What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:02 am

Turns out I haven't posted my own exploits on this thread for a while. I watched Parasyte: The Maxim by recommendation of a colleague at work. It turned out to be a very solid thriller - I enjoyed the show a lot. Mixed with the moral and philosophical questions it brought up, it was an intriguing watch all the way through. I liked the development of the comradery between Shinichi and Migi, as well as some of the more emotional moments (That one background track, which was admittedly repeated quite often, was amazing at setting the mood during those scenes). Parasyte doesn't quite reach the level of Steins;Gate or Psycho-Pass for me, but it's definitely an anime I'll be looking to add to my physical collection.

And then I let all my worries float away as I immersed myself in The Helpful Fox Senko-san. This show is the metaphorical and physical definition of "fluff": It's simple to a minimalistic degree, but it's effective at warming the viewer's heart. I'd heard before that some people regarded certain scenes in the series as cringy, and I kind of see where they're coming from. I didn't have a problem with any of that, though. It was an enjoyable watch, but I tend not to gravitate towards iyashikei-type animes, and this is no exception. Probably not a show I'll remember for too long.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:52 am

For the perhaps 3-4 people still reading these posts, you'll have noticed that I haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks again. The main reason being that Borderlands 3 launched on the 13th, and I've been living and breathing that game. But also, I'm slowly starting to figure that there isn't too much point to it if the only other person occasionally contributing anything is Eira. However, I do want to continue creating posts for shows that I feel very strongly about, just in case someone stumbles into this thread and perhaps takes an interest in said anime.

So, on the weekend, I watched the recently dubbed Domestic Girlfriend. The short version is: This series is pretty much exactly what I expected, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. What I will concede is that a lot of the setup and events feel pretty contrived. But I figure this is more or less par for the course for many drama animes. My suspension of disbelief can handle stuff like this, no sweat, and it helped create some of the most juicy/exciting drama moments.

Overall, Domestic Girlfriend gave me a lot of Scum's Wish vibes. I think the parallels should be obvious to anyone who has seen both. However, Domestic Girlfriend wasn't quite as 'condensed': There were still some fluff scenes and an underlying slice-of-life air about it, and I liked the comedic moments a lot more than in Scum's Wish - they didn't seem to contradict the tone of the show. This made the feel of the series a bit less heavy, which I think worked quite well in its own way.

The open ending, surprisingly, didn't really bother me much. I can't quite pinpoint why that is. Instead of making me irate (like the ending of Haganai 2), it made me feel more like The Quintessential Quintuplets did (before its 2nd season was announced): I was bummed out that it ended and hoped that we'd get a sequel someday, but in the end, I was happy with what I got. Maybe I've just gotten more used to animes being open-ended over the years.

And finally, I can't go without mentioning that I'm firmly on team Rui. To be fair, the two other 'main' girls were quickly turned into afterthoughts by the series. I respect this decision - the focus was where it needed to be. Plus I'll say that I found all 4 main female characters very likeable. But still, my preference is clear. Because when the usually stone-faced Rui looks at you like this, how are you going to stop your heart from melting :oops:?

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:46 am

BlueSpark wrote:For the perhaps 3-4 people still reading these posts.

I’ll say that I am reading these, I just don’t respond unless I have something to say and for a while now you’ve been watching shows I haven’t seen myself. Either way I’ll have my report card for September up soon and you’ve usually seen at least something that I have when it covers an entire month so maybe we’ll have something to say then.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

Eira
Anime Junky

September Report Card

Postby Eira » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:22 am

September Report Card:

4th: I finally got around the the Psycho-Pass Movie after finishing the two seasons awhile ago. Was pretty good which does confirm that season 2 was only bad due to the staff and studio changes, since the movie was done by the ordinals from season 1. Just a really solid action movie that expands on the world in a great way, getting to see the world outside of japan after japan has the siybl system sure is interesting, as well as us getting to see what japan may of been like when it tries to implement the system via this other country trying to do the same thing, it's more logical world building. I still have mixed feelings about how 3 will be, no Urobuchi may cause a problem, but at least the director is the same as 1 and the movie.

10th: Headed out and saw Weathering With You, as I said somewhere else Australia is awesome with how long it keeps movies in cienams and yer this one had a good normal run and I really enjoyed seeing it that way and with a friend. It's easily better then 'Your Name' but I'm one of the people who really finds the issues with that more glaring then most. It's still not Makoto Shinkai's best work IMO, but it's gao high up there. I could see it becoming my favorite with time, either way a great film, I fully recommend.

