What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:19 am

So, Yurikuma Arashi was… wow. The show had the style of Penguindrum (done by the same director, if I'm not mistaken) all over it. I wasn't a big fan of Revue Starlight, and I ended up dropping Revolutionary Girl Utena when I tried to watch it, but this series just clicked with me.

I could take or leave all the lesbian innuendo and symbolism. The humor was good, but not amazing. However, the story absolutely captured me. The mystery-laden, fragmented storytelling style kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Possibly even more than it did for Penguindrum (It's definitely a close call).

Lulu and Ginko went from "I hope these obnoxious girl bears die in a fire, preferably before they hurt anyone" to "God, can I please hug these two and shelter them from all this cruel racism?". The ending was beautifully poetic and bittersweet. I'll definitely be looking to add this one to my blu-ray collection.

Off-topic note: This makes my 1,500th post. Yay. I feel slightly proud of myself.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

July Report Card

Postby Eira » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:08 am

July Report Card:

4th: I re-watched Spirited Away, since I haven't watched it since getting a physical copy. So I finally did that, and I gotta say it's only better on a re-watch. A lot more details to notice, I found the story easier to keep track of and overall just had a much better time watching it this time then I did the first time and love it even more then I did before. Always happy to watch Spirited Away.

Eira wrote:June 25th: The Seven Deadly Sins. [...] So far though it's not very good. [...] Really hope it get's better.
- 7th: I finished it off and I can safely say that it did indeed get a LOT better. Once Ban & King came into the cast it got a lot better, lot more for people to do and a lot more relationships to explore. Plus Elizabeth eventually stopped being so god gao useless and it made more and more sense for her to be wherever she was, same for hawk. The battles got better, the cast overall for really fleshed out and enjoyable, the final arc of season 1 in the kingdom was just an absolute joy to watch.

The way the characters are used is so great, the situations for everyone kept changing and it was constantly fun to watch, I'm really glad I stuck it out for a little bit longer after last time cause it really came into it's own and I loved it.

10th - 11th: The Seven Deadly Sins: Signs of Holy War is "season 2"? Maybe.. It's only 4 episodes, and it's filler-ish, but MAL and Netflix both treat it like a full season and not a side thing, which feels wrong.

Either way this was fine enough, it was alright, had some fun development in there but for the most part was pretty pointless, don't really know why it was it's own thing. Also I got a bone to pick with Diana and King's relationship, spoilers for season 2/3 as well, cause I got stuff to say!

Spoiler:
They can't keep getting away with this! The way they mess with Diana and King's memories is too much. So first we find out that they use to be friends hundreds of years ago, but king wiped Diana's memory to protect her and so he can leave without upsetting her, fine. And eventually Diana remembers this stuff, we find that out here in 'Signs of Holy War' and then she tells King that she remembers and kisses him on the check. This is great so far, I like their relationship! But then KING FORGETS ABOUT JUST THIS PART, so we're back to him not knowing that she remembers and also not remembering the kiss, this made me slightly annoyed, but fine, whatever. Season 3 happens and Diana start's to forget everything again and then king finds out she remembers but it's too late cause she's forgotten them again! Like seriously, just let the two be together!

11th - 22nd: The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of the Commandments, show starts to go a bit off the rails here, I overall still enjoyed it but I wish it had a bit more structure and a bit more of a clear path to follow. It's quite messy and feels like it was made up as it went along, First season felt like it was a full contained story, if the story had ended after season 1 it could of still made sense. But this goes all over the gao place!

Like I said I still liked it but there's a lot going on. Tons of new factions, tons of retcons, tons of bullshit backstory added in and a just a whole lot of madness going on. Plus they added power levels! DON'T ADD POWER LEVELS! They always end up getting way too out of hand and usually end up meaning nothing, I get why writers want to do it, I want to do it when I write, but it's such a bad idea. I'm looking forward to next season in fall but I'm worried about the future of this.

22nd - 27th: Another re-watch, this time K-On!, which obviously included the extra episodes, like Live House. I freaking love K-on, always have, always will. This is my overall 3rd time going through it and each time I'm reminded how good it is and just like with Spirited Away I like it even more after this rewatch, it's just so good on so many levels, there's basically nothing it does wrong for me, I can't really think of a single complaint, there's very few shows or movies that can be like that for me.

