The Quest to watch old anime to present

Current and Classic Animation!
DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

The Quest to watch old anime to present

Postby DieSchlachten » Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 pm

I recently was motivated to go back and watch old anime, anime I have missed, and anime I just haven't watched in a long time. The overall goal is to watch at least one anime from each year starting from 1970.
I will watch at least 6-12 episodes per show (if available) and then give some basic thoughts on the show. Then I will decide to continue watching from there.
FYI: I am not out to review nor am I a professional writer by any means. I just want to share this experience as I go through it.

The first show I am watching is Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow's Joe) which is a boxing anime that supposedly has a story of a young kid in the slums going from rags to riches.
I am already a good ways in. The main character is cocky, arrogant, and a total dick. However, as much as I thought this show was slow and average and hating the MC, the show gradually gets better as the story progresses. Eventually he learns how to box and there is fighting (go-fig). I won't spoil any more, those are just my initial thoughts through the first half of the show.
Too-too-roo!
"We'll do some culture afterwards" -Macross (1982 Ep 36)

SeismicWolf
Otaku

Re: The Quest to watch old anime to present

Postby SeismicWolf » Mon May 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Sounds like an Awesome Idea. I look forward to Reading your thoughts. Good luck, There are Tons of great Anime out there.

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Thu May 21, 2015 4:50 am

Ashita no Joe (1970)

After completely binge watching 79 episodes of this boxing anime, I can say that it is a heart wrenching sports story. Never have I watched an anime where I started out hating the main character (Joe Yabuki) as much as I did and then find myself rooting for him. The development of Joe from when he first shows up in the Tokyo slums up until the very last moment of the show is a rare progression of a character if I have ever seen one.

With that being said, the show has an extremely slow pace to it. The story is quite morbid in a lot of ways, but really gets you into how the main character thinks and why he acts the way he does.

I did find myself spacing out a bit during the show to it's repetitive dialog, but when it came to finally fighting (a few characters in particular) in the square jungle, I was enthralled and on the edge of my seat.
If you are a true fan of sports and sports anime, give this a try and don't let this old art style or repetitive audio bug you too much.

If you guys have any questions about the show or more about my thoughts, ask away.
Too-too-roo!

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Thu May 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Update
Here is a list of the anime from the 70's I hope to give a try:

1971 Lupin III *Finished
1972 Umi no Triton (Triton of the Sea)
1973 Ace wo Nerae (Aim for the Ace) *Currently half way through #Madhouse
1974 Alps no Shoujo Heidi (Heidi, Girl of the Alps) #Miyazaki (Ghibli) and Tomino (MSG)
Fall Uchuu Senkan Yamato (Space Battleship Yamato) *Just started #Leiji Matsumoto
1975 La Seine no Hoshi (Star of the Seine) #Tomino helped
Yuusha Raideen #Tomino helped
1976 Haha wo Tazunete Sanzenri (3000 Leagues in Search of Mother) #Miyazaki
Daikuu Maryuu Gaiking
1977 Lupin III Part II *Slowly been watching
Arrow Emblem Grand Prix no Taka *probably will just watch the movie
1978 Mirai Shounen Conan (Future Boy Conan) *Finished #Miyazaki
Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Harlock (Space Pirate Captain Harlock) #Leiji Matsumoto
Ginga Tetsudou 999 (Galaxy Express 999) *Slowly watching already #Leiji Matsumoto
1979 Mobile Suit Gundam *Watched many times #Tomino
Ginga Tetsudou 999 (Galaxy Express 999) Movie #Leiji Matsumoto

If you guys have suggestions or other anime you would like to see "covered", just let me know.
Too-too-roo!

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Thu May 21, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm gonna be payin attention to this thread. I've been wanting to watch some older anime. It's been a while since I watched an anime from pre 2000
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Fri May 22, 2015 3:03 am

Lupin III (1971)
I re-watched this series about a year ago and watched it a lot in the 90's, but I think this show is too good to pass on.
This is the first animated series with the amazing third generation thief, Lupin with his gang of buds Goemon the samurai and Jigen the marksman. Also, one can't forget about the mystery cunning and sexy woman that is Fujiko Mine whom Lupin is totally weak in the knees for.
Lupin III is episodic in every sense, and if James Bond was a thief, he would be Lupin. This is a fantastic show with each episode keeping your interest in the crew, and when will Inspector Zenigata (whom has devoted his entire life to catching Lupin) finally put the cuffs on Lupin.
Each character is totally lovable and once you watch a few episodes you will quickly realize how this show even stands up today. The art style stands the test of time, music is wonderful, and really pushes the boundaries of the time in which it came out. Bear in mind, this is also a bit more mature compared to the Lupin series that proceeded it (Lupin III part II and part III).
If you are an old-school anime fan and need something to watch from the 70's that isn't a super robot, look no further than the womanizing thief himself.
Too-too-roo!

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Fri May 22, 2015 6:34 am

Thanks for the peek back into time. I'll be watching this thread :) Where are you finding these older titles?

DieSchlachten
I Bleed Anime

Postby DieSchlachten » Fri May 22, 2015 6:59 am

Neko wrote:Thanks for the peek back into time. I'll be watching this thread :) Where are you finding these older titles?

A few friends of mine have these, I have old vhs tapes, but mostly all digital and streaming* (some are too expensive or hard to find). I primarily use animeultima.
Too-too-roo!

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Fri May 22, 2015 7:09 am

One title I wanted to see back in the day but it was so expensive was The Wings of Honnêamise. Came ou same year as Ghost in the Shell, I think.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 pm

Wings of Honneamise is older than Ghost in the Shell. It came out in 1987 while GiTS came out in 1995.