Community Watch Along: Nisekoi

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Shaft Community Watch Along?

Maria†Holic / 12 Episodes / Hidive
33%
Summer Storm! / 13 Episods / Crunchyroll
No votes
Nisekoi / 20 Episodes / Crunchyroll, Hulu, Animelab
67%

Total votes: 3

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Nisekoi

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 am

fragoff wrote:Episodic AF!!! The mother arc was fun doh...
To be honest, I don't see that much of a difference to season 1. Maybe the 1st season had some more 2-episode arcs, but we just got the same treatment here in eps 3&4. And I don't regard the locket and the keys (basically a carrot on a stick) as a serious plot thread.

Episode 5
Spoiler:
So, Mari needs private tutoring? It's a weird coincidence that I just started watching The Quintessential Quintuplets yesterday, which also happens to star an MC giving some girls extra lessons. One of which has orange hair. Anyway, I'm grateful for one more Mari-centric episode.
And she even goes right back to her sly and provocative ways, butting heads with Chitoge again. That was great :). And it came as no surprise that she'd deliberately flunk her test just to have another private study session with Raku. Girl, you've got one heck of a one-track mind...

Marika's big parrot plan was hilariously elaborate and deviously cunning. And Kosaki's state of denial after hearing the bird spout his innuendos was both amusing and adorable :>. By the way, did My Raku remind anyone else of Inko in Toradora!?

On a side note, what the heck was up with that Raku statue in the ED? That thing looked so goofy, I was scratching my head about whether to find it funny or slightly uncanny.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:28 am

Episode 6
Spoiler:
Valentine's Day, eh? Another staple of the genre.

The small prank Shu pulled on Seishiro might just spur Eira's shipping dreams ;). However, regarding Shu, you might be in for a surprise in one of the upcoming episodes.

I had to laugh when I saw that Mari had build the weird statue from the prior episode's ED in chocolate :D. Eating that can't possibly be healthy for any living creature. Also, it seems unlikely the statue would've fit through any of the school's doors. Details, details, I know.

Chitoge and Kosaki forged a pretty unlikely alliance there, vowing to help each other confess to their respective crush. If only they knew the target of their affection is one and the same...

Overall, I loved how all 4 of the girls got their fair time in the spotlight here. Of course, I particularly enjoyed Marika's involvement. I wonder if we are to assume that she intentionally broke the 1st statue to give Raku a guilty conscience (I know Whiskeyjack would've subscribed to that theory)?

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:34 am

I watched episode 1 and I hope I can watch more tonight because then the next night I'm going to a friends 21st and so I'm gonna be drinking and if I can get an episode ahead it might be fun to try and recall what happened and talk about while absolutely sloshed.

spoilers from episode 1 I guess
Spoiler:
But for now I'll just say that the OP is really good, BlueSpark was right about me enjoying it, although not as much as the second OP from the first season. Although the whole 3 new girls in the OP concerns me, is the harem really going to grow that big!

Although the girl he saves and then gets her skirt blown up is cute.

ED is nice, in terms of music it's better in my book and I also think it has some nice and interesting visuals going on. Also I checked and not to worry, this time the EDs aren't different between DVD and TV air.
Also I only now noticed it's only 12 episodes so I better catch up soon!
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:03 am

Episode 7
Spoiler:
Paula's return was utterly unexpected - and as a transfer student (in 10th grade), no less. Not that she got much screen time in this episode, but it's still neat they'd bring her back instead of completely erasing her from the anime after her episode 2.

So, Eira liked Haru from this season's OP - I'm curious to see if this first impression holds once he's seen her in action. Personally, I find her incredibly irritating, and I have a hard time believing that any viewer could genuinely like the girl at this point. She's incredibly stubborn in clinging to her hate for Raku, which is based on nothing but hearsay. That and an expectedly stupid 'misunderstanding' about Raku peeking at her undies (By the way, was that a convenient gust of wind inside the school building? Oh, you pesky little plot contrivances...).

I will say, though, that I liked how the series introduced Haru as the point-of-view character in this episode. That's something we hardly ever see in harem shows. I enjoyed the change of pace.

Lastly, there was one ridiculous joke in the German dub that I believe was localized quite heavily. In literal translation, Mari asks Raku: "Why don't you go ahead and discard this old girlfriend of yours already? I'll even give you a scrappage premium!" "Scrappage premium" is a translation I had to look up for the German "Abwrackprämie," a discount on a car purchase granted if you leave your old, used car for scrapping in return. I'm pretty sure this is a purely German concept, and seeing it applied to Chitoge as the old car and Marika as the shiny new one gave me a good chuckle :). I wonder what the English subtitled version said instead?

