What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:33 am

A recommendation on Reddit led me to check out the brief series Mysteria Friends - or Manaria Friends, as the subtitles translate it. At just 10 episodes of 15 minutes each, this wasn't much of a time investment at all. Which is good, because the show didn't exactly do much to hold my interest. Highly episodic, set in a fantasy world - not exactly the best prerequisites given my taste.

Due to the very limited runtime, there was hardly any worldbuilding at all. The sole focus was on the yurilicious relationship between the two leads. While it didn't impress me (the way that, say, Bloom Into You did), it was at least cute to watch. I can't give the anime much more than that, however. On to the next one.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

GenXotaku1971
I Love Anime

Postby GenXotaku1971 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:32 pm

Currently nearly done with my re-watch of Neon Genesis Evangelion via Netflix. End of Evangelion will be the next thing I tackle. Everything else is on hold until I finish it, though I have been keeping up week to week with the dub of The Promised Neverland on Toonami thanks to my DVR.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:45 am

GenXotaku1971 wrote:Currently nearly done with my re-watch of Neon Genesis Evangelion via Netflix.

Are you just... back without any fanfare. I mean even if we consider that 1 2017 post to be you coming back it was still over 2 years ago. Also did you accidentally make a new account cause that other new account had your same pfp, I'm so confused.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Eira
Anime Junky

June Report Card

Postby Eira » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:39 am

June Report Card:
Gonna be doing it a bit different, I think this format suits this month better and should maybe suit them all better going forward. No sections for completed and started, just the date I started and ended if it exists. But they'll be organised based on when I finished so all stuff I'm in the middle of will go at the end and anything I got done in 1 day will only have a single date and not the same date twice, obviously.

2nd: I finally sat down and watched Summer Wars I've had it on DVD for over a year now and it had just sat around not being watched, but always in the back of my mind. I finally sat down and watched it and I really enjoyed it, it was really well animated, I loved it's style and of course it made me cry, no surprises there.

7th: So this doesn't really count but it also totally does. Shelter I'm only bringing it up cause it was such a big deal when it first came out. Yer it's super short and also free on youtube legally so I should of just watched it back then but I never did, I don't know why it came to mind but it did and I went and watched it and it is pretty good. It didn't make my cry but you make a cute loli be cute and then make her a cute teen and make her cry and I'm gonna feel sad, Music is also really nice.

6th - 8th: Another show I've had on DVD forever, I tried to watch it the year I bought it but it was a faulty copy. Once a year had gone by I went to the convention where I had bought it and explained my problem to the booth for the distributors, since I bought it at that same convention last year and didn't have a receipt I had to go about it this way. Turns out there was a batch of bad copies for this DVD, they hadn't recalled them before I bought mine and so the project manager offered to give me a new free copy and since I had to wait he upped it to the special edition. Still even after that it's been more then 1 year since getting the new copy.

So The Tatami Galaxy is really freaking good. I loved watching it and I think the last 2 episodes were some god gao incredible work. The show did end up touching on some sensitive stuff for me which I both loved and hated it for, but in the end I really enjoyed watching this and am so glad I was able to, a super big recommend, although I know some people don't like more unique styles of animation, but I personally love Masaaki Yuasa's work. It's fine if you don't, but at least don't call it bad or lazy like Seth once did, cause that's just wrong.

11th - 20th: Aggressive Retsuko specifically the netflix version, I did end up being behind for most of the show so there's not as much of my thoughts to go through over on the watch along thread but I feel like I said most of what I wanted to there. It's a really good show!

11th - 20th: And within that same time frame I also watched Psycho-Pass, been meaning to watch it for a long time now and finally got around to it. It's really freaking good, got good world building, good characters and pretty much just good everything. Like it really did hit it out of the park, really glad I finally watched it cause it was amazing.

21st: Back over in the watch along we went right into Aggressive Retsuko: We Wish You a Metal Christmas which I did on time, this was a nice little OVA. I say little but it was double the length of a normal episode. I really enjoyed it just like I had enjoyed the show and was happy with more content, even though Christmas is nowhere near us IRL. Was still a fun watch.

20th - 23rd: I only got this so done cause I was sick, Psycho-Pass 2 is not very good. Original Psycho Pass was much better and I know all the details behind the production and why season 2 came out so bad. But it's still a real shame that it had to happen and be this way. I've heard the movie is good and since we have season 3 coming in Fall hopefully it can be headed by the movie and season 1 people and thus we can actually get something good.

