Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Work Place Anime Watch Along?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Servant x Service / 13 Episodes / Crunchyroll
No votes
New Game! / 12 Epiosdes / Crunchyroll
25%
Aggressive Retsuko (ONA) / 10 Episodes / Netflix
75%

Total votes: 4

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Work Place Anime [RE-VOTING PHASE]

Postby Eira » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Once again we must do a re-vote, I say once again but I guess flying witch started without issue. But what eventually became nisekoi had a similar mess although caused for a different reason. Either way I restarted the vote, Fullmetal didn’t want to change his vote and it’s obvious Bakuman won’t win again so I added in my own nomination which I was going to do with the original anyway before jack surprised me by showing up.

Aggressive Retsuko (ONA) Specially the ONA one to be clear, the Netflix one. I’ve heard nothing but good things. I was going to nominate Working!! Since I’ve been meaning to watch that for a long time but it also lacks a dub and I’m surpriseded by how many Work Place anime’s don’t have dubs, what a weird thing.
Last edited by Eira on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm

enjoy my vote for retsuko, easily the only series here worth a gao

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:16 am

Eira wrote:I’m surorided by how many Work Place anime’s don’t have dubs, what a weird thing.
For what it's worth, I've luckily been able to watch Shirobako in German. But yeah, it doesn't seem to be a genre favored for dubbing by licensing companies.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Postby Eira » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:50 am

And finally, exactly 1 week after the last vote passed this one has passed and this time Aggressive Retsuko is the winner, this one should work, nominated by Eira, which is me. If only nominated 2-3 times I’m pretty sure so that’s a nice surprise for one of them to actually work.

And I will be able to watch this one, obviously I’d only vote for one I can also watch. Been meaning to get into this one for awhile now anyway, although that seems to be the case with everything that wins, so as always it’s a good reason to do so.

Head Director: Rareko
Studio: Fanworks
Genre: Comedy & Slice of Life
Duration: 10 Epsiodes

First Episode Viewing Date: 10th June 2019
Episodes Per Day: 1

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:51 am

Episode 1
Spoiler:
The simplistic artstyle is really something else. If I hadn't known going into it, I never would've guessed this was an anime series. It feels much more like a Western cartoon - which kind of makes sense given that it's a Netflix production. Aggressive Retsuko reminds me of Panty and Stocking in that respect.

That said, I was positively surprised by the visuals for the very first RAGE moment early on in the episode. Also loved the impromptu 'singing' session in the restroom - that's when I thought "Ooohhh, this is what she brought the mic for!" :D. The actual karaoke scene at the end wasn't quite as funny to me in comparison (except for the moment the waiter walked in - that was priceless).

One girl badmouthing the other behind her back and then immediately going and kissing up to her - classic stuff for an office comedy, right there. I guess a large part of the concept is based on the employees being terrible people. That's why I was all the more surprised when the wolf guy immediately offered to help Retsuko with the extra work her boss piled onto her. It's reassuring to know there will (probably) be some likeable characters in this show, too.

Cristina Vee is lending her voice to our protagonist - I'm looking forward to seeing how she'll portray some of the more crazy moments that'll undoubtedly follow in the upcoming episodes. Plus Todd Haberkorn plays the boss pig's right-hand man, which is a natural fit for him; Todd is frequently cast in ever-so-slightly despicable, minor-villain roles.
In all, I'm quite well entertained so far. Good start.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Episode 1:
This was just plain great.
Spoiler:
I loved the visuals of the show, obviously Sanrio is only as big as it is cause of it's character design and they know what they're doing. But also the way they animated was really nice and clean.

This show was relatable right from the get go, that whole burring myself in the depths of my bed and needing to count before I'm able to force myself out and get ready for the day is something I have to do often. And don't even get me started on annoying people on the train, I can't stand some people. Although I don't find solice in rage singing and I've been so clumsy and in a rush as to wear the wrong shoes.

The characterization of typical people at work is hilarious. The boss being a pig is obviously a perfect fit. Annoying co workers who keep showing you pictures of their kids and nephews, and of course the absolute bitchy girl who thinks she's an idol and sucks up to the boss and obviously gets by doing less work with her looks.

I really enjoyed Fenneko, her analyzing someones social media page is the kind of crap I do. Plus the whole way so many people clearly despise others but have to be nice to them is captured great by her and Retsuko mainly in this episode, which is sometime I also grow tired of. By the time a week reaches Friday I'm so sick of being fake nice to people, it's exhausting.

Washimi and Gori are also absolutely perfect representation of powerful work place woman, also when Gori complained about the way she walk hurting her back was priceless. In fact the whole episode was full of priceless moments, it's very funny and very relatable and I genuinely laughed out loud multiple times.

I love it so far, can't wait to watch more. Also no VA analysis today because there's a lot and I'm tired right now so I'll hopefully do it tomorrow.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 am

Episode 1
Spoiler:
Eira wrote:By the time a week reaches Friday I'm so sick of being fake nice to people, it's exhausting.
I'm honestly glad I've never had to deal with this issue. In both of my workplaces thus far, I've largely liked my colleagues - at least the ones I had regular contact with. But I guess it also comes down to my personality - I have a knack for getting along with pretty much anyone while not conversing a lot.
Of course, if we're talking work with direct customer contact, that's a different story entirely. But that's not what the show is about, so I'll assume it's irrelevant to your point.
Episode 2
Spoiler:
Retsuko's mad dash to the restroom to blow off steam didn't fail to amuse me this 2nd time, either. I feel this will develop into a "running" gag (mad punz, BlueSpark, mad punz) that I'm going to enjoy a lot.

Her initial reaction to her friend's offer (starting a business together) is exactly how I would respond in that kind of situation. I'm not cut out for self-employment. At all. I need the security of a fixed salary in my life.
Of course, it helps that unlike Retsuko, I'm mostly content with my office job :P, so there isn't really a conflict for me.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Episode 1

DnD kept me from watching yesterday but I'm ready to catch up. This is my second time watching and with season two getting released on Friday next to perfect timing. I think the opening scene really captures what this show is about, naive youngsters going into work full of optimism only to destroy your ankle and wonder where it all went wrong.

I like everyone we were introduced to today except Ton, he's just a jerk.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Episode 2

Not too much for me to say on this one, just more people being jerks to Retsuko.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19