Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Current and Classic Animation!

What Anime Should We Watch For The Work Place Anime Watch Along?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Servant x Service / 13 Episodes / Crunchyroll
No votes
New Game! / 12 Epiosdes / Crunchyroll
25%
Aggressive Retsuko (ONA) / 10 Episodes / Netflix
75%

Total votes: 4

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Aggressive Retsuko

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:46 am

Episode 3
Spoiler:
I was rather amazed by Retsuko's quick-witted lie about having been constipated. Which immediately backfired on her the next day, because of course it did. I feel for the poor girl - chronic gossipers are such a pain in the neko.

Not going to lie, the prospect of your boss recording your browsing activity feels pretty darn terrifying to me. By now, I'm completely used to taking liberties with my PC usage at work when there's a lull. Liberties such as posting on Otaku Spirit ;), but also reading a lot of different stuff (which is seldom work-related). Good thing there's a pretty relaxed atmosphere at my workplace, so I don't think I need to worry.

Also had to laugh when Retsuko uttered her final words (in internal monolog): "Game over, man, game over!" :D. Classic.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:26 am

Episode 3:
Didn't post yesterday cause the time I normally watch went to the Nintendo direct (Yes, I usually watch this stuff at like 1AM my time)
Spoiler:
Poor retsuko, the network operators being over to the watch over everyones search history is standard but still, normally it doesn't come back to bite you like this. Although in japan some companies do have rules about stuff like this, although we don't know if that's the case or the boss is just being a dick as usual.

As always the jokes continue to be solid and make me laugh, even if the show is developing somewhat of a formula, the formula works for me.

Time for the VA analysis baby! I kinda sorta feel like people care about these? But guess what, even if you don't I really like doing this and I do it for shows I watch even if I don't post about them, so might as well.
Spoiler:
Retsuko is a weird case, she voiced by someone who we only know by a handle, which is Kaolip, she's the wife of the director and it doesn't seem like she's done anything else, which is a shame cause I think she has a really nice voice and I was hoping to check out more of her work. Hopefully she'll do more in the future. Also the director, Rareko dose her voice during the metal signing parts, this part doesn't have much substance or acting to it and it's the only time he's done voice work since he's a director. It works for what it is.

Fenneko: MAL is kinda lacking in info so I'll have to go look at ANN and hope it has more info, usually dose. So for now I'll just cover two more. Fenneko is done by Marina Inoue, she's really pretty, I know I say this about a lot of VAs but obviously a lot of them are, it's Japanese entertainment business after all. Anyway, she's done a boatload and is actually a repeat, since she does Yoko from Gurren Laggan. She's in a lot of things although most of it I haven't seen. Just Yoko and a few others, surprised I've somehow mostly avoided her, I liked her work here.

Lastly I'll do Hiada since these three are kind of a trio, and they all have info on MAL. Better to space these our anyway. So Haida is done by Shingo Katou, who has only done 1 other role and it's a show I've never even heard of despite it coming out last year. At least there's not some WIXOSS conspiracy going on this time. He does alright, but here's the thing, he's good but he seems to either be misunderstanding the directing or the voice director is poor. He's a very good voice actor obviously, but it's just something ever so slightly off, I probs only noticed it cause I care about voice acting so much and am use to a high standard. He's not as bad as the cousin for flying witch at least, haha.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:44 pm

Episode 3

Spoiler:
I remember thinking the whole imported goods store wouldn't work out the first time I watched it. Her friend is way to flaky to pull that off. Haida thinking Retsuko gave birth was pretty funny and we got that great laugh of Fenneko's.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 am

Episode 3
Spoiler:
Eira wrote:the network operators being over to the watch over everyones search history is standard
Is it? That's the first I've heard about it, at least in Germany. Well, at the very least at my former job there was never any feedback of such kind, and my current employer is such a small company that we don't even have any IT staff; all of that stuff is actually done by the executive manager, and I have a feeling he's way too busy with all kinds of other tasks to worry about us employees' browsing habits. gao, I hope I didn't just jinx it...