August 29th - September 16th: Food Wars is kinda boring, I'm not gonna lie. The cooking scenes are tense and seeing how people plan out a dish and having them explain it is all really well done, makes me wanna cook too even though I'm not nearly as good as these people. However the reactions and people talking about how good a dish is can drain on for way too long and is pretty boring IMO. I kept getting bored and would need to stop after 1 or 2 episodes, was pretty rare I'd watch more then that in a single sitting cause I'd just start falling asleep, literally. Maybe the next seasons handle this better but I'm hesitant to check, I do really like the characters tho so I want it to be better.

18th: High Score Girl is a god gao master piece, I don't care what anyone says, this show is freaking amazing. Yes the style is a little odd and the animation makes use of CG but it's a gao good story with really good characters. Plus the fact that it can use the name of real video games and use game play from them is great, it always feels silly when you need to use some copyright safe name, the classic 'WcDonalds' senario would of sucked here. I watching it all in one sitting cause it was god gao great! I loved pretty much every moment of it and can't wait for season 2.

18th: for some reason the last 3 episode are part of High Score Girl: Extra Stage even though it picks up right where the last episode left off, which was also a cliffhanger by the way. Plus this is a netflix show so what made the last 3 episodes get this different listing on MAL when netflix doesn't even seperate them. Very weird but yer, just take what I said about the whole show cause this counts as part of that.
out of hand and usually end up meaning nothing, I get why writers want to do it, I want to do it when I write, but it's such a bad idea. I'm looking forward to next season in fall but I'm worried about the future of this.

27th: And lastly Mob Psycho 100: The Spirits and Such Consultation Office's First Company Outing - A Healing Trip That Warms the Heart is a Mob Psycho 100 OVA that just came out and it was pretty good, typical stuff really, this could of easily been an early in the season episodic episode but it get's to be it's own OVA. It's also a really good episode for Serizawa and fully bringing him into the main group, plus Reigans gradual break down is insanely fun to watch, as well as the comedy of errors that continue to surround him.

New season starts soon and I'm clearly not gonna watch everything that has a sequel in Fall on time. Still gonna do as much as I can, I also started Radiant but it sucks so far.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:50 am

While we obviously have very different opinions on Psycho-Pass 2, I agree that the movie offered some great worldbuilding. What I'd assume is even more important for a lot of fans is the fact that
Spoiler:
Kogami returns. He was referenced in season 2 despite being completely absent, so I'm sure a lot of viewers were very excited to see him make a comeback.
I'm also hyped to see what season 3 brings. I hear it's going to feature a completely new cast of characters. On the one hand, that's quite a shame since I love Akane and her development through both seasons and the film. But on the other, it might bring some fresh wind into the intriguing universe of Psycho-Pass.

I wonder if, as a huge fan of Your Name, I'm going to enjoy Weathering With You. If the movie harkens back more to the style of Shinkai's older works, like 5 cm or Place Promised, it might be a letdown for me (similarly to how I felt about Mamoru Hosoda's Mirai). But I'm optimistic for now.

It's nice to know that you enjoyed Hi-Score Girl this much. The show is set right in the midst of my favorite genres, so I'm excited to check it out - but I'll probably contain my excitement and wait for the 2nd season before giving it a go. Or maybe I'll cave and watch season 1 on its own; it's pretty short, after all.

Eira
Anime Junky

Re: September Report Card

Postby Eira » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:49 pm

BlueSpark wrote:I agree that the [Psycho-Pass] movie offered some great worldbuilding. What I'd assume is even more important for a lot of fans is the fact that
Spoiler:
Kogami returns. […] I'm sure a lot of viewers were very excited to see him make a comeback.

Spoiler:
i have to agree to, Kagami is a great character and I really missed him during season 2, another reason the movie was really good.

BlueSpark wrote:I'm also hyped to see what season 3 brings. I hear it's going to feature a completely new cast of characters. On the one hand, that's quite a shame since I love Akane and her development through both seasons and the film. But on the other, it might bring some fresh wind into the intriguing universe of Psycho-Pass.

Makes sense, the writers have talked in the past about how the story lacks flexibility. The world has such defines rules that can’t be broken that it makes it hard to find new stories to write about it. (I assume that’s why they left japan for the movie) so maybe a cast change was needed to help spice it up but tbh if that’s true, I’m going to be very disappointed. I love Akane, she’s one of my favourite characters in anime. Plus she works so well as a protagonist since
Spoiler:
she knows the true nature of the sibyl system and talks and work with it to try and make the world a better place while understanding the important e of the system. She works cause she helps the corrupt ruling system to become better without destroying it, it’s a super interesting take and if the new protagonist isn’t someone who works so closely with the system that’s gonna feel like we’re going backwards.

BlueSpark wrote:I wonder if, as a huge fan of Your Name, I'm going to enjoy Weathering With You. If the movie harkens back more to the style of Shinkai's older works, like 5 cm or Place Promised, it might be a letdown for me (similarly to how I felt about Mamoru Hosoda's Mirai). But I'm optimistic for now.

