How do you choose what anime to watch?

Current and Classic Animation!
User avatar
Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am
Location: Europe, Lithuania

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Ukkihsog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Ohh I don't know how it is in America but i myself didn't knew the difference between cartoon and anime(mostly because i didn't cared) till around 8 grade of course i watched multiple types of anime till that point my favorite from childhood was shaman king great work. You might be right on your point but as for myself i couldn't count that as me watching anime. :D

User avatar
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:54 pm

Ukkihsog wrote:Ohh I don't know how it is in America but i myself didn't knew the difference between cartoon and anime(mostly because i didn't cared) till around 8 grade of course i watched multiple types of anime till that point my favorite from childhood was shaman king great work. You might be right on your point but as for myself i couldn't count that as me watching anime. :D

Fair enough for me.

User avatar
Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am
Location: Europe, Lithuania

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Ukkihsog » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:
Ukkihsog wrote:Ohh I don't know how it is in America but i myself didn't knew the difference between cartoon and anime(mostly because i didn't cared) till around 8 grade of course i watched multiple types of anime till that point my favorite from childhood was shaman king great work. You might be right on your point but as for myself i couldn't count that as me watching anime. :D

Fair enough for me.


::sigh::
Sad i wanted a huge discussion where we stake our pride on the line
::terrible:: ::terrible::

User avatar
BlueSpark
Super Otaku
Posts: 2067
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:06 am

Ukkihsog wrote: ::sigh::
Sad i wanted a huge discussion where we stake our pride on the line
Well, that was anticlimactic :D.

This is a great topic to bring up. Here's my 2 cents, starting with a brief history:

As a child, I just watched what was on TV. Like pretty much everyone at that age, I didn't have a concept of what anime was - until I watched Ranma 1/2. Compared to stuff like Pokemon, DragonBall, or Case Closed (Detective Conan), Ranma was distinctly tinted in Asian culture. I found out there was a corresponding manga series, and my brother bought all 36 (I believe) volumes. Reading the manga got me hooked. Specifically, there were advertisements for Maison Ikkoku and Love Hina in there which caught my interest.

Having read the manga, after downloading and watching all 7 seasons, 12 OVAs, and 2 movies of Ranma 1/2, I did the same with Maison Ikkoku (with its respectable count of 96 episodes) and Love Hina. From there, I was pretty much hooked, googled "romance anime recommendations," and found a couple of random forums with pertinent threads. That's where I got most of my suggestions for the first... probably 5 years of watching (Back then, I would only watch 1 or 2 episodes per day, so I didn't blow through shows nearly as fast as I do these days). Over time, I realized that I loved not only romance-focused shows, but drama-heavy ones, too (think studio Key adaptations). So I included those in my forum thread searches.

I believe the next step for me was finding anime-planet.com, which has a "similar shows" section for each entry of an anime series. So I went through those for some of the titles I had enjoyed the most up to that point. Of course, for me, there was the additional challenge of having to find out whether the suggested series were available in English.

I also started checking out various anime reviewers on YouTube around that time. After figuring out the ones who apparently shared my taste to a decent extent, I put some of their recommendations on my to-watch list.

As far as I can recall (funny how hazy some of my memories have already become), the above methods carried me through about 10-11 years of watching anime. After that, I started listening to anime podcasts - most notably the AAA podcast (which slowly started grinding my gears as the hosts loved to circle-jerk and bash on shows they didn't like) and, finally, Otaku Spirit. I took quite a number of recommendations from Andrew and Chris.

Then I joined this forum. I haven't watched a huge number of animes as a direct result of reading forum posts here, but there are some notable ones that I'm glad I didn't miss out on.

Finally, about 2 years ago, I found the AnimeDubs subreddit. That place is amazing for me not only because it has a very friendly and positive atmosphere to it (not quite like Otaku Spirit, but almost), but naturally because all they talk about is English-dubbed animes. The subreddit keeps me sort of up to date on currently airing series (I say "sort of" because I don't watch weekly and thus don't participate in their episode discussions) and announcements of older shows that are finally getting dubbed (like Golden Time recently).

