25%

Total votes: 4

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Gurren Lagann

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 am

Episode 7
Spoiler:
Almost an entire episode of non-stop fighting means there isn't much for me to comment on. Possibly the most boring episode so far for a viewer like me.

I'll say that I like the development of having a whole strike force march on towards the enemy headquarters instead of just a small group of 4. I enjoyed that kind of dynamic in Saga of Tanya the Evil, for example. We'll see if Kamina turns out to be as brilliant a leader as the fake loli.

On a related note, I wonder what gives Kamina his drive. What makes him so absolutely opposed to the idea of giving up and turning tail in a fight. Was it something his father instilled in him?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 am

BlueSpark wrote:Episode 5
Eira wrote:
Spoiler:
Things like the scripture that the old man gives to his son, they wouldn’t make a big deal out of that if it wasn’t going to matter later.
Spoiler:
I didn't perceive it like that at all. I honestly thought the scripture thing was just a nice extra touch to flesh out the scene, not something that was necessarily going to become significant to the story later on.

Spoiler:
That still might be the case, I don’t actually remember if it becomes important or not, I just like it when a show sets up plot points in advance. Usually it’s by something like this, an item being given to someone, there’s a few other tell tail sings of it. Either way I like pointing them out cause I think it’s a neat way of writing.

BlueSpark wrote:My source has an episode 5.5 listed, which is only 12 minutes long and not dubbed. I'm going to assume we'll skip that one.

Yer, it’s just a recap episode, hoesntly I don’t think 5 episodes is enough for a recap, as a whole I don’t like recap episodes anyway. It’s worse when they’re integrated into being a fake real episode, at least we don’t have that here thank god.

Episode 7:
Spoiler:
A great episode. We got our first mention of the spiral king in episode 6 but now it’s made very clear who he is and how important he is and we get the typical elite four before the champion set up and laid out clearly.

I was waiting for the return of kittan, for some reason I remembered him joining the team on the same episodes he’s introduced like rossiu and the kids are. But either way, he’s back now, a character I really do like. And yer seeing everyone show up with their gunmans in such a good moment and it reallt starts building up Kamina as this symbol of hope that he is to everyone and how important he is for the humans right now, he really is a massive figure.

I just love seeing the team come together and become team DAI-Gurren. This is where the show reallt starts ramping up and I love it. But also, can we mention how they got to the hot springs and it was night and they had the fight and at morning Viral showed up and then they had that huge fight until the night that it is now. That means they haven’t slept in 2 days yet, so they better get some god gao sleep before the next fight or it’s gonna be absurd to say they still have any energy left, at least the ones who were present at the hot spring.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Almost an entire episode of non-stop fighting means there isn't much for me to comment on. Possibly the most boring episode so far for a viewer like me.

Spoiler:
You don’t like episodes mainly made up of fighting? That’s gonna become a bigger problem as we go on but hopefully it offers enough for you to not get too board. Bascially we get a lot of fight heavy episodes with this same amount of character interactions and story progression mixed in.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'll say that I like the development of having a whole strike force march on towards the enemy headquarters instead of just a small group of 4.

Spoiler:
Yer, seeing team DAI-Gurren come to be is something I was really looking forward too, I love the design of everyone’s mechs and I love seeing them all together, this is where Shinji stats to get real.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:45 am

Eira wrote:Usually it’s by something like this, an item being given to someone, there’s a few other tell tail sings of it. Either way I like pointing them out cause I think it’s a neat way of writing.
Yeah, I can see that. I just want to emphasize that I also appreciate small details like this which aren't going to come into play later - it shows me that the writer went the extra step to make the scene unique instead of just focusing on plot-relevant points.

Eira wrote:You don’t like episodes mainly made up of fighting? That’s gonna become a bigger problem as we go on but hopefully it offers enough for you to not get too board.
Oh, I thought everyone around here already knew :P. Fight scenes in general tend to bore me a great deal. When there's an extended action scene on screen, it's the most likely time for my mind to wander off and lose focus. In about ... let's say 80% of the anime's I've seen, I would've been glad to skip over most action scenes and simply read a short summary of what happened in subtitles/captions. Exceptions like Girls und Panzer or A Certain Scientific Railgun are mainly due to me loving the overall setting, a particular type of combat, or the characters.
But I'm not terribly worried; I've gotten through Kill la Kill fine. As much as I tend to raise an eyebrow at the completely over-the-top stuff Gainax/Trigger frequently pulls in their shows, it also helps make these fights less boring, compared to more grounded combat in other series.

