Community Watch Along: Now on Hiatus

Current and Classic Animation!

What Should We Watch For The Bait & Switch Watch Along?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:12 am

KADO: The Right Answer / 13 Episodes / Crunchyroll
33%
Neon Genesis Evangelion / 26 Episodes / Netflix
33%
Rumbling Hearts / 14 Episodes / Funimation
33%

Total votes: 3

Eira
Anime Junky

Community Watch Along: Now on Hiatus

Postby Eira » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:24 pm

My friends, as always it's time for yet another watch along. The aggression of Retusko is behind us, we have escaped the work place, if only for now. Sorry this one took so long to get ready, new season and other things kept me busy. I've actually had this category for a watch along in my back pocket for quite some time now, but I was waiting for the right moment, but I think it does need some explanation so pay close attention.

We're basically talking about subverting expectations (Insert 'Last Jedi' joke) a show may start or seem to be one way and then ends up going in some other completely unexpected way. This can be more full on changes that happen a few episodes in, maybe the happen at the end of the first episode, or maybe just the marketing and style of the show make it seem like it's one thing but once the show starts it's another.

And try to go for really dramatic shifts, like when the whole genre changes or the whole style and tone of the show, of if it was just really subversive in that genre for it's time, those work too. I'll be the final judge as always, which will come into play this time more then any other, if the shift isn't big enough OR if it comes late into the series then I won't count it. At least have the change be in the first half or at the mid point, any later and it won't be enough of a deal for me to count it.

Community watch alongs are on an extended hiatus now!

Rules:
1. One nomination per member, must fit the category.
a. Do not vote for your own nomination.
2. No movies.
3. Consider legal streaming.
4. Usual OS rules still apply, be nice and don't ruin other people’s fun, as well as no hate watching.
5. No one needs to justify their own opinion, negative or positive.
Last edited by Eira on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Bait & Switch [NOMINATION PHASE]

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 am

Ooohhh, I've got one for this category. Didn't even have to think about it. I nominate:

Rumbling Hearts, apparently available on Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Amazon Prime

This is actually (atypically for me) an 'old' anime I'm proposing here, but one that holds high nostalgia value. I'm obviously not going to spoil anything, but suffice it to say it took me completely by surprise when the big shift happened.

Also, inb4 Madoka Magica and School-Live! - although I'd actually like to rewatch the latter.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: Community Watch Along: Bait & Switch [NOMINATION PHASE]

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Bait & Switch [VOTING PHASE]

Postby Eira » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:13 am

Well since it seems Fraggoff really is gone I guess I have to start nominating too. I really wanted to do Narutaru but it's not on any legal sites. I also didn't want to do something obvious like Madoka, Higurashi, or School Live. So I did something that is obvious if they've heard about it, but it's not nearly as popular as these others shows. 'KADO: The Right Answer' the twist comes in pretty early, right at the end of the episode 0, which I feel the need to mention cause it's easy to not notice there's an episode 0 and accidentally start at episode 1. Since most of the show is after the change I can't really use any images without spoiling it.

Thus I've also started the poll, it'll last for 3 days. Remember that the rule is to not vote for your own nomination.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm

A 1-1-1 tie...

My fears have been realised.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:09 am

Yeah, with only 3 people voting, we were bound to run into this problem sooner or later :P. I know this sucks for you since you've been pushing and working for the revival of the watch-along... But with a, let's face it, near-dead forum, this format is really starting to lose its purpose :/.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Near dead, this is just an open group text at this point.

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: Community Watch Along: Now on Hiatus

Postby Eira » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:47 am

BlueSpark wrote:I know this sucks for you since you've been pushing and working for the revival of the watch-along... But with a, let's face it, near-dead forum, this format is really starting to lose its purpose.

You're right, unfortunately. I don't really have the motivation or want to figure out a work around for yet another draw and the fact that it hit a draw has become a huge stress burden on me. The watch along has value and I like what it was and how I ran it, but it really can't work much or at all with the way things are now.
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Near dead, this is just an open group text at this point.

You're not wrong either, it's a gao shame really.

I'll continue doing what I can do for the site but I think this is something that can't be done, it was meant to be a draw but it never drew anyone in and even the few new people we did get didn't take part at all, not even a little.

So I'm gonna put the watch along to rest, once again. Before it was retired cause the creator got too busy, but now it can't even really exist. If the site is ever able to reach some sort of glory and have a good number of active members again and I'm still around to see it. Then I'd love to start it back up again.

It's quite a crushing realization for me, but it is what it is. I'll still do the other things I did and still be on the site, but the site is going to enter an even darker age now. Outside of watch along stuff has gotten slower, seth and frag have left and fullmetal posts less often.