How do you choose what anime to watch?

Current and Classic Animation!
Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime

Re: How do you choose what anime to watch?

Postby Ukkihsog » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:50 am

Eira wrote:This is true, reading also isn't as much of a commitment, in terms of the way you can consume it. You can stop reading something at any point and put it aside but with anime you have to kinda keep your attention on it for a whole episode since it's made to be watched that way, you can just keep pausing and unpausing cause it breaks its flow but you don't have that issue with manga or books which aren't made to be done in just one sitting and can be easily put aside for a few moments an then came back to.

By my standarts books are better. The negative aspect of it its super duper time consuming ::yess::. If i had to choose between anime and LN version of it i would choose LN.Just because there is so much more you can find in there compared to anime that is thr main aspect which keeps drawing me back to read to search for something interesting. Only sad part of it if you just finished amazing book all others feel so blank.. i even have to take break from reading for few weeks because of that ::terrible::. Worse case was when read KR novel Dungeon defense it has deep japanese LN roots with dark aspects in it but after reading this i couldnt pick any other book for over 2 months ::dread:: .

BlueSpark wrote:My experience is a different one. I don't find there's much of a difference between anime and manga in this regard. At least for the few times I've read a manga, I routinely kept reading for several more pages to find a good stopping point when I wanted/needed to take a break. Stopping right in the middle of a scene didn't feel right to me. Of course, if I had to, I could stop and resume anywhere, but I can do the same thing with anime. The effect is largely the same for me.

Same for me i dont see any meaning in reading mangas i only read it if there is no version of anime of it or i dont wanna wait for continuation. ::mischief::
P.S.
I would really sugest you both trying to read "Dungeon Defense" you might find what is so amazing about a trully good japanese inspired book ::peace::

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:37 am

Ukkihsog wrote:
Eira wrote:This is true, reading also isn't as much of a commitment, in terms of the way you can consume it. You can stop reading something at any point and put it aside but with anime you have to kinda keep your attention on it for a whole episode since it's made to be watched that way, you can just keep pausing and unpausing cause it breaks its flow but you don't have that issue with manga or books which aren't made to be done in just one sitting and can be easily put aside for a few moments an then came back to.

By my standarts books are better. The negative aspect of it its super duper time consuming ::yess::. If i had to choose between anime and LN version of it i would choose LN.Just because there is so much more you can find in there compared to anime that is thr main aspect which keeps drawing me back to read to search for something interesting. Only sad part of it if you just finished amazing book all others feel so blank.. i even have to take break from reading for few weeks because of that ::terrible::. Worse case was when read KR novel Dungeon defense it has deep japanese LN roots with dark aspects in it but after reading this i couldnt pick any other book for over 2 months ::dread:: .

BlueSpark wrote:My experience is a different one. I don't find there's much of a difference between anime and manga in this regard. At least for the few times I've read a manga, I routinely kept reading for several more pages to find a good stopping point when I wanted/needed to take a break. Stopping right in the middle of a scene didn't feel right to me. Of course, if I had to, I could stop and resume anywhere, but I can do the same thing with anime. The effect is largely the same for me.

Same for me i dont see any meaning in reading mangas i only read it if there is no version of anime of it or i dont wanna wait for continuation. ::mischief::
P.S.
I would really sugest you both trying to read "Dungeon Defense" you might find what is so amazing about a trully good japanese inspired book ::peace::

Kind of all of this. Everyone took it further than me but my original point was that the stuff that gets made into anime is usually much more "commercially viable" or as i put it sterile. This is of course due to t.v restrictions (gao you f.c.c) and just the cost to produce. That's why trope heavy shows, moe shows and again MY OPINION the same trash gets made over and over again. Novels, web comics, manga,manhua, LNs, and the like are so much cheaper some can self publish. I want to get as close to the authors intended format as i can, a perfect example is junji ito, probably one of the best mangaka publishing at least. He's had 2 anime and they're so garbage that i need to actively dissuade people and try to get them to read gyo,uzumaki,tome ect. It's not inherently that those studios are bad it's that ito relies on the page turn jump scare something anime can't really do

