What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 am

I gave D-Frag! a rewatch. Because why the hell not? It's comedic insanity. Roka's moe and darkness forms are both equally hilarious, Tama's psychotic gaze is a tad disturbing, and Kenji simply knocks it out of the park in the straight man role. More than anything, though, I love how this short series has a bunch of amazing side characters (some of which appear only in a handful of scenes): Funabori is awesome, Mr. perfect teacher is awesome, the random father and dad are awesome... and let's not forget about 50/50 Fujisaki, the referee who managed to achieve perfect impartiality :D.

After that, I started working on my backlog (if you can call it that) by checking out Love Tyrant. I still have the final episode to go, which I'll finish later today. Overall, I'm leaning a little towards the "disappointed" side. The show has entertained me okay, but there are many leaps of logic and nothing that really cemented the anime as especially noteworthy for me. A character like Akane doesn't nearly have the depth to compete with some of the better yanderes out there. Guri is a blast and reminds me of The World God Only Knows's Elsie at every turn. Overall, though, the anime will probably enter my 'nice to have seen but soon to be forgotten' list.

Next up on my schedule is the recently concluded Hinamatsuri, followed by a rewatch of the Full Metal Panic! franchise in preparation to check out the new season.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
I Love Anime

Postby Eira » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:21 pm

So I added another show to my current airing shows that I’m watching and that’s Cells at Work it’s pretty good so far, I enjoy it, it’s about a topic I like and it’s a really fun interpration of it, also the cute Loli Platelets doing their best is too gao cute!

SethAmaha
Crazy About Anime

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:06 am

Finally finished Hare+Guu. I hate that the anime ended in such a cliffhanger and that it will undoubtedly never be finished. At least now I can focus on rewatching all of Index in preparation for Season 3. I'm excited to see if I notice anything I may have missed the first time around.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:30 am

Color me impressed - Hinamatsuri ended up being one amazing series. I'm not surprised that Andrew and Chris put it in the running for best anime of the season.

I was just a tiny bit concerned when watching the first two episodes; after hearing Hinamatsuri's comedy being so hyped up (specifically in an ANN article on episode 1), I didn't find it all that funny. But the end of episode 3 (Hina cleaning the house by herself) was the moment that sold me on the comedy, and I thought it was quite hilarious from then on - especially Hina consistently triggered big laughs :D.

In another area, though, the show reminded me of When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace: I was expecting a goofy comedy and instead found a show that has So. Much. Heart! Ironically, I didn't perceive it as very dramatic like our hosts mentioned in their podcast review - that's probably because I gravitate strongly to more intense drama series. But it did have its dramatic moments, as well as heaps of incredibly touching and heartwarming content.

And in no character arc was that clearer than in Anzu's. The anime aptly subverted my expectations by presenting her as the headstrong rival character when she first appeared; I never would've guessed she'd turn out the way she did. I was feeling and rooting for Anzu the entire way. Strongest 'arc' of the show with no doubt in my mind.

Even though I loved Anzu's development so much, I'm tempted to designate Hitomi as best girl. She was repeatedly dragged down into a pit by those around her, which was then milked for laughs. And those who know my stance on Watamote know that I generally despise schadenfreude-based comedy. However, Hitomi was a good girl through and through who always strived to persevere and be nice to others despite what was currently happening to her. That earned my admiration, for sure.
(That horrified expression with the twitching tongue, though... Urgh, gross :/. Could've done without that)

I thought I recognized the visible sheen on the character outlines - and true enough, it's another production by studio feel :). Between this and Tsukigakirei, if they keep up their game, they might become one of the few animation studios I actively look out for.

Edit: Oh, and I completely forgot to mention Mao. By the last episode, I was honestly a little ticked off at how a character who was given the same weight as Anzu in the opening animation basically had half an episode of screen time to her and then was never heard from again. Or so I thought - the epilog was another unconventional yet rewarding move they pulled with this series. I think I still would've preferred Mao to actually meet the others, but maybe it's better this way... Who knows.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:32 am

BlueSpark wrote:...this series. I think I still would've preferred Mao to actually meet the others, but maybe it's better this way... Who knows.

Or maybe we will be blessed with a second season? Even if this one closes up nicely enought.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:28 am

Yeah, there's definitely potential for a 2nd season, although I'm not sure I'd want one in this case. When Anzu appeared in episode 2, I was 'afraid' the series would involve the girls' home world more strongly; I'm overjoyed that it didn't and stuck to its slife-of-life core instead. If season 2 were to change this, I probably wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

But then again, I'm happy to let studio feel prove me wrong. Heck, even though Tsukigakirei concluded in an awesome manner, I wouldn't mind a fully fledged-out after story.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Ahhhhh lovely complex this anime is killing me. It is a very good romance, it makes me laught out loud sometimes (wich is a feat by itself), the music is very good and the art does the job.

Talking about art, i must admit that it was done very cleverly. One would assume, when caracters make those weird faces, that you are witnessing a downgrade in quality. But it is, in fact, very cleverly used to furter the meaning of a given scene.

Scenes that are well thought trought and worked out like they used to do in the golden ages of anime. You can see some real directing decisions in there.

And then we hit the plot. The oh so convoluted plot. The kinds i usually hate in romance...except not this time! Because here, lovely complex gives you a lesson on what is the difference betwen convolution for the sake of story and progress or for the sake of convolution itself.

Because during those 24 episodes, you laught, you cry, you enjoy everything of it because it carries you somewhere.
One of the best romantic comedy i ever saw!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Whiskeyjack19
Anime Junky

Postby Whiskeyjack19 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:23 pm

Finished the first season of Fairy Tail. Overall I liked it quite a bit. The fights started off kind of boring but improved a lot by the end. The humor and music were consistently good from start to finish and the cast is mostly enjoyable. I have one big problems with the show; there were several times I felt the story had painted the characters into a corner where someone had to die only for a deus ex machina to save the day.
Move like lightning, sound like thunder.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Whiskeyjack19

Eira
I Love Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am

Whiskeyjack19 wrote:I have one big problems with the show; there were several times I felt the story had painted the characters into a corner where someone had to die only for a deus ex machina to save the day.

Yerrrrrr, get use to that.

Eira
I Love Anime

Postby Eira » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:20 am

I finished Fate/Apocrypha it was actually really good, I enjoyed it a lot. I wanted to move on to last encore of whatever it’s called to make myself all caught up (freaking Netflix and their wait times) but I really should be finishing up little witch academia and some things from last season that I accidentally left in limbo. I still got the last episode of Gun Gale Online and then a few more for Comic Girls.