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:and we got that great laugh of Fenneko's.
Oh yes, that laugh :D. I haven't checked out the Japanese version, but I assume it's mirrored pretty faithfully in the English dub. Reminds me a bit of the ridiculous laugh of Lemon in Waiting in the Summer (German dub).
Eira wrote:I kinda sorta feel like people care about these?
Well, you know I would if they were about English VAs :P. But if you have fun dissecting the voice cast because you're into it, I say knock yourself out. I still read these, even though I can't relate to any of it.

Episode 4
I tried thinking of something specific to say about this episode, but nothing really comes to mind for once. Except that I'm missing the restroom karaoke sessions ;>.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 am

BlueSpark wrote:Episode 3
Eira wrote:
Spoiler:
the network operators being over to the watch over everyones search history is standard
Spoiler:
Is it? That's the first I've heard about it, at least in Germany. Well, at the very least at my former job there was never any feedback of such kind, and my current employer is such a small company that we don't even have any IT staff; all of that stuff is actually done by the executive manager, and I have a feeling he's way too busy with all kinds of other tasks to worry about us employees' browsing habits.

Spoiler:
becuase of a spelling mistake it didn’t quite get across clearly what I was saying. I meant they’re simple, able to. Most companies don’t regularly check these things or really care. Also more often then not it’s just a side effect of how servers within schools and companies work, but it’s nice to have there as a precaution, in case for some reason they need that information at some later point.

So yer, most places don’t actually scan and spy on the worked to the dagree assumed here, but it is indeed possible for admins and such to see these kind of things. They almost have full access to computer hocked up to the system and can even take control over them if need be.

Maybe in japan workers computer use during hours is watched more heavily, or it’s just there becuase of the style of the show and the boss is a dick. Either way it is standard that it’s at least possible to do.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 am

OK, that makes a lot more sense. Of course, it's only in the companies' best interest to document all of it. But living in a work culture where you'd have to be paranoid about being spied on every minute sounds dreadful.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Episode 4

MATRIMONIAL FREEDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:51 am

Episode 5
Spoiler:
It didn't occur to me to mention it last episode, but since the "delusions of easy life by way of marriage" (Jack quoted it best) sub-plot is still going on: I think Retsuko's plan is quite amusing and endearingly innocent, too. Yet at the same time, I feel bad for her because as a viewer, you already know she's never going to have that kind of luck.
I also think this is something that new-age social-outrage-prone fans might heavily object to: perpetuating the age-old stereotype of "All a woman needs to do in life is marry rich." It boggles my mind that there are people who'd throw a fit over something like that in a comedy anime. I'm glad we don't have anyone like that in our small watch-along group :P (Or do we? ...).

I believe the protein guy - who is quite hilarious, I must say - is played by Patrick Seitz in the English version. He certainly has the right kind of (deep, manly-man) voice for the job; he did portray Gamagori in Kill la Kill, among others.

Fenneko, the sleuth slash web stalker, is terrifying indeed. Good thing I don't run the risk of becoming a target of someone like that - my social media pages (Facebook and Twitter) only have very sparse bits and pieces of information on them.

I also had a good chuckle when Retsuko and the two office ladies 'coincidentally' passed by a karaoke place (You sly monkey, you). I was great to see our main character finally give in and let loose around them.
For some reason, it took me until this episode to consciously remember how much I hate 'screaming' music such as death metal... Maybe because this is the first time they actually talked about it as a musical genre in the show. However, I can bear it for the sake of comedy ;).

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Sorry for my lack of posting, I had some free days for once in my god gao life and so I’ve been spending them meeting up with friends and thus I haven’t actually been at my home at much, nor have I slept at my home for 2 nights now. As we speak I’m writing this while on a mattress in my friends living room, lol.

I’m not drunk it’s just that all my friends live far away so it’s easier and we can spend more time together if I just stay at their houses. This is all just stuff about me now and mostly irlevent, I’m being a bad writer, my apologies.

But I did just wanna say I haven’t been posting and why and that I’m sorry. Since I was actually doing really well this time, till yesterday and now today. Should be good for episode 6

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Episode 5

Spoiler:
I love how easy Fenneko makes her cyber stalking sound. She should be helping the police catch criminals or something.

I find it interesting how Retsuko is able to tell Gori and Washimi about her love for metal but Fenneko and Haida have no idea. You'd think they'd have some clue about her musical tastes. Maybe they just aren't as close as I thought.