24th - Still Watching : Another re-watch and another KyoAni show, I'm sure you can know why. This time Nichijou easily my favorite comedy of all time and use to be my favorite show of all time, although I'd say that's not the case anymore, it's still VERY good and I love it as always. No surprise there, it's still able to make me burst out with laughter after all this time and after seeing the jokes over and over, they're just so expertly crafted. As soon as one starts I'm going 'oh, it's this one' and I get excited to see it and then when it's done I still end up laughing, it's just always enjoyable. Still making my way through this atm.

27th - Still Watching: And of course K-On!! the second season. And obviously I know it's better then the first one going in. I love K-On's second season a hell of a lot. Getting to see some more focus on Ui and some much needed focus on Jun is really good to see and I like the dynamic between those two and Azynyan. Episodes like 'Left behind' are great the way they show what they were doing while the "Main" Girls were off on their school trip. The way the cast expands with each character in the main girls class has a design, a name, and a personality, sawa-chan getting to be a homeroom teacher, Nodoka not getting side lined as hard. The world is expanded greatly and overall there's just so much extra going on and so much to see and take in and all of it's great! God I love this show!

Also I still haven't started any of the shows from this season yet, I need to get on that ASAP!
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: July Report Card

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:10 am

Eira wrote:24th - Still Watching : Another re-watch and another KyoAni show, I'm sure you can know why. This time Nichijou easily my favorite comedy of all time
I'm pretty stoked to check out the newly released dub soon. Nichijou seems to have a good bit of overlap with Paniponi Dash in terms of its comedy style, and I enjoyed the latter quite a bit. Also given how I tend to enjoy Funimation's localizations for comedy shows, I'm fairly confident that this one's going to be great.

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: July Report Card

Postby Eira » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:16 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:This time it's Nichijou, easily my favorite comedy of all time.
I'm pretty stoked to check out the newly released dub soon. Nichijou seems to have a good bit of overlap with Paniponi Dash in terms of its comedy style, and I enjoyed the latter quite a bit. Also given how I tend to enjoy Funimation's localizations for comedy shows, I'm fairly confident that this one's going to be great.

I was very surprised when I heard that a Nichijou dub was going to be a real thing. I'm still pretty surprised that it's even a thing that happened but it's good that more people will be able to see it now. I'll be awaiting your response to it, curious to see what you think.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:48 am

Maria the Virgin Witch turned out to be a pretty 'okay' watch for me. The premise was rather unique, and Maria served as a compelling main character. I was surprised at the raunchy comedy bits involving her succubus and incubus (especially pertaining to the latter's distinct lack of... manliness). Usually, I get nothing but annoyed by the church as an antagonistic force in anime. But the two main clergimen in this one were unexpectedly interesting. Some decent drama in the latter half, and quite a satisfying final 'conflict' in the last episode. Probably not a show I'd consider for a rewatch, however (it being a fantasy and all).

Afterwards, I checked out Isekai Quartet, a.k.a. the show I pushed myself through Overlord for. I don't think there's much to say about this one - it's short, it's a simple concept, and it's quite funny. I thought Aqua and Tanya in particular worked great here, as did the joke of Ainz having to keep up the "perfect leader" front for his subordinates. Very solid entertainment factor overall. I'm looking forward to checking out season 2, whenever that comes out.

Eira wrote:I'll be awaiting your response to it, curious to see what you think.
Right after my current rewatch of Bloom Into You, Nichijou is next on my list, by the way :).

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:02 am

So, it turns out that Nichijou's comedy was pretty hit-or-miss for me. The closest thing I could compare it to is Paniponi Dash, and perhaps Azumanga Daioh. Some of the gags that did click with me were pretty darn amazing, but the further into the show I got, the more jokes fell flat for me.

Some examples of the latter: The exaggerated sweating and panting of characters under stress. The episodes (or half-episodes) taking place on the airship. Mio being used as the butt of schadenfreude-based jokes by either her sister or Yuko. Or the brief second of the teacher hitting Yuko with his note book being repeated about 30 times in a row.

On the flipside, the show frequently cracked me up, too. The first standout moment I remember is the quote "My, what a fine corkscrew punch this morning." The talking crow was a thing of comedic beauty. And a lot of other moments had me chuckling like an idiot, too. However, precisely because Nichijou fires off such a non-stop barrage of gags, most of them didn't leave a lasting impact on me.

