Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Work Place Anime Watch Along?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Servant x Service / 13 Episodes / Crunchyroll
No votes
New Game! / 12 Epiosdes / Crunchyroll
25%
Aggressive Retsuko (ONA) / 10 Episodes / Netflix
75%

Total votes: 4

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:39 am

Episode 9

Spoiler:
"Marriage is pointless" Tadano, you done goofed up big time. I liked seeing Gori and Washimi teaming up, they'll probably just end up agreeing to disagree on their issues and go back to being friends.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Episode 9
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:Tadano should really work on his plan for what people will do once they're out of a job
True, that was the most shaky part of his plan/vision. In the ideal case, technology would provide enough productivity that most people's labor wouldn't be required anymore, so they could just stay... unemployed while being paid proper wages? The major problem might be the decline in self-worth which often hits people who lose their chance to contribute to society. But if being unemployed was the new standard, even that concern should be quelled. I still maintain that his ideas are amazing in theory.

gao Retsuko, you got tricked good by your cat friend. I know from personal experience that conducting a move without professional help is a very exhausting affair. Even more so with only 2 people :o.

We've mentioned Fenneko's uncanny abilities several times now, but holy cow, deducing the restaurant Retsuko ate at just by a picture of a ramen bowl? I know we're not supposed to take this show seriously, but man, this is so out there.

I liked that we got to hear Retsuko sing (instead of scream) for the 1st time in this episode :). Pretty safe bet that it was the only time, too.

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:"Marriage is pointless" Tadano, you done goofed up big time.
Yup, he sure did. Although I wouldn't fault him for it since technically, his is a valid viewpoint in my opinion. Many couples decide not to have their bond officially recognized in marriage these days, and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's just his bad luck that Retsuko has been dreaming about it.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:10 am

Episode 10
Spoiler:
Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I liked seeing Gori and Washimi teaming up, they'll probably just end up agreeing to disagree on their issues and go back to being friends.
You called it. At least it seems close enough to the "truce" they agreed upon.

It was unexpectedly nice to see Haida take some agency here, even though it was pretty clear he wouldn't actually punch Tadano. His 'enraged' face after announcing just that was priceless, though :D.

Looks like my own prediction was pretty close to the money, too: Retsuko and Tadano simply lived in completely different spheres - he had a higher calling while she wanted to start a family. Their break-up was a bittersweet, but necessary conclusion to this 2nd season. Especially necessary if a sequel season gets produced; can't change up the status quo too much, after all.

By the way, I love that we got another "Ton's life advice" segment here, same as in the final episode of season 1. The guy can be really cool when he wants to.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:41 am

Sorry I missed all of season 2, I actually got sick. Which you think would mean I had plenty of time to watch anime and technically I did and I did watch a lot of anime while sick, but it changed the way I was watching anime in such a way that the watch along ended up not factoring in.

I'm glad everyone else was able to enjoy it and that BlueSpark wasn't alone, although I am still sorry I wasn't there. So yer I was bedridden for a little over a week and then once I was better I went to a friends house for a get together with a lot of other friends and then when I walked from the station to his house it rained hard and I got soaked. I didn't bring any spares so I tried to dry myself but ended up spending most of my time there in wet clothing and then had to walk back to the station and then from a station to my house at around 1AM and 2AM. It's winter in Australia so it was insanely cold and I couldn't put my jumper on as it didn't get dry and was still damp and wet to the touch in most areas. So I got a really bad cold and no amount of medicine will stop anything so It's a real pain and I haven't watched any anime in this cold period.

Just bad luck, I have a lot of bad luck when it comes to the timing of my sickness, for instance this week of sickness was during the last week of the semester, it was impossible to get an extension so I failed the first semester.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:25 am

Episode 10

Spoiler:
Oh Tsunoda, I love her trying to get info out of Fenneko, especially since we know Tsunoda is aware of how much Fenneko hates her.

Tadano's argument was pretty weak in my opinion. If marriage is just a piece of paper to him that doesn't mean anything then what does it matter if the person he wants to share his life with wants to be married? I'm not saying he isn't allowed to feel the way he does, I just think every argument he made could have been flipped on him to say that he shouldn't have to be so against signing "that piece of paper".

I laughed pretty hard at the end of Retsuko's song. "If you can't I understand!"
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:26 am

Eira wrote:I have a lot of bad luck when it comes to the timing of my sickness, for instance this week of sickness was during the last week of the semester, it was impossible to get an extension so I failed the first semester.
That blows big time. Isn't there some kind of system in place to prevent an instance of sickness like that from completely screwing you over? At my university, excused absences (due to illness confirmed by a doctor) wouldn't damage your attendance record, and there were (almost) always make-up exams in case you missed the regular ones.

While it's of course a minor issue compared to failing your semester, it's also a shame you didn't get to enjoy Aggressive Retsuko 2. My assessment at the end of season 1 still holds true - this was quite an awesome series and my current favorite out of all our watch-alongs. It's also an anime you could easily show to people who aren't into anime as it feels more like a cartoon.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:30 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:I have a lot of bad luck when it comes to the timing of my sickness, for instance this week of sickness was during the last week of the semester, it was impossible to get an extension so I failed the first semester.
That blows big time. Isn't there some kind of system in place to prevent an instance of sickness like that from completely screwing you over? At my university, excused absences (due to illness confirmed by a doctor) wouldn't damage your attendance record, and there were (almost) always make-up exams in case you missed the regular ones.

No exams for me yet, just assignments due during the final week. Technically labs had been done for a week now but we had an extra week to get assignments done and then staff goes on break too and so it wasn’t really possible to extend it.

I was able to slap the final assignments together but it’s really hard to focus when I was sick like that and so they just weren’t up to a good enough standard.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:16 pm

The wait since this community watch along to a new one has been longer then usual, so I’d like to firstly apologise for that and secondly to let you know that a new watch along will come. At the moment my focus has to go towards setting up the threads for all the new seasonal shows.

So after that first whole has passed and I don’t have to make 2-3 heavily formatted and reaseched posts a day, as well as looking for new information to add into older seasonal posts. Then I’ll go and set up the new watch along, sorry for the longer then normal wait.

Just wanted to let you know a new one is coming.