Episode 8
Spoiler:
Aww... how sweet. That kiss was a bit surprising, but Yoko did show some affection for Kamina before, so it's not like it came completely out of the blue. And for a moment, we had a good, old-fashioned love triangle.

Wow - on the computer screen image Ron uses to track Simon's status, when the priest's son points out that his fighting spirit is wavering, you see a symbol depicting Simon's head with a broken heart icon underneath. Talk about convenient symbolism!

Kamina's sudden recovery after a seemingly fatal attack sort of tugged at my suspension of disbelief. I could see him just barely surviving it, but hopping right back into his mecha and fighting on like nothing happened? That seemed like bit much. But it fit together in the end - how he gave his all until his dying breath to finish off their enemy.
Now I feel really bad for Yoko. I mean, it's a devastating blow for Simon, too, but she had basically just confessed her love for Kamina. I'm looking forward to how they're going to unfold the drama in the next episode.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:You don’t like episodes mainly made up of fighting? That’s gonna become a bigger problem as we go on.
Oh, I thought everyone around here already knew. Fight scenes in general tend to bore me a great deal. When there's an extended action scene on screen, it's the most likely time for my mind to wander off and lose focus. Exceptions like Girls und Panzer or A Certain Scientific Railgun are mainly due to me loving the overall setting, a particular type of combat, or the characters.

Well hopefully you're able to enjoy it, but the further we go the more and more this will become an issue. It still has it moments where it calms down, hopefully it's able to keep your attention, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up just being too board to continue towards the end.

Episode 8:
Haven't watched it yet. But BlueSpark should be making his post soon so I just wanna say something about this episode which is just how impact it is. I'm not using spoiler tags so I'll be careful with my words but this is easily one of the biggest turning points in the series.

Wish I had been able to say more but I'll just have to check back in for episode 9 hopefully.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 am

Eira wrote:It still has it moments where it calms down, hopefully it's able to keep your attention, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up just being too board to continue towards the end.
Yeah, I'm mildly worried about that, too. At least in the case of Kill la Kill (Sorry for bringing up that show in seemingly every post, but I believe it compares quite nicely to Gurren Lagann), the shift towards story focus and some of the quirkiness of the different characters helped keep me entertained for the most part. Hope this series will follow the same path.

By the way, Eira, I believe you've got the episode count mixed up; I shared my views on ep 8 (the pivotal turning point) in my last post.

Episode 9
Spoiler:
And the similarities continue - well, at least superficially: One of the spiral generals (Swiftness, I think) has the same VA as the hacker (Inumata) from Kill la Kill. I still don't think there's much of a reason for me to bring up dub-related stuff, but I'll do it anyway if something sticks out to me.

So, here we go. Emotional devastation. Simon has completely cracked. I will say that his reaction to all this seems a bit overblown and not as well-depicted as, say, Yuu Otosaka's breakdown in Charlotte. But hey, it works for the story.
The overall group dynamic of team Dai-Gurren in this state is quite interesting. The other characters being annoyed at Simon's self-pity reminds me of a certain story arc in Eureka Seven. I wonder if the crew would consider ditching him if he wasn't the only one who can pilot the Lagann.
In contrast to Simon, I really like how Yoko's reaction is portrayed. She's just about hanging in there, trying not to lose it for the sake of the group, but coming dangerously close. While it didn't hit me in the feels, I thought her crying scene in the shower was very well done.

News of the day: The girl-in-a-box turns out to be a princess! Continuing my Kill la Kill comparisons, she reminds me just a bit of Nui Harime. Mainly for her cutesy apperance. I wouldn't be displeased if she turned out to be the key to mend Simon's broken heart and spirit. He might just feel responsible to protect her since he's the one who set her free.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:It still has it moments where it calms down, hopefully it's able to keep your attention, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up just being too board to continue towards the end.
Yeah, I'm mildly worried about that, too. At least in the case of Kill la Kill (Sorry for bringing up that show in seemingly every post, but I believe it compares quite nicely to Gurren Lagann), the shift towards story focus and some of the quirkiness of the different characters helped keep me entertained for the most part.

It's a fair comparison since the team from Gurren Laggan was mostly made up of the people who branched off to form Trigger. In fact Kill la Kill was going to be a Ginax show but the Gurren Laggan movies took priority so it was pushed back. But then the team left and formed trigger and so it ended up being their property and thus they made it.

BlueSpark wrote:By the way, Eira, I believe you've got the episode count mixed up; I shared my views on ep 8 (the pivotal turning point) in my last post.