Ukkihsog wrote:But for others i base it on few aspects:
[...]
For me, mood doesn't have much to do with it - I'm of phlegmatic temper, which means my mood always strongly gravitates around a base level of 'average' ;). However, I like to switch it up, alternating between funny/wholesome/upbeat and serious/darker shows (Remember, I always binge-watch 1 series at a time).

I also rewatch animes a lot. Some of my favorites, I've watched 4 or 5 times by now (with the record being held by Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! at 7 times). These days, I strive towards keeping a more or less even balance between watching recently completed animes, older series I've been wanting to check out, and titles that I've already seen.

Lastly, I'll mention that, in contrast to fullmetal-senpai (It sometimes feels like we were hired as polar opposites by Andrew and Chris), I'm not a fan of older series anymore. Instead, I embrace the more 'new-age' animes, which I find to be... well, if I had to put it into one word, 'livelier' than the works of past decades. So I'll usually be very apprehensive when recommended an anime from before ~2005.
Image
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

User avatar
Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am
Location: Europe, Lithuania

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Ukkihsog » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:56 am

BlueSpark wrote:[...]

After reading your reply this point i can agree because that was clear explanation its not like i'm trying to say that what Fullmetal-Senpai saying about watching it for 20 years is incorrect but without adding any points to the claim seems like a high and mighty braging *sorry if i offend you SENPAI! ::hi::*

For example after reading BlueSpark even if he sayed hes been watching it for 20-25 years i could easily accept it because what he wrote was stating his history(road to anime greatness) how he started differentiating between cartoons and anime how it progressed.

BlueSpark wrote:As a child, I just watched what was on TV. Like pretty much everyone at that age, I didn't have a concept of what anime was - until I watched Ranma 1/2. Compared to stuff like Pokemon, DragonBall, or Case Closed (Detective Conan), Ranma was distinctly tinted in Asian culture. I found out there was a corresponding manga series, and my brother bought all 36 (I believe) volumes. Reading the manga got me hooked. Specifically, there were advertisements for Maison Ikkoku and Love Hina in there which caught my interest.


Nevers seen Ranma 1/2 so i don't know how good it is but first anime which makes you realise its an anime always stays with you because till this day i cant forget first animei watched which was Witchblade in english dub of course i don't remmeber why i picked it (maybe for the plot ::nosebleed::) but that drama elements hit me pretty deeply maybe if i had watched something plainer i wouldn't have become an anime fan.

BlueSpark wrote:From there, I was pretty much hooked, googled "romance anime recommendations," and found a couple of random forums with pertinent threads. That's where I got most of my suggestions for the first...


I did same at first googling "top 10 fantasy animes", "top 10 romance animes", etc. I open new pages and there is huge lists of animes i haven't seen it was my glorious days my want to watch list kept getting bigger and bigger.

BlueSpark wrote:probably 5 years of watching (Back then, I would only watch 1 or 2 episodes per day, so I didn't blow through shows nearly as fast as I do these days).

When i found out about anime it was at start of summer holiday so i went in ham. For about 4-5 years my ussual watch time per day was min 9-12 episodes(why i say in episodes because i had kinda of timeframe when i could watch it. It was ussualy from 7pm til 11pm the older i become the longer it became)
My best till this day was watching bleach from 9am till 11pm non stop kinda. The next day i even developed a fever so i couldn't go watch anime for about a week ::blush:: thats why that memory still stays till this day(mostly because my head/eyes hurted like hell too even thinking about that now makes me shiver). Of course my grades started faling down a lot ~30% if not more but i don't regret it till now. If i was asked if i could go back and study more so i colud gen into better school/college/university i would agree and do oposite i would watch even more anime and start reading novels earlier! Fun fact what got me into my current occupation was anime too ::yess::

BlueSpark wrote:Over time, I realized that I loved not only romance-focused shows, but drama-heavy ones, too (think studio Key adaptations). So I included those in my forum thread searches.