Oh don’t worry, it’s not like that. It’s much more closer to Your Name then his older works. I just enjoyed it a lot more becuase it bascially is likethe “new” Makoto shinkai, but it just doesn’t have as many issues or problems as Your Name, in many ways but obviously I don’t want to spoil it, I think you’ll at the very least really enjoy it. “Weather” you like it more then Your Name I can’t say.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:02 am

Right, Akane is definitely in a unique position due to what you described. It was neat to see how she completely defied the system's expectations at the end of season 1. I'm wondering, though: Since you like her so much as a protagonist, don't you think she had really strong development in the 2nd season? That was the main draw of Psycho-Pass 2 for me. To see her in a leadership position, and then to see her put under intense distress in a deliberate attempt to make her 'snap'.

Eira wrote:It’s much more closer to Your Name then his older works.
Well, that's good to hear :). I'm very much looking forward to being able to check it out (whenever the blu-ray gets released).

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:01 am

BlueSpark wrote:Right, Akane is definitely in a unique position due to what you described. It was neat to see how she completely defied the system's expectations at the end of season 1. I'm wondering, though: Since you like her so much as a protagonist, don't you think she had really strong development in the 2nd season? That was the main draw of Psycho-Pass 2 for me. To see her in a leadership position, and then to see her put under intense distress in a deliberate attempt to make her 'snap'.

I did like some of it. overall she did have good development in the second season, for the most part I like how they handled her. A lot of the cast that remains from season 1 I don't really have a problem with. It's just the new characters (Including the new villain), the situations, overall writing quality, and animation all took a huge dip. That's just off the top of my head, there's a just a whole lot of stuff season 2 does that I don't enjoy.

Apparently Akane, Yayoi, Ginoza, and even kougami are going to be in season 3 but only as supporting roles, which is disappointing if true. I say 'if true' cause the site that says this (MAL) also has Hinakawa as supporting but he's on the cover, so hopefully they'll have promanent roles, even if they're not on the cover or the protagonists.

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:10 am

Three shows this time for me. Glad I saw them, better late than never.

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku

I liked the show's premise, (as unrealistic as it is to find 3 like minded co-workers, at least in my neck of the woods). I especially liked that was four adults in somewhat mature relationships (Koyanagi and Kabakura FTW) who show the mediocrity of romance isn't as awful as it seems. Passionate and dramatic scenes are exciting but the quiet everyday moments in between are just as poignant.

After The Rain

A sleeper hit in the random picks lately. The story of a 17 year high school and a middle aged man in his forties at a crossroads in life who meet and change each other's lives for the better. This could have gone wrong as its OP depicts a romance between the two but it is so much more nuanced.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai

Supernatural rom-com with hints of quantum mechanics. This was so good for a pseudo harem show. Protag saves the heroines but with the caveat that he already found his love and they stick together as a couple throughout the season (Azusagawa and Sakurajima FTW). It actually is helpful that they have each other's back and their relationship is really well done (the banter was top notch). The ending story arc really clinches it for me. I need to see the movie to get my resolution.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:26 am

JackTWD4th wrote:This could have gone wrong as its OP depicts a romance between the two but it is so much more nuanced.
Not going to lie, I was very interested in this one because it looks like a forbidden romance at first glance :P. But even if their relationship isn't strictly romantic, it still sounds like an intriguing watch. But alas, the show is held by Amazon with no dub in sight.

Bunny-Girl Senpai seems like one of those big surprise hits that I'm quite interested to see. Aniplex being Aniplex, they actually announced the subtitled blu-ray release on Twitter, but deleted their tweet after an absolute Shinji of fans demanding a dubbed version. So there's some hope yet; but even if Aniplex decides not to localize it after all, the show is also coming out in German, so I'll get to watch it either way, eventually :).

After hearing its English dub being praised a lot, I checked out The Devil Is a Part-Timer! over the past couple of days. From what I'd heard about the show before, I was expecting an absurd comedy. But that's only half of what this anime is - the other half is a serious story involving characters from a fantasy world being dragged into our real world. And to be blunt, I didn't enjoy the plot threads of all these different people crossing the dimensional realm.

I loved the first 4 episodes, which focused on the devil, his servant, and the hero trying to settle into their new life on earth. The comedy was not the most brilliant I've ever seen, but very entertaining. Chiho was utterly adorable (yet she grew a bit obnoxious later on with her exaggerated hits of jealousy), and seeing Emi pissed off was good for many laughs. After that, the appearance of the other characters and the inclusion of intrigue and political schemes only served to detract from all the fun in my opinion. Not to mention that I didn't care for the action scenes (because I hardly ever do).

Unfortunately, this led to a somewhat mediorce show at the end, at least for me. Not an anime I'll likely revisit.