The Great Kemono Friends Flame War

Current and Classic Animation!
Eira
Anime Junky

The Great Kemono Friends Flame War

Postby Eira » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:56 am

Prelude
So there's been a lot of flame war around Kemono Friends as of recent and it's pretty crazy trying to keep up with it, it mainly began due to distaste towards the second season and now a whole slew of crazy information has been coming out and it's all pretty crazy.

It's mainly focused in japan but thanks to a friend and his translation works I've been able to put together a post I'm pretty happy with and we can all talk about it hopefully, but get strapped in cause this is pretty long and crazy! This took awhile to do and bring all the information together so don't let it go to waste and hopefully let's just have a crazy talk about this crazy situation.

To start off, basically there's a conspiracy theory that kemono friends was originally intended as essentially a 'shell project' designed purely to recruit aspiring seiyuus into something like a prostitution business. Important to restate that its only a conspiracy theory. However some of the evidence people bring up to support it is interesting and goes quite deep and is at least worth looking at, I feel. Now Japan is known for shady stuff and this being the entertainment business in japan can make it seem a bit likely, even though it's pretty crazy.

Twitter
A fairly meaty part revolves around this image, forgive me as it's in Japanese. Image This is people attempting to show that one of the producers of kemono friends season 1 and 2 is also running a twitter sub-account that basically goes around bashing tatsuki and people who support him whilst defending season 2. Since they both end in the same numbers as Hosoya's facebook recovery.

Adding to this is that if you look at the amount of tweets praising certain people, Hosoya gets the most praise, doesn't help that all these accounts tend to tweet around the same time. Then on the 15th of April the official TV tokyo kemono friends website released an apology relating to things that a staff member said on social media without mentioning at all who or what was said.

Oricon later made an article that specifically mentioned the producers name in reference to the article. Oricon is a big deal new site in japan and pretty respectable. They later removed the name because the official apology doesn't mention who they're talking about. However this is interesting because it shows that everyone believes it's Hosoya, it's just not confirmed by anyone official.

Here's the apology translated:
"Apology - Concerning social media comments
In regards to the Kemono Friends 2 broadcasting, a member of our staff has made inappropriate comments on social media that have offended viewers.
In regards to the project's ratings (read: season 2 was bashed for being poorly made), we intend to earnestly accept judgement. As the creators we believe that the criticism is important.
We deeply apologise for this incident."

So as far as official apologies go this is pretty generic. Realistically it adds nothing but people say it's more evidence that the twitter sub-account is hosoya's since he's a staff member of TV tokyo. Bascially it's a nothing apology that had to be made. They don't confirmed who it was or what they said so people who aren't involved in any of this will push it aside as some minor incident they don't really care about but apologizing wont make the people who are digging into this stuff suddenly be stop, so it's more like a necessary step rather than an honest effort to apologies.

Yakuza Conspiracy Theory
So this is a pretty good summary for the theory, majority of this is not being said by me (unless clearly states as such) but is rather a translation of a majority of the conspiracy theory. Also keep in mind that this obviously represents nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

TRANSLATION BEGINS:
Kemono Friends Project was actually originally meant to be a trap for newbie seiyuus resulting in them ending up in the prostitution business or 'sexual favors' part of the entertainment business. An anime set up by AGN 'Age Global Networks, a sponsor/member business of the project' that was meant to bait women with the dream of entering the seiyuu business, and nothing more... foiled by FukuharaP (the head of Yaoyorozu) and the success of Tatsuki's season 1.

