Lovely Complex - Discussion

Current and Classic Animation!
JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Lovely Complex - Discussion

Postby JackTWD4th » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:36 am

Hello all,

Has anyone seen the show "Lovely Complex"? I think that is what it is called. I watched it before "Toradora" and at the time it was the go to romcom anime I would watch. It didn't get a proper release in North America so I'm curious anyone in the forum watched it?

phpBB [video]

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Lovely Complex - Discussion

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 am

I've heard about this one a couple of times, and it seems right up my alley. The lack of an official release wouldn't be a problem to me in and of itself; however, this also means there's no English dub for it, which makes it a no-go for BlueSpark. It's on my list of shows I will eternally lament not having a localization.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:16 am

Heard of it, never watched it. I use to like anime RomComs but there’s so many and they’re all so similar that I got tired of seeing them.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:03 pm

I guess for my own self-satisfaction wanted to write about this show. As I mentioned before this was my go-to RomCom anime that I accidentally found on Youtube back in the day. It wasn't too far from the Toradora set up (guy and girl try to help each other get significant others) but with the added twist of their heights. Hilarity and feelings ensue but it is a satisfying ride to the end. Maybe the one unique thing about this show was the main girl constantly changing hairstyle throughout the story. It may not get licensed officially or get a dub of any sort but it definitely worth a watch.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:06 am

JackTWD4th wrote:the one unique thing about this show was the main girl constantly changing hairstyle throughout the story. It may not get licensed officially or get a dub of any sort but it definitely worth a watch.

Maybe I’ll one day check it out. Despite it being multiple years since I first backed off RomComs from burnout I still really feel it and don’t wanna go back yet. Kind of my own fault tho, I enjoyed one and then after a few more shows watched another and it quickly became my favourite genre and then I started to watch multiple in a row and then I ended up seeing multiple in a row that all god really heavy and deep towards the end and it was just soo much teen melodrama and so much of the same clichés over and over.

Tbh I’d probs end up liking it, cause a lot of shows I watched during that time I do still like, but I still just really don’t feel like touching a RomCom. I like the changing hair thing tho, does it ever go pink? Pink is best anime hair colour! Fight me!

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:50 am

I appreciate your recommendation, Jack, but in my case, it'd take a lot (and by that, I mean a looooot) to make me watch a subtitled anime series. The voice acting just turns me off too much, so I'd rather move on to something else I can enjoy in English or German.

Eira wrote:Pink is best anime hair colour! Fight me!
Real talk: Teal is da bomb. Gotta love Reki (Aria: The Scarlet Ammo) and Fuuka :>. Purple is great. But I won't complain about pink-haired beauties, either.

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Eira - No hair colour changes. At least as far as I remember.

BlueSpark - I hope technology will be created to auto dub all anime. It may take a while but that is a world I'd like to see.

Both of you - Red hair is where it's at.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:43 pm

JackTWD4th wrote:BlueSpark - I hope technology will be created to auto dub all anime. It may take a while but that is a world I'd like to see.

I mean English voice acting industries don’t give enough respect to the job as is, being an English voice actor also sucks, majority can’t do it full time, only the big names do it full time and then you end up with every main character being the same person. Only person in Japanese who’s bascially everywhere is Kana Hanazawa, but in English you’ll get a lot more overlap. So I don’t think we need to then take away even the few jobs is dose provide by making things automated, cause I also feel like that would produce even more samey voices always.
JackTWD4th wrote:Both of you - Red hair is where it's at.

You’re wrong, you don’t think that. You think pink hair is the best cause it is.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:32 am

JackTWD4th wrote:BlueSpark - I hope technology will be created to auto dub all anime. It may take a while but that is a world I'd like to see.
Oooph... As a linguist, I seriously doubt this is even possible. You have (literal and figurative) meaning, lips flaps, and intonation, volume, etc. (to mimic specific emotions) to consider. Voices would have to be either fully or partially synthesized ("partially" as in: record a lot of lines by a professional voice actor and let an algorithm create all the remaining possible sound combinations not contained in those lines).

I'm already doubtful that near-perfect-quality translations of written texts are even possible to achieve in an automated manner like this. So when you add all of these other factors which go into a good localization, I'd say no dice :P. Not saying that it isn't a cool dream to have, but if you ask me, reality begs to differ.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:44 am

BlueSpark wrote:
JackTWD4th wrote:I hope technology will be created to auto dub all anime.

I'm already doubtful that near-perfect-quality translations of written texts are even possible to achieve in an automated manner like this.

You reminded me of another factor, which is that someone would still have to write it all out anyway, cause even now technology isn’t very good at picking up what people are saying when it’s not said clearly. Even used YouTube’s caption system, it’s not the worst thing in the world but it’s not perfect.

So even if you could translate and then dub from writing, well someone would have to write out the Japanese and at that point you best just get a translator that knows both and have them give it their best go. But if we’re talking about a world where a machine can dub a whole show well... I guess it would be a future where these other technologies have advanced far enough along as well.