Ukkihsog
Crazy About Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:12 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Kind of all of this. Everyone took it further than me but my original point was that the stuff that gets made into anime is usually much more "commercially viable" or as i put it sterile. This is of course due to t.v restrictions (gao you f.c.c) and just the cost to produce. That's why trope heavy shows, moe shows and again MY OPINION the same trash gets made over and over again. Novels, web comics, manga,manhua, LNs, and the like are so much cheaper some can self publish. I want to get as close to the authors intended format as i can, a perfect example is junji ito, probably one of the best mangaka publishing at least. He's had 2 anime and they're so garbage that i need to actively dissuade people and try to get them to read gyo,uzumaki,tome ect. It's not inherently that those studios are bad it's that ito relies on the page turn jump scare something anime can't really do

Yea and its so sad to witness when people diss your favorite novel/manga just because anime is a failure in one way or another And lets not forget that anime is ussualy the front face of novel and manga. It prevents readers from seeing original works(By this i mean that compared to novel/manga. If adaptation to anime fails in one way or another. That makes people think that original work wont be any better). The best example is Arifureta which finished airing not long ago. I still can't comprehend how could they make such a great book into such a Shinji anime ::nono:: ::runcry::

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:you can't just keep pausing and unpausing cause it breaks its flow but you don't have that issue with manga or books which aren't made to be done in just one sitting and can be easily put aside for a few moments an then came back to.
My experience is a different one. I don't find there's much of a difference between anime and manga in this regard. At least for the few times I've read a manga, I routinely kept reading for several more pages to find a good stopping point when I wanted/needed to take a break. Stopping right in the middle of a scene didn't feel right to me. Of course, if I had to, I could stop and resume anywhere, but I can do the same thing with anime. The effect is largely the same for me.

I just meant on a short temporary basis. Like just for a few minuets, I can look up from a book and check something out for a few moments, I can stop and talk to someone or interact with something without needing to pause and then later unpause, and can then turn the attention back to the book right after. There's not as much commitment with a book. An anime feels much more like a start watching the episode and don't do much else till the episode is done.

But a book can be easily just stopped and resumed for short periods of time cause it's not going to go anywhere, it doesn't progress without you. It's not a huge deal to most people I imagine, but being able to read a book and do something small on the side is really nice. Like if it's just something you only need to actually do something for very periodically and can just do it every now and again without having to pause or unpause.

And then of course if you do get distracted or something comes up and you have to stop, you don't have to then go find the episode and specific time in the episode that you were up to, you do still have to find a page with a book but that's not nearly as annoying or specific to find.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat based discussions: Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:22 am

Thanks for elaborating, Eira, but I already understood what you meant. And I'm telling you it's simply not like that for me. I don't feel a difference between putting down a book for a minute and then resuming or pausing an anime episode for a minute and then resuming. It's the same thing to me. Well, almost; I think the one exception are very emotional scenes, which I wouldn't want to cut right in the middle.

Eira wrote:And then of course if you do get distracted or something comes up and you have to stop, you don't have to then go find the episode and specific time in the episode that you were up to, you do still have to find a page with a book but that's not nearly as annoying or specific to find.
Now that's a valid point; you always have a bookmark for a book, but a digital equivalent to that is not readily available (unless you're watching on YouTube). However, if I anticipate I'll get back to watching later in the day, I'll usually just leave my player opened (and the computer on standby), so I can instantly resume without having to find my stopping point again. That's something which is actually harder to do with a book (since a bookmark only indicates the page you stopped at, not the exact line) ;).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:16 am

BlueSpark wrote: (since a bookmark only indicates the page you stopped at, not the exact line) ;).

If you're coming back to a book and not storing it just put the bookmark east-west on your line.

BlueSpark
Super Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 am

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:If you're coming back to a book and not storing it just put the bookmark east-west on your line.
I guess you're right, you can do that in most cases where it matters. I was thinking of specific (but rather prevalent for me) cases where I'm taking the book with me in my backpack and then opening it back up. Perhaps proper bookmarks actually stay in place even in those cases, but my makeshift ones (read: paper tissues) sure don't :P.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:If you do get distracted or something comes up and you have to stop, you don't have to then go find the episode and specific time in the episode that you were up to, you do still have to find a page with a book but that's not nearly as annoying or specific to find.
Now that's a valid point; you always have a bookmark for a book [...] a bookmark only indicates the page you stopped at, not the exact line.

That's true to a degree but I don't think it's that hard to find, paragraphs make it pretty easy to find where you were and restarted from the start of a paragraph you were on isn't that big of a deal either since you can just read it fast. where just going to a general area of an anime episode and re watching or hearing lines can sometimes be a bit more annoying, but not always.

Also in terms of manga at least that's not really an issue, since you can pretty much always remember what panel you were on a lot more easy.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat based discussions: Eira#1560