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 am

Episode 8
Spoiler:
The new OP looks pleasant to me, overall. I don't think there's anything remarkable about it music-wise. Chitoge's gorilla suit cracked me up :P. I also think it's hilarious how, once again, Seishiro has the most feminine costume of them all. Shu is perfectly 'cast' as the lecherous villain.

I will say, though, that I can't argue with fragoff's sentiment here - the magical girl half is about as episodic as you can get, and I found it annoying more than anything else (Reminds me of a certain episode in School Rumble, too). This would've worked better as an OVA or special episode, in my opinion.

The 2nd half of the episode was much more welcome. Although Haru is still insufferable, at least she got to geek out with Raku over her sister and over Japanese sweets. Goes to show how intensely people can bond over nerd topics :P.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:05 am

BlueSpark wrote:Episode 8
Spoiler:
I will say, though, that I can't argue with fragoff's sentiment here

I wait for the final review to press my point. Don't worry.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:47 am

Episode 9
Spoiler:
What's this? Chitoge has an alternative hairstyle with 2 ribbons. I like it :>. On the flipside, her bikini top looks eerily similar to the one Seishiro was forced to wear during the beach episode. Not digging that design, personally.

Thumbs up from me for finally getting Paula a bit more involved after they made her return in this 2nd season. At least they gave her a bit of screentime here, even if it wasn't much.

The 2nd half-episode should've been another treat for you guys in the Onodeira faction. Too bad her little sister is part of the family, too :P.

Now, I'm baffled as to why Raku wasn't surprised in the least that Haru had his locket. Did she tell him before? If so, I must've either completely missed or forgotten it. I mean, maybe he could've connected the dots because it went missing after his first encounter with Haru, but still, that would've been mostly speculation.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:51 am

I caught up, bet you all thought it wasn't going to happen but I did it. I had to skip working on my uni assignments today to instead watch 8 episodes of anime in one sitting, but I did it dammit! And so now I got a lot to say, I'll go ahead and watch episode 10 as well but since I got here before a 10 post was made might as well so a caught up post separate from it.

These will all be pretty short bullet point like thoughts.
Episode 2:
Spoiler:
Paula is an interesting enough character for one episode I was actually really happy that they showed constraint and didn't integrate her into the cast, she worked as someone to be used for some Tsugumi development, I didn't enjoy her later being brought in.

Paula is voiced by Manami Numakura, I'm not too familar with her but she's in a handful of franchises' so I'm sure she's important to some people. I only know her from the Older Sister in Euphonium and Ripple in Rising Girl Project. So she basically always sounds like this and that's not surprising, most voice actors that do roles like this can only do roles like this.

Episode 3-4:
Spoiler:
Chitoge mum arc is good, I really liked her and it was hilarious the way she unraveled and everything bad neko about her was just some kind of misunderstanding. Overall I also think it concluded very nicely, it made sense for her to get on the plane and actually be planning to leave but then turn around after what happens, it would of gone against her character to stay without the push she ends up getting. and at least this time they've had the restraint to have her leave once her time is done.

Episode 5:
Spoiler:
Tachibana is as devilish as ever, good for her to get another episode primarily to herself, statue in the ED is super weird.

Episode 6:
Spoiler:
Good episode, tachibana making that huge chocolate statue is insane. Also we never got to see the wish raku must fulfill for her being asked, so is that going to come back later or are we suppose to just infer that it happened off screen? Seeing Chitoge and Onodera working for the same man is kinda crazy you think they'd each notice at some point considering they're both still waiting to figure out who made the promise to Raku with the locket, why be a part of those usual meetings where they discuss it if you didn't want to still be the one.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
The small prank Shu pulled on Seishiro might just spur Eira's shipping dreams.

Spoiler:
I won't lie, it made me happy and I may have audibly cheering during it. Started as a joke that was almost real is fully real now, no one can stop me, this is my Shuu ship now!

Episode 7:
BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
So, Eira liked Haru from this season's OP - I'm curious to see if this first impression holds once he's seen her in action.

Spoiler:
You don't seem to like her, but I still like her, she's a good girl. When she isn't being unreasonable she's so sweet and precious and just like I'd expect a little sister of onodera to be like, I also just think her design really is cute, I like her hair. She's an adorable precious baby and I want to protect her!

Although I'll admit that part of my love for her comes from the voice work which is by the extremely talented Ayane Sakura. She's a pretty big deal, not as big as the two main girls, but still big. And I absolutely love her, and she's in a lot of stuff, even if I just wanted to limit it to roles she did that are important to me personally it'd still be too long. So I'll just say she's got a cute voice as always, shows off a great range as always and dose a lot of cool things with her voice. I love how she covers Haru's many different emotions and stages of hate for Raku she has, it's all played really well.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
There was one ridiculous joke in the German dub that I believe was localized quite heavily. In literal translation, Mari asks Raku: "Why don't you go ahead and discard this old girlfriend of yours already? I'll even give you a scrappage premium!" "Scrappage premium" is a translation I had to look up for the German "Abwrackprämie," a discount on a car purchase granted if you leave your old, used car for scrapping in return. I'm pretty sure this is a purely German concept.

