What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
Wolfears
I Love Anime

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Wolfears » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 am

Jest finished watching a seminal work, I think it could be described as. Cowboy Bebop is I am sure an anime that everyone here has watched. So not much to add here that has not already been said. Even though being episodic can lead to issues for many, I did not find it an issue. Although is is slightly uneven, I loved it overall. The animation style is fantastic, the big band jazz soundtrack would be difficult to better, Has not dated a bit in my mind, and the final reel .........Blimey Charlie

Athrun-chan
I Love Anime

Postby Athrun-chan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Finished Seikai Senki II today!

Seikai Senki II plot summary: this one continues where Seikai Senki stopped, with Lafiel and crew cleaning up different territories after the war. The main conflict occurs on the planet of Lobnas II this time, which houses a colony of unruly criminals who need to evacuate. Needless to say, Jinto gets in some trouble there.

I had the same issues with this season as I had with the previous two seasons; they seemed to drag on for me. This one was slightly more interesting, due to the introduction of more characters, but it still didn't grab me the way I hoped it would :/ There was no change that I noticed in the art or sound quality, so I won't comment about it. No new favorite characters, either.
Spoiler:
Also, there was a big fake-out death at the end that disappointed me. If you have the guts to strongly hint at killing off the main character, you should go through with it!
シャア!謀ったな!シャアアアアアア!
あらあら。。。これはザフトの船ではありませんのね!

Athrun-chan
I Love Anime

Postby Athrun-chan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Finished Bungou Stray Dogs (first season) today~

Bungou Stray Dogs plot summary: An orphaned young man named Atsushi works with a detective agency of magically gifted oddballs to solve various crimes, especially those related to the criminal organization Port Mafia.

The first thing I noticed when I started this series was that the character design, art style, and animation were all beautiful. Fortunately, the high quality continued through the entire series. For me, this fact alone made it worth watching. The OP and ED songs were pretty good as well.

The story was enjoyable, albeit more mini arc-based due to the focus on individual cases every few episodes. This didn't bother me at first, but by the end of the series, it wasn't able to conclude in a satisfying way. The final episode felt really unnatural, so I understand why Andrew and Chris had issues with it during their review when it aired. Also, sometimes the comedy was awkwardly timed, and mostly fell flat for me.

The characters were cute and interesting, and although I didn't really fall in love with any of them. My favorite character was Akiko Yosano, though I also liked Doppo Kunikida and Kyouka Izumi. I'm excited to watch the second season!!
シャア!謀ったな!シャアアアアアア!
あらあら。。。これはザフトの船ではありませんのね!

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:42 pm

I guess this is more of a "what anime are you not watching," but I decided to stop almost every show I was watching from this season. Instead of investing so much time in keeping up with currently airing shows, I've shifted my priorities a little.

I'm going to start binging old shows to clear up my anime "pile of shame." Instead of investing time in unknown quantities, I want to focus on the most popular and highly regarded shows that I've just not been able to get around to since i've been following anime seasonally.

The only shows i'm watching from this season are My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan. Moving into the future, i'm probably going to only be keeping up with 1-3 currently airing series and that's it.

As for old shows, i'm going to continue working my way through Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, Madoka Magica, and Toradora. I also recently started re-watching old favorites, beginning with Death Note, which I finished not too long ago, and now Code Geass, since it's been like 8 years since i've last seen either of them. Next will probably be Darker Than Black.

This also frees up more time to be more consistent with my YouTube series "Manga vs Anime", in which i'm currently covering Deadman Wonderland.

The other reason i'm doing this is also so I could start practicing my writing, since i'm currently still working my way through college and really need to start building up a portfolio and getting some good writing practice. If I only cover 1-3 shows a season, it'll be much easier for me to write more long-form episodic reviews (I could also do this for the Watch-Alongs that we have here on the forum, since I should have more time). If i'm binging old series, i'll also be able to write traditional reviews for those.

Anywho, that's what's up with me. Unfortunately, this means you may not catch me in the seasonal discussion section as much, but I'll still be posting everything I write in their relevant forum threads. And of course, i'll be interacting in the general discussions and stuff, as always.

