What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
Ramza
I Like Anime

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Ramza » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:44 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Ramza wrote:Enter, Love Live! [...] This show had a lot more heart than I was expecting. [...] As I came into the final few episodes I was sucker punched right in the feels
Dang, I might need to give it a look after all. Like you, I haven't really been interested in idol series. However, with shows like K-On! and New Game! winning me over due to their lovable characters, their antics and struggles, and many heartfelt moments, I probably shouldn't categorically pass on the idol stuff, either.

If you liked K-On! then i have no doubt you will like Love Live! I would be really interested to know what your thoughts are on it once you watch it :)

Companion Kyuubey wrote:
Ramza wrote:Honoka - I can admit that this girl did some silly stuff but she completely won me over in the end. My favorite member by far. She is super cute and has that naivety all good leading moe characters need. Very similar to Yui but has a charm all of her own.

Honoka forever!!! I thought I was all alone loving her

Right on man! I absolutely adore Honoka now. She is the shining star in the moe universe.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Oh my god... Your Name might have just knocked Wolf Children off my favorite anime movie spot. That was amazing! It's hard for me to believe this is a Shinkai film, considering I haven't really been particularly impressed by any of his previous works. This movie, though... I probably forgot to breathe more times than is healthy for me. I was utterly immersed and glued to my TV screen starting from around the 30-minute mark (and even what I saw before that point was extremely enjoyable).

The step-by-step process of unraveling just what exactly was going on kept me on the edge of my seat, and by the end, the feels were hit just right. Tears were shed. I was also mildly surprised by the final scene, which didn't seem typical Shinkai, but I love the movie all the more for it. Expect me to go for a rewatch in probably just a couple of weeks - this'll be an anime movie I can go to time and again, just like Wolf Children or Marnie.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Wait until you can watch a silent voice. Then it will be a struggle to place a top 1.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Oh... Sorry to disappoint, I did watch that one a couple of weeks ago :P. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it didn't blow my mind as much as Your Name did. I do not want to start an argument on which one of the two is superior and why, though - they're both fantastic films.

Your Name just catered to my tastes better, I guess. Which seems a little strange seeing how the theme of forlorn love, which is Shinkai's trademark and something I'm not usually a big fan of, was definitely present here. But together with everything else that the movie presented, it just clicked with me.

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 pm

BlueSpark wrote: I do not want to start an argument on which one of the two is superior and why, though - they're both fantastic films.

Don't worry, i am on the same boat. I actually think they are too different from one another for such thing. I could not understand the fight on internet over this.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am

Just finished koi to uso. What a shame this show ends on such note. It would have had so much more meaning and impact had a choice been made. It would have made the top list.
But those eyes damnit! It really was an eyesore for me during the whole show. But that is just personal taste. It doesn't remove any merit to this show.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:15 am

Well, A Centaur's Life was thoroughly underwhelming. Even considering its episodic format, it felt disjointed and aimless to me. The comedy and heartwarming moments, which are the core strengths of many slice-of-life series, weren't enough to carry this one (like they did in, say, Interviews with Monster Girls). Plus I have to reluctantly admit that even the English dub felt very sub-par for the most part. Not a show I would recommend, nor will I likely remember it for long.

On the bright side, though, I really liked both the opening and closing song (especially the OP, which had 5 different 'phases' instead of the usual 3). My favorite character was the snake... pardon, the Antarctican girl. Her introduction episode had me really intrigued. I also loved the boy and his mermaid childhood friend – something about him carrying her around felt incredibly sweet :>. A shame that this one scene was basically their entire screen time in the series. I Imagine Chris had a blast watching the class president's little sisters, though :D.

After that, I quickly knocked out the much shorter and much more enjoyable Tsuredure Children. Now there's some sugar for your heart. The lack of a cohesive story and therefore reduced investment in the characters means it's not a serious contender for a spot in my top romance animes. But what the show set out to do, it did rather well. The couples were all distinct enough to stand out as unique. I was a bit surprised that I actually teared up during the final scene between Kanna and Chiaki. I only wish Mr. Blessed-by-Cupid and his admirer would've had a final scene to bring them a little closer to each other :P.

Ramza
I Like Anime

Postby Ramza » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I have been smashing out a few shows lately in spite of my hectic schedule. I feel guilty for neglecting my responsibilities but it's so hot here atm and chilling out under the air conditioning and watching anime is the life :)

Shirobako - Finally got around to finishing this. I stopped watching it after the first cour and came back a couple months later to finish the second cour. Overall it was a great series that i found very enjoyable. It was awesome to get some insight into how anime is made. If I was going to watch this show again I would probably try the dub as there is so much dialogue in this show that it took a lot of focus to keep pace with the subs and the visuals.

Musaigen no phantom World - I ditched this show when it was airing but decided to come back to it because I liked the story, and the colours used in the animation. Pretty fun show which is a mix between soft harem/slice of life. I will say that ive never really understood the loli fandom until this show introduced me to Kurumi. This adorable character stole my heart. She is so incredibly cute with her teddy bear and shy nature that I wanted to hug her every time she was on screen. I was so glad that they never sexualised her to the point that it became creepy and awkward (I am looking at you Tenshi no 3p!). Kurumi is the little sister everyone needs.

Made in Abyss - When shows get hyped, or popular, it really puts me off, so I skip them. I treaded carefully through the social media network of spoilers for months, but I finally got tired of it, so I gave in and started watching episode one. I wasn't expecting anything from this show at all. I had no expectation and knew nothing about it, apart from that it was about kids that mine caves. Oh boy did this show blow me away!! I was hooked after episode one and binged it until finish. I already want to go back and watch it again, it was that good. I want more, so much more! I am so glad i got to watch this in one sitting, I don't think I could deal with watching it each week. I need a second season asap!

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Ramza wrote:
Made in Abyss - When shows get hyped, or popular, it really puts me off, so I skip them. I treaded carefully through the social media network of spoilers for months, but I finally got tired of it, so I gave in and started watching episode one. I wasn't expecting anything from this show at all. I had no expectation and knew nothing about it, apart from that it was about kids that mine caves. Oh boy did this show blow me away!! I was hooked after episode one and binged it until finish. I already want to go back and watch it again, it was that good. I want more, so much more! I am so glad i got to watch this in one sitting, I don't think I could deal with watching it each week. I need a second season asap!

It's a given it will be show of the year (everyone here would bet on this) with tsuki ga kirei as second.
Last edited by fragoff on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:36 am

Ramza wrote:Shirobako – [...] If I was going to watch this show again I would probably try the dub as there is so much dialogue in this show that it took a lot of focus to keep pace with the subs and the visuals.
Well, the unfortunate truth is that there is no English dub for Shirobako. Lucky for me, the anime volumes are currently being published with a German dub, so I'll eventually be able to watch it, regardless :). We're also getting a German localization for Usagi Drop - hype!

Ramza wrote:Musaigen no phantom World - I ditched this show when it was airing but decided to come back to it because I liked the story, and the colours used in the animation. Pretty fun show which is a mix between soft harem/slice of life.
I'm still on the fence about this one; since I usually love what Kyoto Animation puts out, much like Andrew, it should be a no-brainer. The supernatural aspects mentioned in the genre tags and the synopsis made me a little hesitant, though. Your emphasizing the slice-of-life/harem aspects is spurring my hopes ;).