How do you choose what anime to watch?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:15 am

Ukkihsog wrote:This goes for me too if there is same shows s2 which i didnt saw for few years i rewatch it
Same here. Whenever a sequel is released to an anime I've seen, 95% of the time, I'll rewatch the prior seasons beforehand. Even if I didn't find the show to be top-tier, I think it generally pays off to refresh my memory on the series, re-familiarize myself with the characters, and maybe catch some neat details which might be referenced in the new season. I've only made very few exceptions to this rule, such as with High School DxD 4 (because it hadn't been that long since I'd seen seasons 1-3, and because I'd started to enjoy the anime less and less over time).

Once the current anime season finishes up, I'll rewatch all of Railgun, too. And I'm very much looking forward to it :].
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:39 am

BlueSpark wrote:I've only made very few exceptions to this rule, such as with High School DxD 4 (because it hadn't been that long since I'd seen seasons 1-3, and because I'd started to enjoy the anime less and less over time).

High School DxD i had no issues with it on s1. but i dropped that anime after few episodes of second season

BlueSpark wrote:Even if I didn't find the show to be top-tier, I think it generally pays off to refresh my memory on the series, re-familiarize myself with the characters, and maybe catch some neat details which might be referenced in the new season.

Yea kinda same because i feel like i will lose some of the enjoyment if i don't rewatch previous season

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:07 am

Ukkihsog wrote:
Eira wrote:I don't have an episode count rule cause I think they're dumb so I just drop a show whenever I feel like I don't want to watch it anymore, I've even dropped shows without finishing a single episode.

I'm kinda interested how few seconds can make you decide to drop anime. Does it have elements which are not defined in genre and synopsis? I don't do it because there exist so cold slow anime which first few are boring and only starts picking speed from episode 3-5 thats why i try to give it at least 3 episodes of course it doesnt work always.

In reality I've never really dropped a show in just a few seconds, but I have dropped stuff before finishing a first episode and it's pretty easy to do for me. If I'm not enjoying something I stop doing it, pretty simple. Life is short and death is faster than you, so I'm not going to waste time watching bad shows when I could instead be watching good shows, it's an easy choice to make really.

Also if a show does take a turn in later episodes and get's better then it'd have to be a pretty big shift. If a show in incompetantly made even if the story gets better that might not be enough reason for me to want to return to it so it's pretty rare a show can be so bad I drop it and then so good I want to keep watching later. I'm pretty forgiving all things considers, I just don't give a show some length protection rule.

There's only two times I dropped a show and then went back to them when people told me they get better later. Madoka Magica and NHK which I both love now. And here's the thing, I went back to them. Dropping a show doesn't meant it's gone forever, it doesn't make it impossible for me to watch it so I don't care if I drop something. Either it'll be bad and people will hate it, it'll be average of liked during the season but forgotten about once it finishes airing, or it'll be good and if it's good then I'll find out that it's good cause I stay plugged into the anime community.

Like with NHK and Madoka, people told me they got better, so I went back to them and ended up enjoying them, if something really is good and really does get better other people can find out for me. But I won't waste my time because maybe it'll get better. I'll wait till I know for sure.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat based discussions: Eira#1560

Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:10 am

Eira wrote:[...]

Yea i can agree with the point you make. Of course it's largely depending from person to person. I had for example one case it was anime called "Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru". First time when i watched i reached only up to episode 6. It was so boring i couldn't take it anymore and I dropped it. But after around 1,5 year(why i remember 1 specific art style. 2 mal) i started watching it again from 0 i don't remember why. And to my surprise it was so good i couldn't force my eyes from it my story development kept me at the edge of my seat all the time until the end of anime. At story end sequence my body even started shivering while watching decisive battle it even forced me to shed few tears at the very end that's how much i was into it. Only after watching this anime i started seeing that my emotional state influence my favoritism for specific animes.

