What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:58 pm

fragoff wrote: I bet there is a lot of shows of the 70's and 80's that are classics i saw that not even half the people here ever watched or even know they exist.

#proudlytheminority

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Finished Gurren Lagann the other and holy crap I loved it. It breached my top 10 favorite anime. Start to finish it was a rollarcoaster. I laughed, I cried I was on the edge of my seat and when I didnt think it would get better, it would. And when I didnt think it could get more intense, it did. The fine details were there, it was thorough and well told.
Spoiler:
one thing I appreciated was whe. It was revealed the moon was a robot that could be used to fight against the Spiral race, I was wondering wheres the actual moon? Does this world not need it because its post apocalyptic? Then they revealed the moon was placed in another dimension. Then they could take the robot moon nce Simon took control of it, to the Anti Spiral dimension. That little detail made me happy.

Another one I appreciated is Nia was made from Anti spiral. Which means once Simon and team Dai Gurren wiped out the Anti Spiral that meant Nia could no longer exist. I found it bittersweet but a good detail. It's like loss is supposed to follow Simon where ever he went. He lost Kamina, and Nia. He was working towards a world that's better for the majority at his own expense. Was very saddening.

Overall a couple minor gripes, some things could have been better built up.
Spoiler:
To an extent the relationship between Kamina and Yoko. But I get it, she admired him for a few episodes and in more than a few moments I would see her giving Kamina to goo goo eyes. So I'm fine with that one. But the one that could have been better built up was Yoko and the guy who sacrificed himself to get rid of that dense spiral ocean In the anti spiral dimension. I get he took over for Kamina when Simon was incapacitated by his depression. He pushed the team forward when no one else was taking the wheel. Yoko saw that and appreciated him for it and they seemed to be taking a fancy to each other when Yoko returned to the group. And when they kissed it seemed he was the person who instigated it because for awhile he seemed to be eyeing her. Kinda like the opposite of the Yoko x Kamina situation. So again I get it but it felt kinda rushed, but his decision to self sacrifice was a last minute decision so, may as well lay tour feelings bare while you're still alive. So I get it.

Give or take those I love it. Some more character backgrounds would have been nice too, I would have loved to hear Yokos backstory but we got Kamina, Nia, Simon and Rossiu. Which is good. ROW ROW FIGHT THE POOOWWWAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

So to fill my void of needing more robots I'm either going to start my journey into Gundam with the original Mobile Suit Gundam, or Blue Comet SPT Layzner. I'm also eyeballing Getter Robo and a suggestion Koucurek gave me, Fang of the Sun Dougram. And also on the to be watched soon horizon is Gunbuster and Diebuster. I also gotta restart Rahxephon whenever I get the chance.

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Finished up the Tenrou Island arc of Fairy Tail. It was not a tournament arc like I thought it would be(much sadness) but that's ok because it was still frickin awesome. Best arc of the show so far. I'm looking forward to seeing where the show goes after that ending.
Spoiler:
Time skip y'all
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:15 pm

So I finished off The Ryous work is never done. Didn’t have as many naked Lolis as I though it would, and it was kinda alright. In fact the show actually ended up being half way decent and having a lot of inserting ideas and emotional moments, I just wish it did more of those good things. The good stuff is there but it’s too inconsistent, if that good stuff had been the majority of the show I would of absolutely loved it, in the end it’s just average but I’ll remeber it for being able to make me cry atleast once, at least it did that.

I also finished Lostorage conflated WIXOSS, just a seasonal show, I also took some time to update my seasonal vote picks thingy if anyone curious they can go see that in the appropriate thread. Overall I really liked WIXOSS as is usually the case, but as the show goes on the asspulls just keep on getting bigger and bigger and it’s geting insanely convoluted at this point, I don’t know in goes any further beyond this point but if it does then I don’t even know what to expect.

And with those done I finally started Little Witch Academia, yer I know I should of watched it ages ago but I was busy and also didn’t have Netflix for a long time. But I’m really liking it so far, it’s just a really fun show, each episod has a fun premise with fun characters and the animation is fun too. It just puts a smile on my face to watch it, really good.
Last edited by Eira on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:23 am

Eira wrote:
And with those done I finally started Little Witch Academia, yer I know I should of watched it ages ago but I was busy and also didn’t have Netflix for a long time. But I’m really liking it so far, it’s just a really fun show, each episod has a fun premise with fun characters and the animation is fun too. It just puts a smile on my face to watch it, really good.