At start i was same foccusing at one particular genre until it got boring and switching for the next one. I never even considered that anime was heavy relient on studios performence but still till this day i dont care about that.

BlueSpark wrote:Of course, for me, there was the additional challenge of having to find out whether the suggested series were available in English.


Most likely the reason why i switched from english dub to japanese dub was because a lot of recommended series didn't had an english dub but i still sticked to dub for at least 2-4 months. I stll remember switching at start was kinda hard. It just sounded weird but i got used to it quite fast few weeks all that it took what forced me was bleach because only part of it was in dub at that time or i sucked at gooling rest.

BlueSpark wrote:As far as I can recall (funny how hazy some of my memories have already become), the above methods carried me through about 10-11 years of watching anime. After that, I started listening to anime podcasts - most notably the AAA podcast (which slowly started grinding my gears as the hosts loved to circle-jerk and bash on shows they didn't like) and, finally, Otaku Spirit. I took quite a number of recommendations from Andrew and Chris.

To tell you the truth I don't lisen to podcast(it was more like youtube version of podcast) i tryed but there were just too much hate. I loved one anime and waned to lisen to caster review on it. It was harsh so much critisimn so much blame(thats bad thats wrong. Why did they even released this s***) ::terrible::.

How i found otakuspirit i looked for japanese podcast on anime to lisen while walking home cuz it takes between 40-60min per day(hate busses, dont wanna waste money on car cuz anime expenses). And while looking for good one i stumble on it at spotify i gave it a try. It was like opening a new leaf to podcast aspect i been lisening to them for few months (from summer intro) already i dont know what forced me to join forum but for now it looks nice just sad it is not so active. Most likely the reason because Otaku spirit don't post they're podcasts at youtube.

BlueSpark wrote:I also rewatch animes a lot. Some of my favorites, I've watched 4 or 5 times by now (with the record being held by Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! at 7 times). These days, I strive towards keeping a more or less even balance between watching recently completed animes, older series I've been wanting to check out, and titles that I've already seen.


I like to rewatch animes a lot. My most rewatched ones are MKNR index franchise(railgun s1/railgun s2/index s1/index s2/index movies), inu x boku ss, Strike Witches, High School Fleet. Still nr1 place holds attack onm titans S1 i was so overhyped by it that every week i rewatched it from ep1 to latest i feel like mad man for doing so ::shocked:: but it didnt occured from s2 and so on.

BlueSpark wrote:I'm not a fan of older series anymore. Instead, I embrace the more 'new-age' animes, which I find to be... well, if I had to put it into one word, 'livelier' than the works of past decades. So I'll usually be very apprehensive when recommended an anime from before ~2005.


I understand that point but as i know there are so many good works which are kinda old 2005 and older the one which left the biggest impression which i watched last year was FLCL i was literary shaking my friend and spaming watch it!

Btw thank you BlueSpark for your honest answer to my post ::yess::.

User avatar
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:45 am

[
Spoiler:
Ukkihsog wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:[...]

After reading your reply this point i can agree because that was clear explanation its not like i'm trying to say that what Fullmetal-Senpai saying about watching it for 20 years is incorrect but without adding any points to the claim seems like a high and mighty braging *sorry if i offend you SENPAI! ::hi::*

For example after reading BlueSpark even if he sayed hes been watching it for 20-25 years i could easily accept it because what he wrote was stating his history(road to anime greatness) how he started differentiating between cartoons and anime how it progressed.

BlueSpark wrote:As a child, I just watched what was on TV. Like pretty much everyone at that age, I didn't have a concept of what anime was - until I watched Ranma 1/2. Compared to stuff like Pokemon, DragonBall, or Case Closed (Detective Conan), Ranma was distinctly tinted in Asian culture. I found out there was a corresponding manga series, and my brother bought all 36 (I believe) volumes. Reading the manga got me hooked. Specifically, there were advertisements for Maison Ikkoku and Love Hina in there which caught my interest.