Spoiler:
While that may be the case it's actually not as localized as you thought. Tachibana says "Isn’t it about time you discarded your outmoded girlfriend, and switched over to me? I do offer a discount for switching, you know?" Which Chitoge responds in a manner that I doubt was changed much for you by saying "Don’t talk about me like I’m a used car!" So actually pretty similar.

Episode 8:
Spoiler:
Splitting the episode in half was weird and did highlight the episodic nature of this half more then it had been doing so in the past. But it was a fun enough part, even if I wasn't too fond of it, I can let that slide cause it gave me more Onodera with glasses and that's always a plus. Second half was also nice enough, good to see Haru somewhat warming up, she's a bit Tsundere but it's pretty justifiable based on how Raku was presented to her from her friend and then the madness in the hallway after they first met, not a good look.

Episode 9: Sorry for that I had a lot to say and I felt like I should respond to BlueSpark when he wanted to. Not for the part of the post I should be making.
Spoiler:
Haru is still sweet, I'm glad she's getting so much development way more then the other two first years introduced this season. Paula still feels like execs but at least if she's going to be there they are doing something with her. More then we can say for Fuu, who has gotten next to nothing so far. Maybe they can give her something before the season ends otherwise it feels pretty pointless to even bother.

and since we got a new charcater you know what that means, it's time for Eira's voice actor analysis, no one else dose it even when we have other sub watchers so I must be the one. Plus I think BlueSpark likes knowing about it even with my limited ability to explain how a voice sounds. Kotori Koiwai is pretty average, been in more then a newbie or poor voice actor would get but not much. Pretty stranded amount for a Japanese seiyuu to have but that also means I'm not too familiar with her work although between this and the one other show I've seen her in that already shows some impressive range, so hopefully we can get to hear her some more, her design is also cute enough, but I really can't make a full judgment on her yet.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm baffled as to why Raku wasn't surprised in the least that Haru had his locket. Did she tell him before? If so, I must've either completely missed or forgotten it.

Spoiler:
The way they went about it was really weird and poorly done but basically. When at the end of the episode Raku noticed it was missing and we see that Haru has it, it just cuts to black and white text on screen tells us that Raku found out the truth a few days later. Why we don't get to see this in the next episode and instead just have awkward text on screen is very confusing but that's how they did it. I was also surprised that Raku knew but then remembered the text, and that's only cause I watched it all in one sitting. BlueSpark missed it watching daily, can't imagine for the people who watched it weekly when it aired.

Also from this Raku has now made yet another promised attached to the pendent in some way, this time with Haru, it's getting out of hand now, like it was already out of hand but this is another level, at least some new girl didn't show up with a forth gao key.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:51 am

Up to episode 9
Spoiler:
Eira wrote:Which Chitoge responds in a manner that I doubt was changed much for you by saying "Don’t talk about me like I’m a used car!" So actually pretty similar.
You're right, the concept of the localized joke isn't far from the source. And Chitoge's response is practically identical. Just hearing the word "Abwrackprämie" again (which was sort of a big deal in German media some 15 or so years ago) gave me a good chuckle, though :).

Eira wrote:she's a bit Tsundere but it's pretty justifiable based on how Raku was presented to her from her friend and then the madness in the hallway after they first met, not a good look.
I'll concede that if a good friend tells you to watch yourself around a certain person you've never met, it's fair to expect you'd be very apprehensive. However, the panty-staring accusation is completely ludicrous and just screams "contrived tsundere fuel" to me. So I'm particularly annoyed they keep beating that dead horse afterwards (i.e. Haru repeatedly cites Raku's looking at her panties as an egregious sexual offense when it was clearly nothing more than an accident).

Now, I'll agree with you that she's really cute-looking. And I can empathize when it comes to giving certain characters preferential treatment based on their voice actor/actress (I don't think I could ever not like a Brittney Karbowski or Sarah Williams character). But to me, at least during her introductory episode, Haru's just as bad as Chitoge was at the beginning of the series.

Eira wrote:More then we can say for Fuu, who has gotten next to nothing so far. Maybe they can give her something before the season ends otherwise it feels pretty pointless to even bother.
It's interesting you'd bring her up. One thought going through my mind in yesterday's episode was how I appreciated Haru bringing along a friend who was just... there. Someone who wasn't involved with the whole group, just a good friend wanting to help out Haru. You hardly ever get that in anime - usually, the writers seem to feel as if they're forced to create interactions between the 'new entry' and the established characters. To me, it feels refreshing how Fu occupies a position somewhere between a side character and an extra. In my opinion, there doesn't need to be a "point" to her introduction - someone like her helps make the anime's world more believable to me. Of course, whether Nisekoi aims to be believable or not is an entirely different matter, but I approve regardless.

