Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Work Place Anime Watch Along?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Servant x Service / 13 Episodes / Crunchyroll
No votes
New Game! / 12 Epiosdes / Crunchyroll
25%
Aggressive Retsuko (ONA) / 10 Episodes / Netflix
75%

Total votes: 4

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:21 am

Episode 3
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I don't think Ton is gonna take Anai seriously at all. We already know he thought Anai sucked.
Yeah, that makes sense. I hope that you're right. Because screw Anai.
Episode 4
Spoiler:
Retsuko's "vehicular freedom" scream at the beginning of the episode cracked me up. Especially since she was only driving at a pedestrian's pace :D.

I was stoked by how Haida started handling Anai, and I thought it was actually going to work in getting the guy to see reason. No such luck, as it seems... Now Haida has become a target, too. At least he's got something to bond over with Retsuko now ;].
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Episode 4

Spoiler:
I can't wait for Anai to send one of those emails to Fenneko, she's gonna destroy that dude.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:07 am

Episode 4
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I can't wait for Anai to send one of those emails to Fenneko, she's gonna destroy that dude.
Oh my god... MAKE. IT. HAPPEN!

Episode 5
Spoiler:
I loved the idea of trying to use Tsunoda (and later Ton) as a secret weapon against Anai. Seeing Ton completely devastated after his failed attempt was great :D.
While we're talking about Ton, did anyone else's jaw drop when he commented on his daughters in front of the festival booth, pointing at them and exclaiming: "I live with this!"? Perhaps the wording in the subtitles was a bit more tame, but this sounds super inappropriate. Well... They do look ugly, though...
By the way, Fenneko's quote "It's time we bring out the pig guns" spells 1:0 for the localization in my book :P.

It's funny how Kabai ended up being the one person getting Anai to mellow out. Perhaps the guy just needed a mother figure in his new work life? Plus in the end, it seems the feeling of his contribution being appreciated was really all it took for him to turn a new, more friendly leaf. Or perhaps not - we'll have to see how his demeanor develops in the next couple of episodes.
His cooking session, including the song, was pretty dope, though. And by dope, I mean utterly hilarious.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:50 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Spoiler:
Episode 5

While we're talking about Ton, did anyone else's jaw drop when he commented on his daughters in front of the festival booth, pointing at them and exclaiming: "I live with this!"? Perhaps the wording in the subtitles was a bit more tame, but this sounds super inappropriate. Well... They do look ugly, though...

Episode 5

Spoiler:
I think that was more in reference to their attitude than how they looked.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am

Episode 5
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I think that was more in reference to their attitude than how they looked.
Right, that's what I gathered, too. I realize my post was worded a bit poorly in this regard (The comment of them looking ugly was just my 2 cents, trying desperately to be funny :P). Even then, I think making that statement about their personalities is a pretty horrible thing to say as a father. Of course, it works in a rather shameless comedy such as this. Just saying that, for a second there, I wondered whether this wasn't going too far beyond the bad-taste threshold.
Episode 6
Spoiler:
Retsuko's personal dilemma of living through monotonous days is, once again, incredibly relatable. I'm a bit of a nihilist, myself - I don't think there's anything wrong with lazing your life away as long as you don't hurt or inconvenience other people. Personally, I prefer having a high degree of repetitiveness in my daily life - it helps me keep control and prevents nasty surprises. I don't have any big life goals I'm working towards, either, and I'm quite content living the way I do.
But then, there's always that nagging feeling of having to justify this attitude of mine when society at large seems to be caught up in a YOLO trip (like every time my mothers asks me why I don't want to take more than one vacation trip per year). I don't object to an anime series promoting a more varied and adventurous lifestyle, though. It makes for more interesting stories, anyways.

It appears that Retsuko's mom knew how to hit all the right notes to get the girl to try out the whole speed-dating deal. The event itself was pretty funny, too. The fraudulent tiger had me completely fooled, too.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Episode 6

Spoiler:
I know they've been hinting at Retsuko liking Tadono but I'm wondering if they'll ever actually date. He's just too much of a slacker for me to see them lasting all that long.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:55 am

Episode 7
Spoiler:
Looks like Anai has flipped a switch and now everything's peachy-keen? I don't like this. He should have suffered for his earlier despicable behavior. Although I'm sure Washimi would disagree with me (She's the one who said that he's a weak person and deserves sympathy, right?).

I'm quite surprised that the driving-school donkey would leave such a lasting impression on Retsuko as to consider him a potential romantic interest. I mean, I can see where Jack is coming from with his comment - Retsuko seemed to get along quite well with him -, but I never read anything more into it.

Of course, the only thing even more surprising was the reveal at the end. A bit of a different spin on the "Rich kid wants to conceal his identity and experience life from a commoner's perspective" trope? I take it he's the business partner headed for Retsuko's company right now. Wonder if the anime will take the cliched route of making the two of them miss each other while he's in the building. I don't think it will.

* By the way, I swear the dude's name sounds like "Dedano" in the dub. But since I assume Jack is watching the subtitles where everything's spelled out, I'll take his word for it and call him Tadono from here on out (Or I could've googled it, but as they say: Ain't nobody got time for dat!).

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:44 pm

BlueSpark wrote:Episode 7
Spoiler:
* By the way, I swear the dude's name sounds like "Dedano" in the dub. But since I assume Jack is watching the subtitles where everything's spelled out, I'll take his word for it and call him Tadono from here on out (Or I could've googled it, but as they say: Ain't nobody got time for dat!).

Episode 7

Nope! I'm watching the dub as well and just took a crack at it. Turns out it's Tadano.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:40 am

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I'm watching the dub as well and just took a crack at it. Turns out it's Tadano.
Looks like the truth lay somewhere between both our guesses, then ;). Episode 8 also displays his name in subtitles because it appears in written form.

Episode 8
Spoiler:
Poor Retsuko must've been so utterly flabbergasted during that entire first date with Tadano (which was funny to watch). The contrast between how she'd gotten to know him and how he appeared before her now was outrageous.

Speaking of Tadano, can we agree that the guy is a gosh-dang visionary? I mean, the degree of feasibility of his ideas (in our real world) is debatable, but I admire his vision. That'd be something worth working for - a society where technology could perform most of the labor (putting aside the matter of security risks for a second). But then, we'd never get the profiteers of such kinds of inventions to share their wealth, would we? It's a nice, idealistic dream.

Neat to see how, in this season, they find wholly new ways to visualize Retsuko's feelings of romantic bliss. Anyone want to make a bet on whether this relationship goes better than the one with Resasuke? Just on a whim, my guess is it's not going to work out because Tadano's dreams are too lofty for Retsuko to follow him.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:19 am

Episode 8

Spoiler:
Tadano should really work on his plan for what people will do once they're out of a job, his way of just kind of hand waving with a "Yeah that's a tough one" makes me think he either doesn't care about all those people losing their jobs or doesn't know just how big of a problem that is.