Also Fall 2019 is going to be sequel heaven with a Shinji ton of shows getting new seasons all at the same time. It's actually kinda crazy how many things have lined up like this. But it's because it has so many sequels that I've challanged myself to catch up with all of them in time to watch the new seasons. I was already up to date with Chihayafuru and SAO just cause I watched them already and now I'm caught up with Psycho-Pass (I'll watch the movie before season 3 too) and so next I watched

25th - Still Watching: The Seven Deadly Sins since that's also getting a sequel in Fall. So far though it's not very good. It's a lot more Fairy Tale then other shonen and I hate this kind of shonen. Dumb sidekick animal character who do nothing but make the same joke over and over annoy me so much, they're useless but he has to always tag along for fights and adventures even though he'd be safer and not get in the heroes way if he just stayed back. The generic hot chick is the same, she can't do anything, she can't fight and yet she also has to tag along with the hero into all these dangerous situations and the hero constantly has to stop fighting to run away and hide her somewhere and then he get's to fight a bit before she shows up again. In one episode he even says that he left her behind so she'll be safe, which is smart. but then she catches up and he just doesn't say anything and lets her come, it's so dumb. It's like they think the audience is dumb and will stop watching if there isn't a dumb joke or hot girl every 5 seconds. I hope the show gets better and also actually get some fights instead of just 'run away to save hot chick, then one hit and now you're so scared you run away.' Apparently one of these fights has happened but they cut away from it and just showed the end result, so thanks for that show. I totally needed to hear the pig complain about being told he's going to get eaten again.

Really hope it gets better.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: June Report Card

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:41 am

Eira wrote:I also watched Psycho-Pass, been meaning to watch it for a long time now and finally got around to it. It's really freaking good, got good world building, good characters and pretty much just good everything. Like it really did hit it out of the park, really glad I finally watched it cause it was amazing.
Glad we feel the same way on this one. I agree on the solid worldbuilding, plus it's got great atmosphere all around. And the setting of a futuristic police taskforce is something which you don't usually encounter in anime - I completely fell in love with it. I do have a thing for sci-fi stories in urban settings in general.

Eira wrote:Psycho-Pass 2 is not very good. Original Psycho Pass was much better and I know all the details behind the production and why season 2 came out so bad. But it's still a real shame that it had to happen and be this way.
And as expected, we're on completely opposite sides of the fence here :P. It's cool, though. I seem to be in the 1% minority of people who enjoyed this 2nd season about as much as the 1st. I thought seeing how Akane has grown into a confident leader was amazing, and then having her put under such heavy psychological stress - almost to her breaking point - was so intriguing to me.
I'm also not aware of anything going on behind the scenes of its production. Maybe it's for the better.

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: June Report Card

Postby Eira » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:17 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:Psycho-Pass 2 is not very good. I know all the details behind the production and why season 2 came out so bad. But it's still a real shame that it had to happen and be this way.

I seem to be in the 1% minority of people who enjoyed this 2nd season about as much as the 1st. I'm also not aware of anything going on behind the scenes of its production. Maybe it's for the better.

Well since you say it may be for the better I won’t give you all the details but just know that for the most part season 2 was done by different people in pretty much every single role, since the people who did season 1 were working on the movie at the same time. And the one person who was the same was stretched thin by having to work on both the movie and the 2nd season.

BlueSpark wrote:I thought seeing how Akane has grown into a confident leader was amazing, and then having her put under such heavy psychological stress - almost to her breaking point - was so intriguing to me.

Once again I’m reminded of the limitations of the own system I put myself under, haha. Kinda wish I had gone into detail about what I did and didn’t enjoy about the second season. The stuff mention was interesting enough, I suppose but I think everything from the first season was better and the majority of season 2 just doesn’t hold up even without a comparison, for me at least.

Now that my writing doesn’t have to go towards doing uni assignments while I’m on winter break, maybe I’ll actually get some more reviews done, I do think reviewing both psycho-pass seasons would be interesting.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:14 am

I spent a good portion of the past 2 weeks watching all 3 seasons of Overlord. Although it'd be more accurate to say that I 'semi-dropped' seasons 2 and 3. More on that later.

