judge here.
fragoff wrote:And wasn't it already decided we where doing season 2? Don't tell me i imposed myself season 2 for no reason!!???
As far as I remember, Eira only made a general remark that we might watch additional seasons of a show if there's sufficient interest, but as a starting point, we're only taking the 1st one.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:24 pm

fragoff wrote:
Spoiler:
i think the same thing. The world is very interesting. But my opinion might be a bit bias because of the creator.
The story, altought interesting, seems a bit convoluted for me in some aspects and too linear on others.
It is also all over the place with its carracters, infos and plot mechanics.
It doesn't provide a bad experience per say, but it makes for an average show at some point.
In the end, i will fondly remember the setup but i will forget the story.

And wasn't it already decided we where doing season 2? Don't tell me i imposed myself season 2 for no reason!!???

Spoiler:
If you compared the anime to the manga, you will find that the events in the anime doesn't sync up to the manga at all. I still to this day don't know why the events were rearranged in this manner. For the most part, the anime is about the same for the manga (excluding the rearranging of events) except for one event in season 2.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:33 am

BlueSpark wrote:
fragoff wrote:wasn't it already decided we where doing season 2?
Eira only made a general remark that we might watch additional seasons of a show if there's sufficient interest.

Sparky here has the right of it. However is this is two people that that’s alrwady a fair amount of interest. I’ll give it a day or two and see what others say.

Anyone else interesting in continuing into season 2?

This will also give me more time to catch up and be a part of it again.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:38 am

I wouldn't mind though we should probably wait until after new years since most of use are probably going to be quite busy for a while

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:09 am

SethAmaha wrote:I wouldn't mind though we should probably wait until after new years since most of use are probably going to be quite busy for a while

Yep. Very hard to retain an anime story wile very drunk!