Eira wrote:When at the end of the episode Raku noticed it was missing and we see that Haru has it, it just cuts to black and white text on screen tells us that Raku found out the truth a few days later.
Ah, that's right. Thanks for the refresher. Such an odd decision...
Episode 10
Spoiler:
I think it's important they finally gave Shu some focus (and simultaneously shatter Eira's fantasies :P? Well, not quite - at the end of the episode, he's still single, after all). I'm not enjoying him as the male sidekick a whole lot, but he's far from the worst, too.

It was nice to see Seishiro being (relatively) honest and helpful to Raku, for once. It's ironic how she's the first person for Raku to confide in regarding this particular question.

Ultimately, it's Miss Kyoko's advice ("Make the most of your youth!") which gave Shu the figurative kick he needed (along with Raku's literal kick, of course) to follow his gut and confess to her. That was a neat touch in my book. And her reply to him in the end was quite satisfying. She's probably the kind of teacher who can form a connection with her students outside of purely academic matters.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:50 am

BlueSpark wrote:Up to episode 9
Eira wrote:
Spoiler:
More then we can say for Fuu, who has gotten next to nothing so far. Maybe they can give her something before the season ends otherwise it feels pretty pointless to even bother.
Spoiler:
I appreciated Haru bringing along a friend who was just... there. Someone who wasn't involved with the whole group, just a good friend wanting to help out Haru. You hardly ever get that in anime

Spoiler:
A fair view to take, but I prefer the way a show like K-On dose it, where all the other class mates have names and voice lines at least once and in some episodes like the cultural festival get a bit more to say and do but never invade that core cast. The fact that Fuu was brought to this event that is mostly made up of characters who get development and that we know implies she should be more important. I don’t mind side class mates getting more then normal but still not development but they shouldn’t be a part of these kind of situations if that’s going to be the case, just how I feel about it.

Episode 10:
Spoiler:
Having a Shuu episode surprised me. But I’m glad it happened and gave him a bit of needed depth. I think maybe this is the point where the mangaka realised issues with the series becoming longer then he may of orginally intended, just a theory but it would explain going into the second year and introducing new character via first year students rather then more transfer students and also giving charctaers like Shuu and Ruri more depth. Although this episodes make Ruri look pretty lacking now.

Storyboarding (cinematography bascially) for this episode was stellar, two big stand outs would be the scene where Raku and shuu talk early on. The shots combined with construction of the gazebo with all its circles and walls just made for some really interesting shots. And also when Raku tries to have Shuu go after Ms.Kyoko, the lighting and cloud movements where great and lot of cool shots like a show of stairs with lighting flashing off in the distance to impose Raku shadow on the stairs. Felt like a lot more directing and storyboarding went into the episode then others.

So I looked into it and sure enough this episode had a different director who did episodes 5 & 10. I don’t recall episode 5 catching my interest as much as this episode did but maybe I just wasn’t paying as much attention on my binge. Either way this episode was done by Midori Yoshizawa, can’t find too many credits for him him but I hope he has more, was really impressed with his stuff.

And the stroy bording for the episode was done by KAZUI Hiroko, who has a very large range of credits and some really interesting ones like being a key animator for the Pokémon 4ever movie. He also did episode 3 and 12 for this season and episode 3 of the first season, again I never noticed before but I guess this episode was just the right combination of factors. The key animator for the episode would of also had something to do with it, those clouds where well done but I don’t know who would handle that job as it also looks like CG or at least heavily digitally assisted.

Just wanted to give those two shout outs cause so many aspects of anime production can get overlooked but when I notice it so much like this I should at least give attention to it.

‘Shuu X Tsugumi tease! YES!’ Is literally written in my notes for this episode, haha. It was good to see even though if it only lead to nothing and was mainly done for Tsugumi to give advice on loving someone who doesn’t know about it.

Shuu being serious is an interesting thing to see. In fact, this whole episode was more serious then usual, but I like it when anime romances get into the more serious parts of love, sakurasou is one of my favourite romance cause it starts hard comedy and ends up hard drama and the way it’s transitions and continues to balance the two aspects together is something I really enjoy. So while giving us a more heavy episode isn really the thing, I enjoyed it all the same.

Also good on Raku asking Onodera to walk home with him, baby steps I guess. But it’s good to see him actually doing something and being an active character. It should be the protagonist or other characters moving the plot forward on purpose and not just because they’re all being controlled by a series of misunderstandings.

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
I think it's important they finally gave Shu some focus and simultaneously shatter Eira's fantasies.

Alright listen here you, are we gonna have a problem.

I agree with most of the rest of what you said, feel that’s made evident in my post. Also know I’m basicaly a day late but might as well keep up like this, better then falling behind again.