What i'm getting at is for example there is great drama series but your mood gauge is low. In that case you would most likely don't mesh well with drama emotional heavy anime and vice versa. Of course like i said earlier it depend from person to person. ::yess::

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:32 pm

Ukkihsog wrote:I had for example one case it was anime called "Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru". First time when i watched I reached only up to episode 6. It was so boring i couldn't take it anymore and I dropped it. But after around 1,5 year I started watching it again from 0 i don't remember why. And to my surprise it was so good i couldn't force my eyes from it my story development kept me at the edge of my seat all the time until the end of anime. At story end sequence my body even started shivering while watching decisive battle it even forced me to shed few tears at the very end that's how much i was into it. Only after watching this anime i started seeing that my emotional state influence my favoritism for specific animes.

Well for starters I do know that ones mental state can affect enjoyment, obviously. But as I said I'm pretty generios when it comes to if I drop a show. I don't have an episode limit but I'll keep watching unless I'm sure I hate it. And I know enough about my taste to know weather I'm just not enjoying a show cause of how I feel or I actually dislike the show itself regardless of how I feel, so that's not really an issue for me.

Just to be clear I've completed 302 anime and only dropped 17, so I don't actually drop too much. But if I hate something then I know I hate it and I won't push myself to watch any more then what I want.

BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:18 am

Ukkihsog wrote:I had for example one case it was anime called "Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru". First time when i watched i reached only up to episode 6. It was so boring i couldn't take it anymore and I dropped it.
Yeah, Yuki Yuna is deceptive like that - it takes longer than Madoka Magica's 3 episodes to truly hit you with its twist. But I found it to be well worth it, I absolutely adored the series. And I'm still super salty that there's no localization for season 2.

For the record: I think I dropped about 10-12 shows during my 17 years of watching anime. Not a whole lot, but when I feel nothing but boredom after a couple of episodes, I don't think forcing myself through is worth it anymore.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 am

According to mal I've dropped 73 shows, but I'm sure the actual number is higher than that. Nothing is really up to date. Anyway i choose to drop a show because i feel like it isn't worth my time, i get bored with it, or i start to guess what's going to happen next and l wind up right. I don't much care if I "miss something good." I don't take anime too seriously anymore i got burned out, now it's just watch whatever, drop whatever, and realise reading is where the interesting stuff is

Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:45 am

BlueSpark wrote:Yeah, Yuki Yuna is deceptive like that - it takes longer than Madoka Magica's 3 episodes to truly hit you with its twist. But I found it to be well worth it, I absolutely adored the series. And I'm still super salty that there's no localization for season 2.

For the record: I think I dropped about 10-12 shows during my 17 years of watching anime. Not a whole lot, but when I feel nothing but boredom after a couple of episodes, I don't think forcing myself through is worth it anymore.

Spoiler:
About ending i knew it was gonna be something like that but it still hit me pretty bad. I was so god gao happy that yuuki woke up ::yess::

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote: Anyway i choose to drop a show because i feel like it isn't worth my time, i get bored with it, or i start to guess what's going to happen next and l wind up right. I don't much care if I "miss something good."

For myself i start checking my phone or googling something else while watching at same time that means it is about time i let those series go ::terrible::

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:49 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:and realise reading is where the interesting stuff is

This is true, reading also isn't as much of a commitment, in terms of the way you can consume it. You can stop reading something at any point and put it aside but with anime you have to kinda keep your attention on it for a whole episode since it's made to be watched that way, you can just keep pausing and unpausing cause it breaks its flow but you don't have that issue with manga or books which aren't made to be done in just one sitting and can be easily put aside for a few moments an then came back to.

BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 am

Eira wrote:you can just keep pausing and unpausing cause it breaks its flow but you don't have that issue with manga or books which aren't made to be done in just one sitting and can be easily put aside for a few moments an then came back to.
My experience is a different one. I don't find there's much of a difference between anime and manga in this regard. At least for the few times I've read a manga, I routinely kept reading for several more pages to find a good stopping point when I wanted/needed to take a break. Stopping right in the middle of a scene didn't feel right to me. Of course, if I had to, I could stop and resume anywhere, but I can do the same thing with anime. The effect is largely the same for me.