Yer I know. And I always end up posting after you. Since you were close to doing your Episode 9 post I wanted to add a bit to the conversation of episode 8 before it had transitioned over to episode 9. Since I don't like posting behind what I'm meant to be up to and I haven't gotten around to episode 8 yet, but since I've seen the show I was able to say a little bit and really wanted to, since 8 is such a big deal.

Fun Fact:
Spoiler:
Kamina is mentioned or made reference to in some way in every single episode in Gurren Laggan despite dying this early on. Which goes to show what an impact he had on the world.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Eira wrote:Fun Fact:
Spoiler:
Kamina is mentioned or made reference to in some way in every single episode in Gurren Laggan despite dying this early on. Which goes to show what an impact he had on the world.

Funner Fact
Spoiler:
There's an ashita no joe reference if you can find it.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 am

Looks like I completely misread that sentence of yours, Eira. Thanks for clarifying.

On we go - episode 10:
Spoiler:
Why am I barely surprised the mech of the female general has eyes on its breasts? Funky design choice, but I kind of like it. The whole appearance of her mech, actually. Her personality, though... Bleh.
But in that respect, she doesn't seem to hold a candle to the Spiral King. He's presented as a picture-perfect irredeemable tyrant who treats his subordinates like dirt. Not to even talk about his daughter, whom he exiled without batting an eyelid. I never liked Satsuki Kiryuin, but at least she had respect for her elite guard.

The argument between Nia and Yoko on the deck of the battleship (or battlewalker?) was probably the highlight of the episode for me. It was satisfying to see Yoko snap for once. She'd been holding her grief all bottled up for quite a while. And Simon fulfilled his role in that situation by basically not contributing anything. He'll obviously come into his own later on in the show, so I'm fine putting up with his mopey attitude for now.

My favorite comedic moment, by the way, was Nia's comment directed at Adiane: "Now I see, you are a pissing-off person!" :D. Her lacking vocabulary was milked for quite a bit of fun.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:50 am

Epsiode 11
Spoiler:
Did I completely misinterpret the crew's attitude towards Simon in the last episode? I felt they were a bit annoyed by his sullenness, but not outright hostile towards him. But now they're overtly rejecting Simon (I'm talking about the first half of the episode, of course). Not that I blame them - he essentially is nothing but dead weight at that stage.

While I can't say I support milking over-stereotyped homosexual characters for comedy, Ron frequently cracks me up.This episode: "It's nothing but hot young babes!" - his reply: "What a dreadful village" :D.

So the king simply picks young girls for his harem and convinces them that he's their "father"? That's beyond creepy, but it at least explains how it was so easy for him to discard Nia.
On that note, Nia being so fixated on supporting her "father" all this time, plus the revelation that she isn't 'the only one,' reminds me of Chaika: The Coffin Princess. I won't go into further detail for spoiler reasons, but if you've seen that show, you should catch my drift.

In the end, Simon has his self-confidence back. Honestly a bit sooner than I would've anticipated. And as predicted, it's mainly thanks to Nia's influence. Now I'm curious to see what role she's going to play in the story moving on.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:28 am

My keeping up with this is pretty spotty at best, at least I'm actually catching back up this time.

Episode 11:
Spoiler:
Simon finally being out of his funk is great, I love the character he becomes after going through all of this and coming out acting the way Kamina would of wanted him to. Also something I didn't get to say cause I was late to watch an older episode is that Viral says to Gurren 'I've got a score to settle with you' which makes me think that he doesn't know that Kamina is dead and thus no longer it's pilot.

Either way now that we've gotten all the heavy stuff out the way we can finally move onto the beach episode next, which I totally forgot was even a thing but they made it happen, at least it actually has a lot of relevance, a bunch of cave dwellers would love and be amazed by the ocean and want to check it out.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
So the king simply picks young girls for his harem and convinces them that he's their "father"? That's beyond creepy, but it at least explains how it was so easy for him to discard Nia.

Spoiler:
I don't think that's quite it. Since they simply refer to all the other girls who will be sent to the king as dolls it's a bit unclear. But I think Nia was actually born from the Spiral King and so where the other Princess' over the past thousand years.

Since Nia doesn't have any past memories of growing up in a cave, I think that the girls of that cave are sent to be his wives which he has many of and then as they stated those girls get to live a luxurious wife and then the king also ends up making a lot of kids across all these wives. Guame does say that making children is a pastime for him. So I assume the 'Daughters' are actually his daughters and that's the case with Nia but all the woman who are sent to him are wives who know of their past lives within the caves and are much older.

I'm not sure on this since the wording is vague but that's what I got from it.