What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:55 am

So, Anonymous Noise finished streaming. For some reason, I'd hyped this show up a lot in my head - and that's without even realizing it was a shoujo. Well, turns out it didn't live up to my high expectations (which is my own gao fault).

Nino was fun and decently relatable. Mio was extremely likeable and completely deserved Yuzu. Yuzu himself was gao admirable in how much he held back just to make Nino happy. He deserved better than her, honestly (Dude, there's an amazing girl right there who has the hots for you...). Momo was simply a Clean-Clean-kun, and the few moments where the show tried to convince me otherwise just weren't enough. He could've at least told her "Look, I can't face you right now because I'm going through some tough times."

On that note, I wish we'd gotten more insight into what the heck was actually going on with Momo's family. Further insight into what exactly happened to Yuzu's father would've been nice, as well. Rounded out with a completely open ending, though, we instead get full-fledged manga bait (I'll assume the source is a manga, not 100% sure).

Overall, compared to other band music animes, Anonymous Noise didn't have the cute romance of Fuuka or the engaging drama and sometimes hilarious comedy of Nana. The music never did much of anything for me since I'm not into rock or related genres. Still, given my personal track record with shoujo romances, this one was at least average thanks to some earnest, touching and uplifting moments.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:02 am

Watched Flavors of Youth last night. I don't have much to say about it. It was OK, but not my cup of tea; the film reminded me a lot of Makoto Shinkai's earlier works, which I've never been fond of. The kind of movie that's oddly 'too slife-of-life' for me (same as studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday). The first of the 3 stories left the biggest impression on me, though that's not saying much. If you're someone who enjoyed 5 Centimeters Per Second, there's a good chance this could be a hit for you.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:50 am

For some reason, Hundred had made its way onto my to-watch list a while ago - I don't remember how. Either way, I tackled that over the last 2 days. It was pretty standard fair in the vein of Infinite Stratos and The Asterisk War (Some of the similarities were quite blatant). What else... Well, nothing, really. The show was mildly entertaining, but nothing that'll stick with me. I guess Sakura was very charming, so there's one good point, at least.

Anyway, I'm glad to leave this series behind me and get hyped up to rewatch planetarian, followed by the sequel movie, as my pre-ordered blu-ray arrived yesterday :).

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:43 am

This is starting to feel a bit like an echo chamber :P. Well, I hope someone finds these posts informative and/or occasionally funny.

The planetarian movie was quite interesting, certainly not what I expected. Not the flowery happy ending I'd hoped for, but it was sweet nonetheless. And probably more plausible given the world that the anime is set in. Interestingly, it sets up the stage for a possible sequel (although I strongly doubt that'll ever happen).

I'll tell you, though, getting that blu-ray to play was a b***h. The mere thought of region-locking drives me mad. Essentially, I'm getting punished by supporting American companies and paying extra for shipping and tax in the process. But that's a can of worms I'd better keep shut for now.

Anyway, I also watched Your Name again. It's been, what, 5 months since the last time? I need to step up my game. Soon, I might be able to recite all the characters' lines alongside them ;).

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:52 am

BlueSpark wrote:This is starting to feel a bit like an echo chamber :P. Well, I hope someone finds these posts informative and/or occasionally funny.

What matters is that you enjoy doing it. But you have way too much time on you hands to be able to watch all this ;)
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:34 am

fragoff wrote:What matters is that you enjoy doing it. But you have way too much time on you hands to be able to watch all this ;)
One of the perks of not being caught up in seasonal watching ;).

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:25 am

I finished Little Witch Aca and boi what a crazy ride that ending was, trigger seems to always make a show that makes me think “what a fun and crazy ride”. I felt the same way about Kill La Kill and despite this being a very different show I felt the same way and overall it’s just a good fun show that I really enjoyed. It made me smile and it also made me buy a Netflix subscription, so that’s my take away.

I always love what trigger does but I’ve heard that FranXX messed up the ending, I’m gonna watch it anyway tho and see what I think of it.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Eira wrote:I always love what trigger does but I’ve heard that FranXX messed up the ending, I’m gonna watch it anyway tho and see what I think of it.

The ending was just fine but it's more of the leadup to the ending that was a bit rocky.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 pm

Mys145 wrote:
Eira wrote:I always love what trigger does but I’ve heard that FranXX messed up the ending, I’m gonna watch it anyway tho and see what I think of it.

The ending was just fine but it's more of the leadup to the ending that was a bit rocky.

Yes, it is more accurate to say it like that. A sudden ex-machina plot twist that fell on us like a fly in the soup. But it is so fast, you almost won't feel the sting and can enjoy this very good anime till the good end.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:20 am

fragoff wrote:
Mys145 wrote:

Yes, it is more accurate to say it like that. A sudden ex-machina plot twist that fell on us like a fly in the soup. But it is so fast, you almost won't feel the sting and can enjoy this very good anime till the good end.

I can third that sentiment for you. Was very very good up to a point, episodes leading up to the ending are okay, but I feel it recovers quite nicely.