Nevers seen Ranma 1/2 so i don't know how good it is but first anime which makes you realise its an anime always stays with you because till this day i cant forget first animei watched which was Witchblade in english dub of course i don't remmeber why i picked it (maybe for the plot ::nosebleed::) but that drama elements hit me pretty deeply maybe if i had watched something plainer i wouldn't have become an anime fan.

BlueSpark wrote:From there, I was pretty much hooked, googled "romance anime recommendations," and found a couple of random forums with pertinent threads. That's where I got most of my suggestions for the first...


I did same at first googling "top 10 fantasy animes", "top 10 romance animes", etc. I open new pages and there is huge lists of animes i haven't seen it was my glorious days my want to watch list kept getting bigger and bigger.

BlueSpark wrote:probably 5 years of watching (Back then, I would only watch 1 or 2 episodes per day, so I didn't blow through shows nearly as fast as I do these days).

When i found out about anime it was at start of summer holiday so i went in ham. For about 4-5 years my ussual watch time per day was min 9-12 episodes(why i say in episodes because i had kinda of timeframe when i could watch it. It was ussualy from 7pm til 11pm the older i become the longer it became)
My best till this day was watching bleach from 9am till 11pm non stop kinda. The next day i even developed a fever so i couldn't go watch anime for about a week ::blush:: thats why that memory still stays till this day(mostly because my head/eyes hurted like hell too even thinking about that now makes me shiver). Of course my grades started faling down a lot ~30% if not more but i don't regret it till now. If i was asked if i could go back and study more so i colud gen into better school/college/university i would agree and do oposite i would watch even more anime and start reading novels earlier! Fun fact what got me into my current occupation was anime too ::yess::

BlueSpark wrote:Over time, I realized that I loved not only romance-focused shows, but drama-heavy ones, too (think studio Key adaptations). So I included those in my forum thread searches.


At start i was same foccusing at one particular genre until it got boring and switching for the next one. I never even considered that anime was heavy relient on studios performence but still till this day i dont care about that.

BlueSpark wrote:Of course, for me, there was the additional challenge of having to find out whether the suggested series were available in English.


Most likely the reason why i switched from english dub to japanese dub was because a lot of recommended series didn't had an english dub but i still sticked to dub for at least 2-4 months. I stll remember switching at start was kinda hard. It just sounded weird but i got used to it quite fast few weeks all that it took what forced me was bleach because only part of it was in dub at that time or i sucked at gooling rest.

BlueSpark wrote:As far as I can recall (funny how hazy some of my memories have already become), the above methods carried me through about 10-11 years of watching anime. After that, I started listening to anime podcasts - most notably the AAA podcast (which slowly started grinding my gears as the hosts loved to circle-jerk and bash on shows they didn't like) and, finally, Otaku Spirit. I took quite a number of recommendations from Andrew and Chris.

To tell you the truth I don't lisen to podcast(it was more like youtube version of podcast) i tryed but there were just too much hate. I loved one anime and waned to lisen to caster review on it. It was harsh so much critisimn so much blame(thats bad thats wrong. Why did they even released this s***) ::terrible::.

How i found otakuspirit i looked for japanese podcast on anime to lisen while walking home cuz it takes between 40-60min per day(hate busses, dont wanna waste money on car cuz anime expenses). And while looking for good one i stumble on it at spotify i gave it a try. It was like opening a new leaf to podcast aspect i been lisening to them for few months (from summer intro) already i dont know what forced me to join forum but for now it looks nice just sad it is not so active. Most likely the reason because Otaku spirit don't post they're podcasts at youtube.

BlueSpark wrote:I also rewatch animes a lot. Some of my favorites, I've watched 4 or 5 times by now (with the record being held by Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! at 7 times). These days, I strive towards keeping a more or less even balance between watching recently completed animes, older series I've been wanting to check out, and titles that I've already seen.