Yup. It doesn't sell you anything but cute fun, and it does it well.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:46 am

After delaying if for far too long I wiped one position off my anime sins list. Tenkuu no Escaflowne also known under its English title Vision of Escaflowne is 1996 Sunrise isakai mecha show written by Shoji Kawamori.
I really like this show. Visually breathtaking with some astonishing backgrounds and very fluid animation. Music composed by Yoko Kanno not only fits art perfectly, but also is amazing on its own(seriously give Dance of Curse a listen). Mechs themselves look awesome and have pleasant air of mysticism about them...and titular mechine transforms into a dragon, which is cool in my book.
Story is well told outside of few plot points that were slightly more stretched out than I wanted them to be. But other than that it was a wild ride set in unique world.
I can't recommend Vision of Escaflowne enough, what an amazing show.

Kidou Senkan Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness aka Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness is a movie I have conflicting feelings about. I really liked the TV show despite that it started to loose me in second half.
Visually movie is gorgeous, one can see that some real talent and budget went into production.
Film starts with very strong premise. War ended 2 years ago and Nadesico crew has been demobilised. Most of the members returned to civilian lives and vessel itself is fulfilling the role of fast response with skeletal crew. In the meantime 2 main leads of TV series died in mysterious circumstances. Among all that new threat looms over the horizon. Unfortunately movie, because of its 1 hour 20 minutes runtime, never really can fully expand this setup. Film feels like plot of trilogy squeezed into one instalment. All of that is capped off with kind off sequel bait non ending ending.
So yeah, as much as I wanted to like this movie for the premise and visual prowess I just couldn't because of execution.

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:Kidou Senkan Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness aka Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness is a movie I have conflicting feelings about. I really liked the TV show despite that it started to loose me in second half.
Visually movie is gorgeous, one can see that some real talent and budget went into production.
Film starts with very strong premise. War ended 2 years ago and Nadesico crew has been demobilised. Most of the members returned to civilian lives and vessel itself is fulfilling the role of fast response with skeletal crew. In the meantime 2 main leads of TV series died in mysterious circumstances. Among all that new threat looms over the horizon. Unfortunately movie, because of its 1 hour 20 minutes runtime, never really can fully expand this setup. Film feels like plot of trilogy squeezed into one instalment. All of that is capped off with kind off sequel bait non ending ending.
So yeah, as much as I wanted to like this movie for the premise and visual prowess I just couldn't because of execution.

There was a Saturn Nadesico game that takes place inbetween the TV series and the movie. That's probably why you felt it seemed rushed.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:30 am

The Ancient Magus' Bride was a mixed bag for me. Overall, I liked the 1st half much better than the 2nd. The characterization of Chise was quite compelling in my mind. Elias seemed like a bit of a Mary Sue in the beginning, which made him less interesting, but that first impression was clearly proven false later on. The concept of a romantic relationship between these two seemed weird yet endearing at the same time.

I was surprised by the comedy style, including all of the chibi moments. I bet there were people out there who perceived it as annoying, but I approve of silly comedy to lighten the mood :>. Especially Elias' face in chibi form was priceless.

However, the 2nd half felt like it was tossing way too many new characters at my face. It might be my own failing as opposed to the anime's, but repeatedly had to take a step back and think "Wait, who was this guy/woman again?". Also, the more pronounced fantastical/magical elements naturally weren't my cup of tea. Joseph's backstory was nice, though, and raised his status as a believable villain in my book.

The standout drama moment of the show goes to Elias planning to make a rather cruel sacrifice in order to save Chise, and her reaction to it. Good stuff.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:06 am

Finally finished Cowboy Bebop. Because I was getting annoyed that Chris and Andrew always bring up a show I've never seen, on to Hare+Guu

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am

Started watching Fate/Apocrypha since it’s also something I downloaded off on Netflix and all these shows are taking up too much space in my IPad.

I also started the stuff that I’m watching this season like One Room S2 and Middle Managment Tonegawa, I might watch more stuff while it’s airing but for now it’s just these, there’s others I’m also hyped for but I might wait till there done to fully watch.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560