Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Work Place Anime Watch Along?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Servant x Service / 13 Episodes / Crunchyroll
No votes
New Game! / 12 Epiosdes / Crunchyroll
25%
Aggressive Retsuko (ONA) / 10 Episodes / Netflix
75%

Total votes: 4

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:44 am

Episode 6
Spoiler:
This was probably my favorite episode yet. It had a lot of actual substance to it.

For one, I'm really liking the bird lady (Washimi, is it? I'm just now starting to pick up most of the names, which, I imagine, tends to be a bit harder when you only hear them spoken instead of seeing them spelled out). Both for how deftly she handles her boss and how she actually gives reasonable and helpful advice to Retsuko.

I was surprised to realize that I was also on board with the deer girl's (Sunota?) angle on the whole butt-kissing business; I think she made quite a bit of sense. Not that I think she's morally in the right since her gaining preferential treatment means more work for the other employees... But I can sort of empathize with her.
I was equally surprised to see that shee's completely on to Fenneko hating her, too. The girl is unexpectedly perceptive.

Lastly, it's awesome how Washimi and Miss Orangutan (Just confirmed her name as "Gori" from Jack's post) are now basically Retsuko's confidantes. The magical power of bonding over a karaoke session, I guess.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 am

Episode 6

This episode is the one that made me really like Tsunoda, and not just because of how self aware she is. What I really like about her is how animated she always is. The constant sparkles in her eyes, shaking of the head as she talks, and how her feet are always moving. I love it all.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:45 am

Epsiode 6
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:What I really like about her is how animated she always is. The constant sparkles in her eyes, shaking of the head as she talks
It's such a weird coincidence you'd mention this, since I was contemplating adding a comment in my last post on how the constant shaking/twitching of her eyes annoys me :P. If I were to put a fancy label on it, I'd call it 'visually disquiet'. Maybe. All I know is that I'm not a fan.
Episode 7
Spoiler:
Now, I said that I don't usually mind being polite towards other people at work. But going drinking with colleagues (and superiors) out of a sense of social obligation - that's a dreadful prospect. Not least because I don't drink alcohol ;), but besides that, I don't usually enjoy sitting around and talking enough for it to be worth sacrificing my me-time as an introvert. Exceptions made for close friends, of course.

Fenneko's "I'm just going to ruin people's selfies" cracked me up so hard XD. That sounds just like her.

Retsuko and her boss starting to bond over a beer gave me an uplifting feeling - at least for about half a minute until things started to go south again. Ton's comment that he hates women brought me to the amusing realization that he's a literal chauvinist pig.

By the way, when the crowd was cheering "Retsuko! Retsuko!", I noticed that her name sounds a lot like "Let's go!". Which would've worked just as well for a cheer (in English). Kind of neat if you ask me.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:00 am

Episode 7

Spoiler:
Poor Haida, didn't even get to sit next to Retsuko.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 am

Episode 7
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Poor Haida, didn't even get to sit next to Retsuko.
Yup, he's got rotten luck. I've never specifically been in a scenario where I was wishing to sit next to my crush (I've only really had 2 or 3 crushes in my life, anyway). But there have been enough times I've been to a party / dinner / social gathering where I would've liked to sit next to someone I wanted to chat to - and was instead relegated to a spot at the end of the table. It's not a great feeling.
Episode 8
Spoiler:
Who ever came up with the concept of going out for drinks with collegues on a night before a workday? At least in this case, everyone getting seriously smashed to the point of obliterating their memory worked in Retsuko's favor.

Fenneko was super fun again this episode, this time in her role as the overprotective friend. Her claws look like they're nothing to toy with.

When Retsuko bonded with the sales guy (I didn't quite catch his name - something like Rusasuke?) via texting, I was so feeling her moment of relief - it was like divine salvation to an introvert. No wonder she'd immediately start viewing him through rose-tinted glasses. Now I'm very curious to see what becomes of the two of them.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:18 pm

I guess i should post that i may just like aggretsuko
Last edited by Fullmetal-Senpai on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Episode 8

I enjoy Fenneko and Haida's friendship. They're a perfect combo. And some more good Tsunoda action.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:58 am

Episode 9
Spoiler:
Retsuko's love-struck vision in this episode was awesome :>. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think I remember any other anime using this kind of imagery to signify a character being on cloud 9. Which seems kind of odd given the vast amounts of romance shows I've consumed.

I can't help but admit that I see a bit of myself in Resasuke. I mean, I'm not that apathetic, but there isn't much that rattles me. Plus, as much as I try to be a gentleman around ladies, I'm sadly not very observant, so I might've missed her feet hurting just like he did.

I found his tiger colleague meddling in Resasuke's love affairs quite annoying, but at the same time, I guess it was kiiind of necessary to get their relationship started in the first place. Resasuke really isn't much good at gentlemanly conduct when not supervised. Although one may argue he doesn't need to be - every person (even anthropomorphized animals in Japanese cartoons) has their flaws, and every couple has their own chemistry.

The closing duet was hilariously clumsy and sweet at the same time. "You're the girl who barfed at the singles party" is such a flattering line, isn't it :P? Of course, the best part is that the song is dubbed, like all music in the show. I guess Netflix don't half-ass things when they decide to localize something.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Episode 9

Spoiler:
I loved Washimi and Gori's comments about Resasuke after Retsuko left the room. Resasuke is incredibly bland, and while there's nothing wrong with that calling him cool would definitely raise some eyebrows.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:03 am

Episode 10
Spoiler:
Huh... 2 episodes ago, I certainly didn't expect their relationship would end up hurting pretty much everyone around, including Retsuko herself. But yeah, I suppose loving (not to confuse with "falling in love") someone like Resasuke would be challenging for any woman - after all, in a relationship, you're supposed to make your partner feel special.
Still, I sympathize with the guy. Not everybody's made for romance and a life in partnership. I've only ever had one girlfriend, and at this point in my life, I feel that living as a single is what suits me best. I can even relate to Resasuke keeping his home full of potted plants as 'companions' - it's not something I do, but as a high-level introvert, coming back to your apartment to have your own quiet time to yourself is a wonderful feeling.

I was thoroughly impressed when Ton gave Retsuko sound and even poetic advice on her relationship :o. That came completely out of the blue and actually made him seem cool for the first time in the show.

I also appreciated the little detail where, at the end, Retsuko's jump mirrored the scene from the first episode, but this time, she didn't mess up. It's quite reminiscent of K-On! for me. You know, the scene in episode 1 where Yui gets distracted every other step on her way to school vs. the final episode, where she beelines her way there with utter focus (Well, as much focus as Yui Hirasawa can muster, anyway).
This anime was a highly enjoyable ride - quite possibly my favorite watch-along series yet! I'll definitely check out season 2 once it's dubbed.

Is anyone up for adding on the OVA ("We Wish You a Metal Christmas") tomorrow? No idea whether it's accessible via streaming, though.