I will say that I can kind of see why many thought the show wasn't dub-able: A couple of wordplay jokes seemed either confusing or were really stretching it. But there were others which I thought were quite excellently crafted (such as "utterly/udderly terrible"). Apart from puns, the dub script was very competently done (better than, for instance, Paniponi Dash, which is a much older localization), so I have nothing to complain about in that department.

Both OPs are of the overly catchy, fast-paced type, complete with a lot of dance moves - reminiscent of something like the Lucky Star opening (or perhaps that of Toradora!). I don't usually like these songs in other animes, but here, I thought both were at least decently nice to listen to. My favorite song, however, has to be the 1st ED. It's such a silly, childish tune, but I highly enjoyed listening to it :).

For most of the show, I considered Yuko my favorite character - her inherent stupidity made her a natural generator for laugh-out-loud moments while still being fairly likeable. However, in the end, Mio claimed the best girl spot. Her little character arc in the last (or second-to-last?) episode was rather heartwarming to watch, and between all the other crazies mixed into the cast, she was easily the most relatable character in the series.
However, bonus points for the tsundere girl with a crush on goat boy. She was equal parts annoying and endearing - just as tsunderes are supposed to.
Oh, and the character interactions between Yuko and Hakase were amazing. It's a crying shame they only met twice over the course of the series. I would've loved to see more of their goofiness and crazy shenanigans.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:19 am

BlueSpark wrote:So, it turns out that Nichijou's comedy was pretty hit-or-miss for me. Some of the gags that did click with me were pretty darn amazing, but the further into the show I got, the more jokes fell flat for me.

That's a shame to hear, still glad that you enjoyed it and by the sounds of what you said it seems like it wasn't really the dubs fault and more so just that some gags didn't land for you, which obviously is gonna happen with comedy, different people with different things funny.

Even I have gags in Nichijou that don't land but there's not many, only one I can think off the top of my head is Nano dealing with the cockroach trapped under a bowl she's holding down, that just felt way too long and dragged out.
BlueSpark wrote:Some examples of the latter: The exaggerated sweating and panting of characters under stress. The episodes (or half-episodes) taking place on the airship. Mio being used as the butt of schadenfreude-based jokes by either her sister or Yuko. Or the brief second of the teacher hitting Yuko with his note book being repeated about 30 times in a row.

I can understand why most of those might not land for some people, I personally love them myself for the most part. Especially the Airship episodes, I think they're absolutely priceless I can't get over how incompetent the guards are and each Airship gag just keeps introducing weird elements to it that just slowly bring it higher and higher levels of absurdity.
BlueSpark wrote:For most of the show, I considered Yuko my favorite character - her inherent stupidity made her a natural generator for laugh-out-loud moments while still being fairly likeable. However, in the end, Mio claimed the best girl spot. However, bonus points for the tsundere girl with a crush on goat boy. She was equal parts annoying and endearing - just as tsunderes are supposed to.

A real gao shame you can't see Nano for the best girl she truly is. But mad respect for liking Tachibana (Gun Girl) I loved her from the very first episode and she was my favorite before Nano got more time to make me love her. Yuuko is also a great choice and I'd have to give her a second place, she has a ton of amazing gags.

Of course I love all the characters, even all the small sides ones end up getting more then enough time to shine and have moments, I think the show juggles what ends up being a very large cast quite well. As well as the pace in which it introduces these side characters and starts to make them show up more and more and eventually begin to carry gags on their own.

BlueSpark wrote:Oh, and the character interactions between Yuko and Hakase were amazing. It's a crying shame they only met twice over the course of the series. I would've loved to see more of their goofiness and crazy shenanigans.

Yuuko's friendship with Nano and thus Hakase is quite interesting and is really good at expanding the pretty limited possibilities of Sakamoto and Hakase who are stuck to the house most of the time. Which is why Nakamura being
Spoiler:
Sakamotos old owner
is also a really good addition. But something I do wanna mention is that eventually Yuuko becomes the third person to know that Sakamoto can talk. By the end of the Manga she's the only extra person to know.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:47 am

Eira wrote:still glad that you enjoyed it and by the sounds of what you said it seems like it wasn't really the dubs fault and more so just that some gags didn't land for you
Yup, I sure had a good time watching Nichijou, make no mistake there. But given how incredibly popular the anime is, it didn't quite live up to the hype for me. Still a solid KyoAni show.

