Anime License Saving

Current and Classic Animation!
Andrew
Site Admin

Anime License Saving

Postby Andrew » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:56 am

For those that support the anime medium and avoid illegal streaming, one issue always seems to cause problems in consuming our favorite content. Lack of availability! When licenses are lost, streaming gets cut off and physical mediums become scarce. This usually leads to only being able to get these shows or movies via third parties for scalper prices. Often facing used or even bootleg versions of our beloved franchises.

Thankfully, companies like Sentai Filmworks and others will rescue licenses and redistribute the content again, but it's never guaranteed and often depends on the popularity of the show and it's calling to market.

While recently trying to collect my favorite series in physical formats, I have ran into quite a few shows that have had their licenses dropped or bankrupted companies that lost the licenses and thus leaving them unheld in the western market. It troubles me and I'm sure it does others.

So I pose the question: Are you struggling with your favorite shows being lost in the pits of no return or faced with scalpers and bootlegs? Are there shows you'd love for a company to rescue? Chime in!

The shows I'm most concerned about recently are:
Higurashi When They Cry - Originally held by Geneon, this license died with this bankruptcy and is now only available on Amazon as a dub stream. The DVD release is extremely difficult to find and run upwards of $500+ to get (if you can find it).
Katanagatari - This was temporarily held by NISA, sold in extremely expensive packages, before being dropped over a year ago. NISA saves money by keeping amounts produced to a minimum, leading to scalpers hording up stock and reselling $150+ a set. 2 sets total.
The Vision of Escaflowne - While Funimation has recently rescued this franchise and plans on re-releasing the series and movie, it's not yet manifested.
Nichijou - Probably one of the funniest series of all time, thankfully provided streaming on Crunchyroll for some time, it was recently pulled. While its pulling was in line for some other shows licensed by Funimation, there has been no confirmation thus far. It was originally licensed by Bandai before being canceled.
Record of Lodoss Wars - While licensed, the company has also filed bankruptcy so there's no hope at this moment for this series returning.
Code Geass - Similar to Escaflowne, it's announced to be picked up by Funimation, but news of an actual release is unknown. Buying this title online is dreadful as bootlegs are rampant. Which also could effect Funimation ever releasing a physical version as the market could be too saturated for profit.
Scrapped Princess - Another dead by the Bandai blow up.. probably not popular enough for a return.
Dennou Coil - No signs of publisher in NA.
A Cheeky Angel - VIZ Media licensed the manga but the show sadly is probably a lost cause and won't ever get touched.
Hare+Guu - Apparently Funimation has the license but no signs of publishing and old releases are horribly priced.

Can't wait to hear what shows you all want to see return. I'm considering making this into an article and would love some feedback.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Logan
Super NEET IV

Re: Anime License Saving

Postby Logan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:30 am

The only show that I can think of off the top of my head would be Sankarea. Funimation released a Bluray of it, but recalled it not long after. I believe that they plan on re-releasing it, but I'm not sure if they have announced quite when yet. :(

Edit: I just went and checked the Funimation site and they have a re-release date of March 31, 2015!

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:44 am

Hyouka: I don't know if this one counts since it hasn't been released yet technically, but I believe that Kyoto Animation's Hyouka has not been picked up by anyone for even a English subtitled release of any kind. It's a shame, I thought the show was a lot of fun, with its semi sherlock holmes feel and would love to own it.

Rurouni Kenshin: Right Stuf has some of the dvds but there are like 22 of them because they only have like 4 episodes per dvd. You can get the Complete TV Series Volume 3 for a decent price but If you want parts 1 and 2, it's gonna cost you around $750 dollars. I liked the show a lot but that is just ridiculous.

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal: I can only find the Blu ray on Amazon for like $85. Supposedly it's licensed by Aniplex and they do most of there selling through Right Stuf, but it is not present on their website.

1HalfRanma
I Like Anime

Postby 1HalfRanma » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:48 am

Over here in Britain, I think we have an even worse time of it than you do! Although Code Geass is readily available over here, strangely enough. Here are some shows I would love to get released.

Beck. They released the first 3 volumes or so of this, but never completed the collection. This is infuriating.

Higurashi has never had a release on dvd, and I doubt it ever will. But one can hope...

Hajime No Ippo, never been released. Full Metal Panic: Second Raid, never released. Great Teacher Onizuka, Monster, Ranma 1/2 all never released. :cry:

Two other anime that have been released, but very limitedly and a long time ago, are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Serial Experiments Lain. It's quite difficult to get ahold of a good copy of these.
Don't let yourself be blinded by fear or anger. Everything is only as it is. We should just use our conscience to escape from what we can - Nui, Mushishi.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/1HalfRanma

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm kinda surprise by some of the series mentioned like Code Geass and Escaflowne but I haven't been playing attention to who has what anymore. Kenshin is another shocker but it makes sense now why the live-action movies haven't been licensed in North America.

I got Scrapped Princess back when it was on sale years ago.

Neon Genesis
I Love Anime

Postby Neon Genesis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:05 am

1HalfRanma wrote:Two other anime that have been released, but very limitedly and a long time ago, are Neon Genesis Evangelion and Serial Experiments Lain. It's quite difficult to get ahold of a good copy of these.
Evangelion is the big one for me. I was lucky to get a hold of the DVD remastered boxset when it was still available but I never got to get the End of Eva on DVD as it already went out of print when I was getting into the show. Funi has the reboot movies and those have been pretty big so I'm surprised Funi hasn't picked up the original series. I'm glad to own it already but I think there's a lot of newer anime fans who haven't seen the original Eva and I think they're missing an important part of anime history by not having official access to this masterpiece. I also would love to see a recuse license of Magical Project S. Again, Tenchi is another show Funi has picked up and re-released but they still haven't picked up the Pretty Sammy spin off. Magical Project S was a very cute and funny parody of magical girl anime but it was only ever available as a sub only release and I think that partially hurt it when it first came out over here, so I'd love to see Funi pick it up and finally dub it. I also hope someone eventually rescue licenses the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie as the TV series and first movie have been picked up but the second movie is still OOP.

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:15 am

This isn't necessarily a License Save but I pray that somehow, someway, Aniplex will lose the rights to Madoka Magica so someone else can pick it up and I can get a Bluray of all 12 episodes where i won't have to spend $120-$150 for the show, which comes with no physical extras.

Neon Genesis
I Love Anime

Postby Neon Genesis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:55 am

Same here. I would love to own a physical copy of Madoka but they have it priced way too high for me to justify shelling out for it. At least I have it on Netflix to watch.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:16 am

1HalfRanma wrote:Over here in Britain, I think we have an even worse time of it than you do! Although Code Geass is readily available over here, strangely enough. Here are some shows I would love to get released.

Oh I'm definitely not ignorant to the fact that NA is quite privileged. Even in comparison to JP. Even though JP has access to everything, a lot of their stuff is AWFULLY priced.

My heart goes out to you. Beck was great and GTO is turning out great as well. :(

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Discotek Media/Eastern Star is becoming my favorite company ever. They are rescue lisensing a lot of great titles. Just heard today they are releasing Iria Zeiram the Animation.

If you're like me, hunting older titles. They have tons they are doing:
http://www.discotekmedia.com/store.htm