(Eira here: Ever since suspected links between AGN and the yakuza were revealed, this theory has been gaining steam, with some commenting that it's reminiscent of the foreshadowing of season 1)

Proposed evidence (Spoiler tagged as there's a lot and this going to be rather long)
Spoiler:
- AGN, a company with little to no experience in the anime production business is suddenly chosen to be one of the main sponsors of Kemono Friends Project (KFP). The head of AGN was reported in tabloids to have previously worked at a company with connections to the yakuza.
- Basically unheard of companies participating in KFP, their only connection being that their heads worked at the same company the head of AGN previously worked at.
- The fact that Kadokawa somehow could not solve the 25/9 Kemono Friends incident (the conflict surrounding Tatsuki being removed from KFP) & Kadokawa giving up rights to many Kemono Friends productions, despite the success of season 1.
- The connection between the head of AGN, Kato, and Mine Yoshizaki. (the head director of KFP)
- For some reason many other anime had their producers changed to HosoyaP.
- HosoyaP has an odd obsession with seiyuu.
- The fact that FukuharaP went to rather extreme lengths to prevent HosoyaP and others from interacting with the seiyuus. (usually sending them straight home on taxis after recordings, etc.)
- The fact that Tatsuki always hid his face when making media appearances.
- Reports in tabloids that seiyuus working at AGN were also working at kyabakura bars.
- The 25/9 incident would then make sense. (removing irodori, a small company, from the project could have been an attempt at bankrupting them)
- The fact that auditions for the new Kemono Friends seiyuu unit required applicants to not already be working with another agency and also to submit their 3-size measurements. (bust, waist and hip measurements)
- Photos purported to show Numata (the animation producer) with the underage female applicants at 2AM. Numata's response denied he or any minors were there, as well as denying that Mine Yoshizaki was there, saying instead the photographs mainly showed other staff members. But why would they need to deny Yoshizaki's attendance if the minors weren't there in the first place...?
(Eira Side Note: The underage word used is '未成年' which means 'not yet adult' and refers to under 20 in japan, they could of been 18 or 19)
- The large amount of Aikatsu chorus vocals who quit as soon as Hosoya became the producer. (Hosoya became producer mid-season 1)
- Akari-sensei (a small blogger whose free practice audition script was stolen and used by AGN when running auditions for KF season 2) disappeared from the internet after being sent the message, "We'd like to directly meet you and apologise." After several months of silence, Akari-sensei posted again saying they hadn't been posting because of the attention brought on them by the scandal.
- Numata sending fansite, "We'd like to meet directly and talk."
- Numata's, "If we could meet at the Yakatabune (a private boat)". Along with the previous message sent to the fansite, the question arises, why does he keep inviting people to talk in closed off spaces? If he has something to say, why doesn't he just do it through public communication channels?
- In the first place, why did they make an anime for an app that was being shut down?
- There are also suspicions that the 'True Friends' (a term used to refer to those who attack season 1 and defend season 2) are being controlled/organised by some organisation, or AGN directly.
- The unusual internet bashing of Tatsuki only after he was removed from KFP.
- The sudden slow in 'True Friend' activity after AGN comments. The 5chan Kemurikusa hate thread in particular slowed to 10% of its earlier pace.
- The unusual codes used by some 'True Friends' to avoid being searched suggests some degree of organisation. (Kemono Friends Channel, a fansite, being called '12 characters')
- The wording of responses to the direct meeting incidents take the viewpoint of AGN, "Regardless of whether you come or not."
- The existence of accounts who tweeted about the invitation extended to Kemono Friends Channel BEFORE the invitation was revealed.
There are also unusual points related to previous KFP tieups.
- "Kemono Friends Garden" was an exhibition of various animals, but had no relation to the anime, and even showcased animals that did not appear in the app.
- In the tieup with the Mukojima Police Station, Yoshizaki did not produce a piece of artwork, despite having produced over a hundred pieces for other tieups.

And there's still more!

Response
I want to go more into the keeping 'Under 20s' up at hotels.
This is part 1/2 of the odd response that was mentioned.
"There's a story going around that I'm the person who was keeping up minors until late in the night, but the people in the pictures going around are mostly members of our staff. Obviously there were no minors, and Yoshizaki-sensei wasn't there either. I have also received messages that say they will report me to the police, but it would be a bother, so I would appreciate if you would refrain from doing so."

One interesting comment on the page reads "Notably the person who uploaded the pictures was HosoyaP, so it's odd that Numata is the one explaining."