Eira wrote:Especially the Airship episodes, I think they're absolutely priceless
Sadly, the only parts I liked about these episodes were the final 5-second punchlines involving Mio. Needless to say it felt like a drag for me to sit through the rest only for a single good laugh at the end :P.

Eira wrote:I think the show juggles what ends up being a very large cast quite well.
Indeed. There are small exceptions (I still didn't have much of an impression of Annaka at the end of the series), but for the most part, each side character plays their role brilliantly. My favorite among them was definitely goat boy (shame on me for not remembering his name) - I just loved the clash between his refined image and the absurdity of what he often says or does. Plus he's simply a super likeable guy.

Eira
Anime Junky

August Report Card

Postby Eira » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:08 am

August Report Card:

6th - 11th: So I finally went and watched Berserk (1997) and it was pretty bloody good. Really ended up enjoying it and it was my first ever expose to Berserk in any way, shape, or form and I didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I did, good Shinji.

I ended up talking a lot about it on the Red Leaf Retrocast which I was a quest on and it's the whole reason I even watched the show, but I'm real glad I did. I would write more about it but after that podcast I've kinda explained myself out on it.

May 3rd - August 19th: Yep that's right, something I started way back in May before I even did this format, It's Endro~! which due to a series of events I had ended up leaving on the back burner for a long time and I wanted to return to shows I had stuck on my watching list and kinda clean the whole thing up, so I sat down and got it done. It ended up being alright but overall I was expecting more from this show back when I started it, it's not bad and it has it's moments and the world building is really interesting but overall it just didn't do things the way I would of liked most of the time.

2018 October 26th - 2019 August 21st: Even a longer time ago, funnily enough this show took me exactly 300 days to watch. Bloom Into You is really good. I enjoyed it a lot more then I thought I would originally. There was a time when I was up to date with the show as it was airing but I feel behind cause HIDIVE's app suddenly dropped most of it's library, and then there was the period of time where I wasn't able to afford any subscriptions and now that I'm back the app has been fixed, so I went and finally got it done, really enjoyable show and I can't wait for their to be more.

And their better be more, considering they set up plenty of plot points that didn't resolve by the end, like most of the season is building up to the culture festival and we haven't even seen it yet.

22nd: My Hero Academia is some over hyped nonsense, I wouldn't really call it bad but I sat down and watching it all in one single sitting and tbh, it wasn't great or anything really, a pretty lackluster and below average show all things considered. I really don't know why so many people lose their mind over this show and sign its praises. At first I was like 'okay, most people say season 2 is where it get's good anyway' so I forged onward to season 2.

23rd - 25th: My Hero Academia 2 is also over hyped, still didn't really turn into a great shonen like everyone keeps calling it. It's kinda hard to explain why I didn't really love it because... I almost feel like it doesn't need explaining. The story is weird, powers are inconsistent, characters make no sense and have no internal logic, the show spends an insane amount of time doing nothing, most arcs and situations are drawn out to an insane length, animation is average most of the time and it's obvious where corners were cut, and that's just off the top of my head.

26th - 28th: My Hero Academia 3 fares a little bit better then 2 and 1 because the first arc I actually quite like, the training camp is an interesting location, the new villains are neat and the way it has people getting separated and regrouping into different groups and things keep changing is always a fun structure for a show with a large cast to have. Also the insane amount deku destroys his body in this arc is fun to watch. However the second half in insanely slow and mostly uninteresting. Most of what happens is slow and pointless and it goes on for way too many episodes, we also get an episode with so little animation that majority of it is two people talking without any different shots to make it more watchable, we just look at two people talk.

There was a bunch of stuff I also started watching this month that aren't yet but I figured I should just wait till the end of a show to make a statement on it, as that was the case back when I made these as individual posts.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: August Report Card

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:30 am

Eira wrote:And their better be more, considering they set up plenty of plot points that didn't resolve by the end, like most of the season is building up to the culture festival and we haven't even seen it yet.
Agreed, it would be a criminal shame if Bloom Into You didn't get a continuation. It seems the anime was super popular, too, so hopefully, the view counts and physical sales will reflect that and make a 2nd season lucrative. I'd hate to see the immense potential of one of my favorite romance animes of all time fall to the wayside.

It's also interesting to hear an opposite opinion on My Hero Academia for once. I'm not interested in watching the show, so I don't care much either way, but the way many people have been treating it like the new Holy Grail of action shonen does make it look impressive.