My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Official Dub Trailer

Current and Classic Animation!
JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Official Dub Trailer

Postby JackTWD4th » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:50 am

phpBB [video]

I'm glad this is happening. I wonder if this show gets a second life with the dub.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Official Dub Trailer

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:40 am

Oh, you better believe I'm super stoked about this. Sentai announced the dub... probably 3 or so months ago. Now we know that it's coming in November. I'm going to be all over this one once it releases. I've heard a lot of good things about SNAFU (although fragoff told me that the anime is clearly inferior to the source material).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:22 am

Still never even watched the show
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:28 am

BlueSpark - I can attest to what fragoff has stated. I loved the show and it got me to read the light novel material. There is so much that the show had to skip for time sake. Maybe someday the show will get the FMA Brotherhood / Fruits Basket treatment but for now I welcome the dub and hopefully we get season two.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:31 am

I guess I'll have to live with what the anime adaptation offers. I try to avoid getting into light novels, visuals novels, or even mangas because of time constraints. That and the fact that I prefer hearing dialog over reading it.

I believe Sentai Filmworks has already confirmed that they'll localize both seasons of the show. Which is awesome. As for other licensors... *glances wistfully at KonoSuba's un-dubbed 2nd season*... Come on, Chrunchyroll, get to it!

Dynames
I Like Anime

Postby Dynames » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:28 pm

I find it interesting that SNAFU probably influenced the writing of Haganai. The former is more serious, and the later has more fan service. Kind of like how The Testament of Sister New Devil had to go beyond anything in High School DxD. With the amount of light novels Japan produces, this is probably pretty common. Each tries to one up the other.

I still recommend Haganai...
Spoiler:
But please know it there is no third season, and the series could have ended better.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:59 am

So SNAFU and Haganai were written by the same person? I don't usually look into the creator/staff behind the animes I watch. Haganai is definitely a fanservice-y show, yet surprisingly, I found it rather grounded and relatable compared to a lot of similar harem series. As in, I could actually take the events and characters seriously (most of the time). I do agree on the ending, though - I was quite mad when I first finished season 2. I know that production teams need to incentivize viewers to pick up the manga, but there are definitely more 'tasteful' ways to do it. They just flipped us anime fans the middle finger with that ending.

Sorry for steering the thread off topic. I don't remember the exact date, but the dubbed version of SNAFU will apparently start streaming on HiDive very soon and release 2 episodes per week. As usual, though, I'll wait until all episodes are available before digging in.

Dynames
I Like Anime

Postby Dynames » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 am

BlueSpark wrote:So SNAFU and Haganai were written by the same person? I don't usually look into the creator/staff behind the animes I watch. Haganai is definitely a fanservice-y show, yet surprisingly, I found it rather grounded and relatable compared to a lot of similar harem series. As in, I could actually take the events and characters seriously (most of the time). I do agree on the ending, though - I was quite mad when I first finished season 2. I know that production teams need to incentivize viewers to pick up the manga, but there are definitely more 'tasteful' ways to do it. They just flipped us anime fans the middle finger with that ending.

Sorry for steering the thread off topic. I don't remember the exact date, but the dubbed version of SNAFU will apparently start streaming on HiDive very soon and release 2 episodes per week. As usual, though, I'll wait until all episodes are available before digging in.

I had to look it up to make sure, but no, they have different authors. I just meant they were very similar, and the author of Haganai clearly took some story beats/character archetypes from SNAFU. Not trying to derail the conversation, but this was just my first impression finally seeing some of the anime in dub format.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:41 pm

I wouldn't say they were taken, more that the Japanese tropes are very homogeneous in anime inside of the same genres

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:37 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:the Japanese tropes are very homogeneous in anime inside of the same genres
Yup, this sounds about right.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this as a more serious title. There are plenty of comedy-focused shows around to entertain me; competently done serious slice-of-life dramas are definitely rarer.