Site Co-Founder

Re: Anime You Regret Watching

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:36 pm

woot im not crazy ;-)

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 pm

I CALL UPON THE POWER OF THE NECRONOMICON TO BRING DAMNATION TO THOSE WHO STAND IN MY WAY, MAKE THEM QUAKE IN THEIR VERY SKIN AND ALSO REVIVE THIS THREAD.

There are a ton of anime that I flat out wish I hadn't bothered watching. The flack for my opinions at the time stung but I've sense then just kind of embraced the salt so anyway if I could sell memories I'd definitely dump off watching;
Clannad
Clannad after story
Re:zero
Air
Shin sekai yori
Little Buster's
Little Buster's refrain
Steins gate
Gangsta
Eromanga Sensei
Oreimo
Aria
K-on
Nagi no asakura
And akb0048

I'm sure there are more but that's just off the top of my head

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 pm

If I was in Money and Intelligence I'd sell the memories I had with these shows
http://WWW.Working
Nanana's Buried Treasure
Shinsekai yori
Glasslip
Gundam 00
Haikyu
Shirobako
Dragon Ball Z (not kai ;D)
Umaru
Grave of the Fireflies
Chaika
Aldnoah Zero

Would take forever to list off each one in detail but if there's a certain show that sticks out and you want to know why Its on here lemme know xD
Inb4 senpai asks why everything is on here.

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 pm

This'll be fun. Truth be told theres not much I regret watching.

Comet Lucifer - A show has never insulted me so much. It would dangle plot over my head enough so to keep me coming back week then throw nothing the next week. then I'd be hopeful something good will happen and it would rinse repeat for 12 episodes. Then OH HEY. LETS CRAM 2 EPISODES OF PLOT INTO THE FINAL 5 MINUTES AND HAVE AN ENDING SO CONVOLUTED AND DUMB THST YOU'RE IN AWE OF THE STUPIDITY YOU HAVE JUST WITNESSED. I dropped it at least 3 times but kept coming back. WHY DID I DO THAT?!?!?!?AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Brighter Than the Dawning Blue - So this is a weird one. I generally really liked it, 12 episodes of solid romance and characters and during the last episode of the last 5 minutes it seemed to pull a dark twist out of nowhere. And honestly it brought a lot of weight to the show, it was going to be beautiful, tragic and emotional as heck. But they pulled THE BIGGEST arsepull I have ever witnessed and undid everything. In the span of 5 seconds it went from hidden gem, to trash. THEY HAD IT. THEY HAD A GREAT ENDING RIGHT THERE. And they snatched it away. And I spent money on it..

(Being dramatic for comedic effect, if anyone likes these dont be offended :3 )

Cerberus was bad, should have dropped it at episode 2, at least the cat girl in the show was a treat to look at. Munto to a degree. I spent at least a week watching the two movies and OVAs trying to find something that wasnt there. Your Name I regret because hype really killed that movie for me. I should have waited another year or two. Maybe I would have liked it. Dunno though, probably not. And much like your name I didnt like Grave of the Fireflies for the same reason. Overhype killed it. And the second half of Death Note. Ruined a good show.
Last edited by Crash Kamio on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 pm

SemiBolt wrote:Gundam 00

You just like to hurt me don't you?
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:13 pm

One I really regret watching is Psycho Pass 2. They tried so hard to create a different type of villain from the first season that the entire reason he could exist outside of the system was just convoluted bull crap. If that was their best idea they would have been better off just rehashing the first season's villain. They also really dropped the ball with the new characters, especially Shimotsuki. The most frustrating thing is that the first season showed just how good a show like this can be and then Pycho Pass 2 just falls on it's face with how dumb it got. The whole thing just left me feeling like I'd wasted my time.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:
SemiBolt wrote:Gundam 00

You just like to hurt me don't you?

IM SURRY WHISKEY. I blame my disinterest in mechanical things and space politics.

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:One I really regret watching is Psycho Pass 2. They tried so hard to create a different type of villain from the first season that the entire reason he could exist outside of the system was just convoluted bull crap. If that was their best idea they would have been better off just rehashing the first season's villain. They also really dropped the ball with the new characters, especially Shimotsuki. The most frustrating thing is that the first season showed just how good a show like this can be and then Pycho Pass 2 just falls on it's face with how dumb it got. The whole thing just left me feeling like I'd wasted my time.

Oh boy, I forgot about that, I definitely agree. With Urobuchi gone they had to tone up the violence to make it feel dark but it just ended up being edgier. I really liked the ending of S1 and would have preferred if they ended it there.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:55 pm

Martial Hearts, Ninja Resurrection, and Kite.

I was too curious about Martial Hearts, but that was a horrible anime! The end came out from left field, and the characters were very boring. Kite, I already said, was also pretty bad, with things near to hentai level, (although I heard it was worse with the uncensored one!), and way over the top violence, and characters outright defying physics. Ninja Resurrection played off the popularity of Ninja Scroll, but as I said in a previous thread, it failed horribly with anachronisms and a disgusting scene at the end of the first OVA, so I dropped watching it.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:04 pm

Crash Kamio wrote:And much like your name I didnt like Grave of the Fireflies for the same reason. Overhype killed it. And the second half of Death Note. Ruined a good show.

I didn't exactly regret watching Your Name, though it ended flat: the comedy at the beginning of the film was on point, but then the second half was a real drag! I also recently felt indifferent to Grave of the Fireflies. Death Note, unfortunately, was more or less following the manga, though I think the anime made some things a little better.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:11 am

Like a number of other posters on this thread, I don't generally regret watching anime series per se. Even if one turns out in a way I don't like, I usually find that I've gained at least something from the experience.

If you've followed a lot of my posts, you'll know that I don't subscribe to the notion of 'must-watch anime classics' - I don't believe any anime fan ever needs to have seen a particular show. However, at the same time, I do believe there's value to be found in almost anything you can watch. Neon Genesis Evangelion might have been one of my worst anime experiences, but I don't regret checking it out - particularly because it helps me catch a lot of references people are making.

However, a lot of (especially low-budget) shows don't really have that kind of value. Out of those, the ones I'd say I 'kind of' regret watching are a) offensive and b) boring series.

a) offensive:
Green Green. That's pretty much it. I'm not very sensitive to most of what other people find offensive when it comes to anime. I haven't watched Boku no Pico, or Euphoria. I semi-liked Yosuga no Sora. I'd probably get a kick out of Kiss X Sis.

Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot... Add Watamote to that. The level of schadenfreude that anime relishes in almost physically made me cringe. If I could take the experience back, I would.

b) boring:
There are a number of titles here that sit on the brink of "boring enough that I wish I hadn't bothered," but the two standout candidates are:
To Heart
Only Yesterday

(Oh, and if I could buy you guys' memories of Your Name and Psycho-Pass 2, here's my money. Anything to show these works more love :]).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!