75%
Psycho-Pass / 22 Episode / Netflix / Animelab / Funimation / Hulu / Yahoo View
25%

Total votes: 4

Eira
Anime Junky

Community Watch Along: Gurren Lagann

Postby Eira » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Alright, with Knight's of Sidonia behind us let's hopefully get something that more people will be able to watch. This time it's going to be 'Original Anime'! Anime that lacks any kind of source material, now if it's something that has weird or obscure source material like then I might still allow it, but try to make sure it's completely original and made with the intent of being an anime first and foremost. As always I'll be the final arbiter or these things.

If the anime was an original when it came out then that’s all the matters, if a manga or light novel or some adaptation came after the show then that’s still good. There are still a few exceptions here but just take the plunge and vote if you have one in mind, you’re allowed to nominate again even if it doesn’t count and I’ll let you know, it’s just to hard to explain all the small details and specific situations. Please nominate below with a show, feel free to include legal sites and a key visual although not necessary.

The winner is: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

There have also been some more rules added so make sure you understand them before posting.
Rules:
1. One nomination per member, must fit the category, I'm the final arbiter on if it counts
2. No movies... this time
3. Must have a legal streaming option
4. No show exceeding 30 episodes within a single season. The longer it is the harder it is for people to stick to it consistently.
5. Usual OS rules still apply, be nice and don't ruin other people’s fun.
6. No hate watching! You’re allowed to not like the show and talk about why, but don’t keep watching with the intent of hating.
7. No one needs to justify their opinion, negative or positive everyone has their own taste and is allowed to voice themselves. As long as they don’t break any other rules.
Last edited by Eira on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Re: Community Watch Along: Original Anime [Nomination Phase]

Postby fragoff » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:04 am

If the anime was later made into a novel or a manga, does it still count as original?
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:14 am

Oof... I don't usually dig into the production history behind anime series, so I honestly wouldn't have the first idea on how to nominate any new shows (e.g. ones that I haven't watched). I mean, yeah, Andrew and Chris usually mention this in their podcast previews/reviews, but I rarely remember such details. Even among the animes I have seen, there are only a handful of which I'm aware that they're original works.

If someone has a link to perhaps a list of original animes or can name some titles for me, that'd be much appreciated. If not, I guess I'll go with one of my favorites which I know meets the requirements.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 am

fragoff wrote:If the anime was later made into a novel or a manga, does it still count as original?

Yer, that’s fine. Just that it was an anime orginal first, I should of made that more clear, ill edit the orginal with this information.
BlueSpark wrote:I don't p dig into the production history behind anime, so I honestly wouldn't have the first idea on how to nominate any new shows. If someone has a link to perhaps a list of original animes or can name some titles for me, that'd be much appreciated. If not, I guess I'll go with one of my favorites which I know meets the requirements.

The best way I know to check is to use MAL, on the left side of each anime page with all the info there’s a section called ‘source’ and that will have if something came before it, this is good cause then you don’t have to check the manga page to see if it came after of not. But this is slow since you still have to go to a specific page and thus isn’t helpful when searching aimlessly, but it’s the best way I know of.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 am

Eira wrote:But this is slow since you still have to go to a specific page and thus isn’t helpful when searching aimlessly, but it’s the best way I know of.
Yeah, I figured as much. I'm afraid I'll have to choose from the few titles I know are original animes, then. Or maybe check MAL for some of my favorites I'd like to rewatch.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:27 pm

TENGA TOPPEN GURREN LAGANN
It's on crunchy, vrv, and Hulu

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Psycho-pass, but just the first season. We will agree out of common descency that, like for DB GT, the second season never existed.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 am

fragoff wrote:We will agree out of common descency that, like for DB GT, the second season never existed.

I've heard about that and I'm fine with that, haha. Apparently a B team worked on the second season since all the people who did the first season were made to work on the movie which was in development at the same time as the second season.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:34 am

fragoff wrote:but just the first season.
I will fight you on that, fragoff. Just so you know. Although you're actually in the right on a technicality: Season 1 spans 22 episodes, so with Eira's imposed 30-episode limit in mind, season 2 wouldn't fit into the format.

Turns out a series I've been meaning to rewatch anyway is actually an original work (which later had a manga adaptation):

Penguindrum
As usual, I'm not sure about streaming opportunities, but a quick Google search seems to indicate it's running on Netflix, HiDive, and VRV.

In all honesty, though, my vote will probably go to fullmetal's suggestion. I've got my reservations about mecha animes, so I have avoided this 'classic' so far. But considering I liked Kill la Kill (which has sort of a mecha vibe) and loved Darling in the FranXX, I guess I shouldn't write it off.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:48 am

BlueSpark wrote:
fragoff wrote:but just the first season.
I will fight you on that, fragoff. Although you're actually in the right on a technicality: Season 1 spans 22 episodes, so with Eira's imposed 30-episode limit in mind, season 2 wouldn't fit into the format.

I'm simply meant that as a limitation for first seasons, since we decided on weather to do more seasons later and give everyone a bit of a break if we do. I just don't want people posting really long shows or epics. As I said it's harder to watch those if we have no break and also It's better for these to be changed out often, so if someone doesn't enjoy a show it's not too long before they can join in again.

BlueSpark wrote:As usual, I'm not sure about streaming opportunities, but a quick Google search seems to indicate it's running on Netflix, HiDive, and VRV.

I can't believe I've never mentiond https://because.moe/ it's a great site for finding legal places to watch anime and has listings for America, Canada, the UK, and Australia. It does take time to add stuff and it usually wont retroactively re track a site if they remove it, but it's pretty reliable. Although it didn't say netflix anyway and while I was able to find a netflix link it went to a dead page so they either removed it or Australian netflix just doesn't have it. Either way it is valid and I have also been meaning to watch this at some point.