I like to rewatch animes a lot. My most rewatched ones are MKNR index franchise(railgun s1/railgun s2/index s1/index s2/index movies), inu x boku ss, Strike Witches, High School Fleet. Still nr1 place holds attack onm titans S1 i was so overhyped by it that every week i rewatched it from ep1 to latest i feel like mad man for doing so ::shocked:: but it didnt occured from s2 and so on.

BlueSpark wrote:I'm not a fan of older series anymore. Instead, I embrace the more 'new-age' animes, which I find to be... well, if I had to put it into one word, 'livelier' than the works of past decades. So I'll usually be very apprehensive when recommended an anime from before ~2005.


I understand that point but as i know there are so many good works which are kinda old 2005 and older the one which left the biggest impression which i watched last year was FLCL i was literary shaking my friend and spaming watch it!

Btw thank you BlueSpark for your honest answer to my post ::yess::.

You want a history, but you didn't even ask. Early on i just watched and consumed high amounts, found every single site i could as they were taken down one by one, around 2000 i started tape trading. We didn't have a lot of money but 8 year old me had to see the rest of serial experiments lain. By 2006 i was torrenting series after series, helping with typesetting and editing for fan translations dealing with raws. I stopped that when i got out of high school, joined the military where anime is just everywhere. Now I'm out of that, still watching anime. As you can see there's really no stopping point so where do you say you started? I find the beginning is a good place.

User avatar
Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am
Location: Europe, Lithuania

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Ukkihsog » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:[...]

Sorry if I appeared insincere. It was my fault for phrasing my sentences insincerely i apologize.

Thank you for sharing your story after you told me that i can agree with your statement wholehearted. ::happy::

User avatar
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku
Posts: 1916
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:13 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Ukkihsog wrote:
Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:[...]

Sorry if I appeared insincere. It was my fault for phrasing my sentences insincerely i apologize.

Thank you for sharing your story after you told me that i can agree with your statement wholehearted. ::happy::

::shrug:: ::shrug:: I'm dickish on occasion, but usually just sarcastic

User avatar
Eira
I Bleed Anime
Posts: 1421
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Location: Australia

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Eira » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 am

How I pick what to watch has changed over the years but at the moment it's pretty simple. First off I try to watch at least a few seconds of everything that's airing in a season. I don;t have an episode count rule cause I think they're dumb so I just drop a show whenever I feel like I don't want to watch it anymore, I've even dropped shows without finishing a single episode, in that case I don't even list is as dropped on my MAL. I only bother if I at least finish an episode.

So on top of watching airing things I'll usually have a show or two that aren't airing that I'm watching and this is usually decided by what shows are getting new seasons next season that I haven't caught up on yet, I try to catch up so that I can watch them when they air.

If I'm up to date and can watch everything from next season then it becomes more just whatever I feel like watching.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat based discussions: Eira#1560

User avatar
Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 am
Location: Europe, Lithuania

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Ukkihsog » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:41 am

Eira wrote:How I pick what to watch has changed over the years but at the moment it's pretty simple. First off I try to watch at least a few seconds of everything that's airing in a season. I don;t have an episode count rule cause I think they're dumb so I just drop a show whenever I feel like I don't want to watch it anymore, I've even dropped shows without finishing a single episode, in that case I don't even list is as dropped on my MAL. I only bother if I at least finish an episode.


I'm kinda interested how few seconds can make you decide to drop anime. Does it have elements which are not defined in genre and synopsis? I don't do it because there exist so cold slow anime which first few are boring and only starts picking speed from episode 3-5 thats why i try to give it at least 3 episodes of course it doesnt work always.

Eira wrote:So on top of watching airing things I'll usually have a show or two that aren't airing that I'm watching and this is usually decided by what shows are getting new seasons next season that I haven't caught up on yet, I try to catch up so that I can watch them when they air.

This goes for me too if there is same shows s2 which i didnt saw for few years i rewatch it or if some show getting S2 which i didn't saw i inspect it and try to see if i should watch it before it airs ::yess::