Community Watch Along: Flying Witch

Current and Classic Animation!

What Should We Watch For The Iyashikie Watch Along?

Poll ended at Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 am

SoniAni: Super Sonic The Animation / HIDIVE /Crunchyroll / Prime Video
33%
Flying Witch / Crunchyroll / Hulu / HIDIVE
67%
New Game! / Crunchyroll
No votes

Total votes: 3

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Flying Witch

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 am

Episode 6
Spoiler:
We finally see the witches flying! ... Well, more like lazily hovering a couple of feet above ground. But hey, it counts for something, right?
I was struck by a certain quote in the dubbed dialog: "Your broom is just a tool that clears away gravity" (Akane). Given the common function of a broom - you know, clearing away dirt -, that sounds like a poetically fitting description for its magical use.

I like the idea of Chinatsu deciding to become a witch in training. I hope they'll continue this neat little character arc in the remaining episodes and not simply leave it as an episodic idea.

Truth be told, I'm a bit scared of Akane now. She must have quite a sadistic streak to subject both her sister and her newfound apprentice to the effects of these enchanted... scratch that, cursed snacks. I mean, an hour of non-stop crying or laughing may sound like harmless fun to us as viewers, but I'm sure it'd be quite an unpleasant experience for those who actually have to endure it.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am

Episode 7
Spoiler:
Alright, the witch apprentice Shinatsu plot point has been picked up again, just like I hoped it would. Good. And Makoto and Akane are capitalizing on her aspirations to coax her into trying some food she doesn't particularly favor. I suppose that's one way to convince kids to eat their veggies: Tell them it'll help develop magical powers!

It was also cool to see some more characterization for Nao in this episode - every little bit helps. Plus Kei's fear of ghosts was pointed out again, which is a nice touch. I appreciate anything that breaks through the episodic walls.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 pm

On the day when we did episode 5 I actually got upto episode 5 and then fell asleep half way through it. So I was so close to catching up and since then I’ve been busy. This week has been and this weekend will be packed with assignments being due. It’s just been really hard to keep up with most things overall with so much going on.

I don’t think I’ll catch up in time for episode 7, so I apologise for that. Might make a new outdated post tomorrow if I don’t catch up for episode 8, talk about some more voice actors or something. Just do there’s SOMETHING going on from my end.

It’s about a month away from winter break here so all the semesters work is starting to come together and exams are close, just a really unfortunate time. As if any time seems to be fortunate with me. It’s a wonder I ever even am able to watch any anime.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat May 18, 2019 10:39 am

Episode 8
Spoiler:
I was surprised they actually carried over the cafe story 'arc' into this episode. It was a nice setting. Imagining that the two ladybugs were actually out on a date was unexpectedly sweet :>. I think there should be a spin-off centered around them.

Akane's laid-back attitude regarding her failed experiment was pretty fun. I find her to be a super enjoyable character to watch.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 am

As you may or may not have noticed, I didn't post yesterday. I was visiting my brother and didn't really watch any anime. Since I'm the only one keeping this thread going, I figure it doesn't matter one way or another if we get delayed by a day or two.

Episode 9
Spoiler:
When Kei (I believe) mentioned school early in the episode, it hit me that we haven't seen Makoto at school a single time so far. And then, we only get to see her and Nao on the roof, not even in the classroom. It's almost ironic, given how anime is notorious for its 'overuse' of the school setting, yet Flying Witch almost seems to go out of its way to not include any scenes taking place there.
I also noticed that both Makoto and Nao aren't wearing a school uniform like all the other students in the background. What's up with that?

In the 2nd half, Inukai returned. I'm really pleasantly surprised by how this series, which feels like it was made to accommodate a highly episodic plot structure, keeps circling back to previous characters and events (like Chinatsu bringing up the spring harbinger again at the cafe). Stuff like this always earns some bonus points with me.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon May 20, 2019 5:46 am

BlueSpark wrote:As you may or may not have noticed, I didn't post yesterday. Since I'm the only one keeping this thread going, I figure it doesn't matter one way or another if we get delayed by a day or two.

Yer, it's fine really. Gives me a bit more time to catch up anyway, once again I've absolutely failed to keep up with the watch along, I need to figure out a system for it or something.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue May 21, 2019 6:14 am

Episode 10
Spoiler:
Right after I remarked in my last post how we haven't seen Makoto at school yet, of course this episode would take place right there, as if to prove me wrong :P. We still didn't get to see her interact with any of the other students, but I guess that's alright.

Good to see Nao get some more screen time and have her personality fleshed out a little. Her reactions to the different steps of cooking were priceless - especially when it came to mixing the minced meat :D. The way she described how it felt was pretty relatable, too.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 am

Not quite there, got up to episode 9 but now it’s 3 AM, and I’m tired, and I have class at 8:30.

Don’t have any comments to make as far as the seiyuus, I’ll make a post tomorrow about the ones I haven’t done yet, just reacuring of course.

So although I saw episode 9, which was nice, I mainly wanna talk about episode 8!

Spoiler:
episode 8 is easily the best episode of the series thus far. Carrying over the café from the last episode was a surprise move and I’m glad they did it. Plus I just love the whole situation, seeing all these different characters coming into the café. The ladybug couple was really nice, the Fox was cute, and the veil of darkness actually being really nice made me smile, I also really liked it’s design.

Tbh you could make a whole anime out of this café, the whole setting an anime in a place that serves and making it be about the whacky customers is overdone but I would love one set here. Also cause the blond mum and daughter are cute and so is the ghost girl, I like her design and the smile she has when she still thinks no one can see her.

Also not only was the café carried over from the last episode but it also lasted for pretty much the entire episode, making it one of the longest single segment of a story yet. Also the ending with Akane turning the whole area black and white was nice too. Oddly enough since we just had the café aspect carry over and had begun to see many other small aspects carry across episodes I thought the black colouring was going to spread across the entire world and would either just be an aspect of the world after that or would be something akane and makoto would have to spend an episode trying to fix, maybe introduce some more witches and other aspects of the world while they’re at it. And while I would of loved that it was still nice enough as a gag.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed May 22, 2019 2:55 am

Episode 8
Spoiler:
Eira wrote:I thought the black colouring was going to spread across the entire world and would either just be an aspect of the world after that or would be something akane and makoto would have to spend an episode trying to fix
That seriously sounds like an epic idea to me. Although to keep with the tone of the show, they'd have to almost shrug it off as a joke instead of portraying it as an actually alarming situation.
Episode 11
Spoiler:
I do not remember Anzu having this sort of droopy and self-contented aura about her in the cafe episode. I quite like it, though. Reminds me a bit of Yui Hirasawa, a.k.a. best girl in K-On! :>.

Also, education on hot cakes vs. pancakes. Can't say the idea lacks originality. This makes me want to eat American-style pancakes again, which I've only had a handful of times in my life.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 23, 2019 2:11 am

Episode 12
Spoiler:
I liked the setup of the first half, although I was really expecting Makoto to get more sidetracked. Good thing she had Chito and Nao to guide her :P.

The grond fish were a neat idea. You know, I bet ground fish tastes almost as good as ground meat... OK, I'm going to hide in my closet now.
Guess that's a wrap. Although a random thought popped into my head at the beginning of this episode: Do iyashikei-type stories actually 'work' as mangas? I kind of feel the relaxed music and warm visuals are key elements to creating the whole atmosphere. Not that I could make an educated judgment since I'm not a manga reader. Just curious.