DestroyerGX
I Bleed Anime

Postby DestroyerGX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Finished both seasons of ef. I thought overall it was good, although unlike many, I felt the second season was stronger than the first. Yuko Amamiya must be one of my most favorite characters; despite all she went through, she doesn't give up. I won't spoil the ending, but it definitely brought tears to my eyes.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:39 am

DestroyerGX wrote:Finished both seasons of ef. I thought overall it was good, although unlike many, I felt the second season was stronger than the first.
There's definitely a case to be made for that. I liked the first season slightly better, but that's very much due to personal bias - I'm a sucker for happy endings, and Melodies ends on a rather bittersweet note.

And yeah, Yuko certainly is one amazing girl. Knowing her story makes you appreciate her much more while rewatching Memories, too (at least it did for me).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 am

thegenkiguy wrote:I guess this is more of a "what anime are you not watching," but I decided to stop almost every show I was watching from this season. Instead of investing so much time in keeping up with currently airing shows, I've shifted my priorities a little.

I'm going to start binging old shows to clear up my anime "pile of shame." Instead of investing time in unknown quantities, I want to focus on the most popular and highly regarded shows that I've just not been able to get around to since i've been following anime seasonally.

The only shows i'm watching from this season are My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan. Moving into the future, i'm probably going to only be keeping up with 1-3 currently airing series and that's it.

As for old shows, i'm going to continue working my way through Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, Madoka Magica, and Toradora. I also recently started re-watching old favorites, beginning with Death Note, which I finished not too long ago, and now Code Geass, since it's been like 8 years since i've last seen either of them. Next will probably be Darker Than Black.

This also frees up more time to be more consistent with my YouTube series "Manga vs Anime", in which i'm currently covering Deadman Wonderland.

The other reason i'm doing this is also so I could start practicing my writing, since i'm currently still working my way through college and really need to start building up a portfolio and getting some good writing practice. If I only cover 1-3 shows a season, it'll be much easier for me to write more long-form episodic reviews (I could also do this for the Watch-Alongs that we have here on the forum, since I should have more time). If i'm binging old series, i'll also be able to write traditional reviews for those.

Anywho, that's what's up with me. Unfortunately, this means you may not catch me in the seasonal discussion section as much, but I'll still be posting everything I write in their relevant forum threads. And of course, i'll be interacting in the general discussions and stuff, as always.

I might start doing that as well :D I like watching weekly anime to keep up with the community's im in but there's so many older ones i gotta watch that i know i'll love xD

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:42 am

thegenkiguy wrote:I guess this is more of a "what anime are you not watching," but I decided to stop almost every show I was watching from this season. Instead of investing so much time in keeping up with currently airing shows, I've shifted my priorities a little.

Take my hand, I'll lead you to the promised lands of older anime! Let's start with devilman!!!

thegenkiguy
Crazy About Anime

Postby thegenkiguy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:41 am

SemiBolt wrote:I might start doing that as well :D I like watching weekly anime to keep up with the community's im in but there's so many older ones i gotta watch that i know i'll love xD

It has been a huge relief. Yeah, it's a little disappointing not being able to talk about every single seasonal anime with everyone, but it's not a huge deal.

After all, I barely play video games anymore, but I still enjoy listening to podcasts and discussions about them ^^ And it also allows me to keep notes on the great games everyone is enjoying for when I do get back into games.

I was watching waaay too many shows from each season and I was probably getting a little burnt out. This experience so far has been pretty refreshing.

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:Take my hand, I'll lead you to the promised lands of older anime! Let's start with devilman!!!

Sure! I'll create the After-Dark thread. Though I dunno about the Devilman 39-episode series. Instead, it has 2 1-hour OVA's that tighten up the story. Wanna watch those instead? xP

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:23 pm

I re-watched Evangelion 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone sice Limited Edition Blu-Ray finally arrived at my doorstep(it has Rei on cover so Fullmetal would be satisfied).