My main motivation in even giving this series any attention was so I'll be able to recognize all of its characters showing up in Isekai Quartet (since I've already seen the other 3 shows featured in it). Throughout season 1 of Overlord, I was at least decently engaged. The psychological element of Ainz having to get used to his new position and his tactical decision-making we pretty intriguing. And the obsessive displays of affection by both Albedo and Shalltear (best girl, by the way) never got old to me.

When season 2 rolled around, however, the focus jarringly shifted away from Ainz and his closest subordinates and started to include more and more... and more... and even more characters in different places. That's when I became completely disconnected from the anime. So for the remainder of the episodes, I just let them run in a smaller window while I played some Hearthstone or Dicey Dungeons. In the end, I didn't catch much of the story, but I couldn't bring myself to care. The only reason I didn't completely drop the show was so I could at least catch glimpses of any other important side characters popping up. Because who knows which of them will make it into Isekai Quartet, especially since (as I believe I've read) a 2nd season is already in the works.

Then, over the weekend, I watched Absolute Duo. I knew exactly what was waiting for me (another show in the line of Infinite Stratos or The Asterisk War), and that's precisely what I got. A decent bit of fun, Yulie was cute as heck, although I slightly preferred Lilith as the show's best girl. As usual for this kind of series, I didn't think much of the plot. Overall a forgettable anime for me, but it was mostly enjoyable while it lasted.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 am

The Promised Neverland completely flew under my radar when it finished airing – and it really shouldn't have. I like me a good thriller, and this one delivered handsomely. The first episode offered an incredibly strong hook. I loved the whole setup of a group of child prodigies pitted against an oppressive force in a dystopian world. Mind games galore. They way they all rallied behind the enemy's backs and made their big preparations was amazing.

I was just a tiny bit disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the world beyond the confines of what the series decided to show us. But I can't really hold it against the anime; it set its priorities differently, and the end result was very satisfying regardless.

The only choice I absolutely cannot agree with is how they put in a flashback of a certain character at the end of episode 12 to try and humanize them. Not only did the scene not achieve that goal for me, but worse, it completely took away the steam the series had built during its adrenaline-pumping finale. Inserting this calm flashback caused the following, final minutes of the episode to just peter out in an unfortunate manner instead of putting an enthusiastic exclamation point to the story.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 am

I finished up KuroMukoro yesterday. Honestly, I have no clue where I even picked up a recommendation for this one, seeing how I'm not a mecha person. But ever since Darling in the FranXX happened, I feel much more inclined to give this genre the benefit of the doubt.

The show was, overall, decently enjoyable. I didn't feel a very strong connection to most of the characters, and as usual, the battle scenes frequently left me yawning. But the story was just interesting enough to keep me curious. Also, the fish-out-of-water element, which already worked wonders for me in Gargantia, contributed on the positive side. Plus I found it quite significant that this mecha show had a female protagonist. I believe this is the first time I've ever seen this in an anime, and I appreciated it.

At 3 episodes left, I was scratching my head about how they were going to end the series. But the stopping point made sense, so no gripes there. And, it even needs to be said, Sophie was best girl. Level-headed, valiant, and overall a great person to confide in (as Zel realized, too).

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:21 am

For the last 3 days, I rewatched Recovery of an MMO Junkie. Just a great feel-good show, and I still think Moriko is an outstanding protagonist. Quite literally – a 30-year-old woman as the lead character is bound to stand out in the realm of anime ;). But she's also very likeable and relatable to those of us who are of an introverted nature. The first half of the OVA episode is pure adorbs overload :>.

Also, I watched the recently dubbed How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno bit by bit over the past week. Most of you might know that I don't typically watch animes like this (I tend to stick to binging), but this is definitely a show which lends itself to occasional viewing. What can I say about it? It's ecchi humor in its rawest form and not much else. I like the character designs, and I'm especially fond of Tanaka's sisters, who remind me of Araragi's sisters in the Monogatari franchise (even though I've only watched Bake, where they have, like, a minute of screen time at best). It's fun for what it is.

Oh, and since Andrew and Chris were wondering in their podcast episode – yes, I absolutely think that Hilary Haag knocked her role as Ueno out of the park. The way she fires off this girl's outrageous lines with energy and confidence is remarkable.