Now keep in mind that a lot of this is quite recent stuff, mostly all this month, so we probably wont get anything hard, after all this is the entertainment business: notorious for sexual abuse power scandals, combined with Japan: notorious for being generally a bad place for gender equality. But there might be a few other pieces that leak over the coming weeks, after all TV tokyo's apology was basically public acceptance that Hosoya was running the twitter sub-account, so that's something.

This is all pretty crazy, I talked about it in the discord a little but wanted to make a better post that laid it all out and hopefully you all wanna talk about this or at the least find it interesting the same way I do. Big thanks to a friend of mine for translations and helping me put this together, couldn't of done it without him.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: The Great Kemono Friends Flame War

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 am

I'm taking in this post with mild interest. I've never seen any of Kemono Friends, and you probably already know that I don't bother to get involved much with behind-the-scenes stuff in the anime industry. Or sex scandals in general, for that matter. It's a sad truth that stuff like this keeps happening, and I frankly don't like to let depressing news like this get me down, so I avoid paying them attention. Call it a self-preservation instinct ;).

It sounds like this debate could lead right back into another iteration of the "art vs. artist" argument. Sorry, but I'm not looking to get involved, especially since I've never seen the show in the first place.

The fact that auditions for the new Kemono Friends seiyuu unit required applicants to not already be working with another agency and also to submit their 3-size measurements.
This made me rub my eyes and check again to see if I read correctly. Being asked to provide this very personal bit of information in a voice-acting job application smells beyond fishy; it's downright baffling. Definitely doesn't inspire confidence in the employer's moral integrity.

All that aside, big props for your thorough outline, Eira. It's a great piece of work that'll hopefully get people other than me interested in striking up a conversation about it.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:59 am

BlueSpark wrote:
The fact that auditions for the new Kemono Friends seiyuu unit required applicants to not already be working with another agency and also to submit their 3-size measurements.
This made me rub my eyes and check again to see if I read correctly. Being asked to provide this very personal bit of information in a voice-acting job application smells beyond fishy; it's downright baffling. Definitely doesn't inspire confidence in the employer's moral integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9IuORq1svY

this is kind of a thing now

I'm not saying it justifies any of this I am trying to give a possible answer to the 3 sizes question. the seiyuu are out in the public a lot more then they used to be and it seems to be a thing now. they will be in the forefront more and more often. so they're appearances for however relevant or irrelevant we cling to it they will probably start judging they're seiyuus more on their attractiveness.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 pm

I have an explanation: Because it's JAPAN!!!!

Now i should probably go to the hospital to heal my bleeding eyes after seeing the sonic movie trailer. This is the real scandal!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed May 01, 2019 1:48 am

Chris wrote:I'm not saying it justifies any of this I am trying to give a possible answer to the 3 sizes question. the seiyuu are out in the public a lot more then they used to be and it seems to be a thing now. they will be in the forefront more and more often. so they're appearances for however relevant or irrelevant we cling to it they will probably start judging they're seiyuus more on their attractiveness.

I know that is a fact but it’s still not common to have to have your three sizes listed before going to an interview, that’s a little bit odd. Plus it’s more so just made worse when combined with the other evidence, like staying up with seiyuu in hotels, the producer being obsessed with seiyuu, and requiring them to not have other ties is also quite rare, which is why people think it’s a newbie trap, no seiyuu who’s actually popular would be free of other ties.

fragoff wrote:I have an explanation: Because it's JAPAN!!!!

Considering that this a theory that begun in japan and has gained steam in japan and that a majority of what I have is from Japanese sources I don’t think it’s fair to say that. It clearly doesn’t happen for every single situation, yes it’s more common then in some other countries but that still doesn’t justify or explain everything about this. Not every anime is taken a failed property and making an anime about it with weird rules in order to try and get girls into the sexual favours part of the industry. That’s not normal and the fact that a large number of fan are committed to exposing this shows that.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560