Community Watch Along: Nisekoi

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Shaft Community Watch Along?

Maria†Holic / 12 Episodes / Hidive
33%
Summer Storm! / 13 Episods / Crunchyroll
No votes
Nisekoi / 20 Episodes / Crunchyroll, Hulu, Animelab
67%

Total votes: 3

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Nisekoi

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Episode 18

Spoiler:
Aw man poor Chitoge is upset that the guy she either punches or yells at multiple times an episode doesn't think things would have worked out if they actually dated. What did you think he would say? "Oh yeah totally I'm a huge masochist so you're perfect for me!" Get real. It really annoys me that drama with this girl takes up so much time in the show. Tsugumi gets basically 3 minutes of screen now and even Tachibana seems to have less of a presence already because of this crap.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:35 am

Episode 18
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Aw man poor Chitoge is upset that the guy she either punches or yells at multiple times an episode doesn't think things would have worked out if they actually dated.
The tsundere's logic is unfathomable, indeed. Then again, a lack of common sense is hardly rare in the anime realm. It's just that in the series, Chitoge exhibits it the most.

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Tsugumi gets basically 3 minutes of screen now and even Tachibana seems to have less of a presence already because of this crap.
True, it's a shame how these characters have been relegated to the sidelines. Personally, I find the drama surrounding Chitoge interesting enough (I'm a sucker for melodrama, after all, so a little stupidity isn't going to turn me off), but of course I'd prefer to see more of my favorite girl of the show, so I'm conflicted on this matter.
Episode 19
Spoiler:
Nice to have Kosaki finally see what the photo Raku was holding is all about. Thank god the teacher immediately made it clear that Raku had honorable intentions instead of being vague (like "Yeah, he was holding onto this picture which shows you in a state of mild undress") :P. This should make Kosaki respect her chivalrous Raku even more.

I didn't dig the Juliet costume. At all. It's the same phenomenon as when female characters in anime put on a wedding dress: All the male characters have their jaws drop, but it never looks appealing to me in the slightest. Taste will be taste, I guess.

Chitoge's cold-shoulder attitude here is incredibly annoying. This circles back to what Jack posted about episode 18; she's quite insufferable in this state. However, experience shows that the more frustrating the conflict, the more rewarding the resolution when the characters finally reconcile. While the ending of this episode didn't turn out super rewarding, it was enough to appease me.

I will say that getting injured right before the performance sucks hard for Kosaki. However, due to my personal disposition, I of course feel just as bad for Mari, missing her big chance because of a freaking cold :(.
By the way, what are we going to do about the 2nd season? Do you guys want to watch it, too? If so, do we continue right on after episode 20, or do you want to take a break for a couple of days?
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm

BlueSpark wrote:]By the way, what are we going to do about the 2nd season? Do you guys want to watch it, too? If so, do we continue right on after episode 20, or do you want to take a break for a couple of days?

I think we shouldn't inclued it in the watch along. It becomes extremly episodic in nature, not advancing the main storyline much, if at all. It is kind of a letdown in this regard. But beside that, it is still a strong season for the fun of it.

Previous episodes
Spoiler:
marie's reign in this story was short lived. She has been thrown into secondary cast realm, imo.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Episode 19

Spoiler:
Ladder safety is important guys.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm

BlueSpark wrote:By the way, what are we going to do about the 2nd season? Do you guys want to watch it, too? If so, do we continue right on after episode 20, or do you want to take a break for a couple of days?

We can put it to a vote without it being an actual poll, if you blue and jack wanna continue then we can, since I also kinda want to. Even if frag is opposed to it.

If it turns out we will do it then let’s give it a few days, not many just enough for me to be home once we start it up again, since I’m still away. I won’t say when unless we’d decided to do so, so it’s up to you guys!
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:31 am

Eira wrote:Even if frag is opposed to it.

Not strictly opposed to it. I just don't think an episodic season is the aim for a fun watch along.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 am

Episode 20
Spoiler:
It's neat how much significance there is in the choice of the "Romeo and Juliet" play - a story of two lovers from feuding families... Of course, this was explicitly stated later in the episode, but I realized it right at the beginning. Guess I have to retract my statement on Nisekoi picking this Shakespearean work just because.

This school play going off the rails was kind of a foregone conclusion, especially with Shu as the narrator. Chitoge playing Juliet added to the inevitable insanity. It made for a funny story segment this way.
Mari showing up to perform despite her cold is just what I'd expect from her :]. It was a nice touch on her part to include the childhood marriage promise (except that in reality, it was their fathers who made it). And wow, those eyes of hers when she asked her 'brother' to marry her - those eyes reflected the soul of a true yandere 8-).
Given Chitoge's natural stubbornness, her straight-up admitting she's in love with Raku is a monumental step forward, even if it was only in internal monolog. I also appreciated her delivering a more than overdue apology. And gao, the symbolism of the brief shot with their two soda cans touching 'lips' genuinely shocked me :o.

Isn't Raku just the sweetest guy to offer Kosaki a private performance on the roof with him? Of course, he does it just as much for his own sake as for hers, but that's alright since their desires align perfectly.

And finally, you guys get to experience the best ED song of the show :>. Well, in my humble opinion, anyways.
And that's a wrap. I just wanted to mention one more point: Curiously, when I first learned about Nisekoi a couple of years ago, I heard at least two different people call it a very "special" harem show which breaks the conventions of the genre. To this day, I'm puzzled by how anyone would arrive at this conclusion. To me, Nisekoi is almost a perfect prototype of a typical harem. Does anyone have an idea what aspects of this series other people might consider unique or even subversive?

Eira wrote:We can put it to a vote without it being an actual poll, if you blue and jack wanna continue then we can, since I also kinda want to.
I'm all for it. If we end up not doing it, I'll watch the 2nd season on my own, anyways. Can't leave the rewatch unfinished.

fragoff wrote:I just don't think an episodic season is the aim for a fun watch along.
I have to fundamentally disagree. I think episodic series offer a great opportunity to discuss their small, independent stories on a daily basis. Meanwhile, story-driven animes let us chat about the progression. They're two very different flavors, but I think both are suited to the watch-along format.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Episode 20

Spoiler:
Oh sure, lets just bastardize the works of Shakespeare while we're at it. Those gao kids!

I wasn't that big of a fan of this show. I felt most of the jokes were pretty meh and far too many of them just had the punchline of Raku going "WHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT?!" That guy is seriously too high strung. I liked most of the girls aside from absolute worst girl Chitoge as I'm sure you guys know by now. It's a shame Tachibana and Tsugumi were basically non players after their introductory episodes.

All in all I guess my rankings would be:
1. Onodera
2. Tsugumi
3. Tachibana
4. Ruri
5. Teacher
6. Onodera's mom
7. That girl from that one scene
8. Chitoge

I found the story compelling enough at least, I'm still pissed off about how they shuffled off that locket. All in all I give it a 6/10 and all the sparkles in the world won't change my opinion.

I'll probably sit out on season 2, I just have no appetite for it now.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:23 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Image
To be inclined to call this beyond cool, if only there wasn't a certain crucial character missing. No yanderemobil, huh...

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:all the sparkles in the world won't change my opinion.
Made me chuckle, at least :). Too bad you didn't have a great time. Although I won't call myself the biggest fan of Nisekoi, either; if I had to put a number on it, I'd probably rate the show between a 7 and an 8.

Which means it'd pretty much be me and Eira up for season 2, with fragoff potentially joining in if he deigns it so ;).