What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:21 am

I'd been looking forward quite a bit to Hensuki: Are You Willing to Fall in Love With a Pervert, as Long as She's a Cutie?. This week, I checked it out. And man, was there fun to be had. I confirmed once more that unashamed ecchi comedies are the best ecchi comedies because they can crank up the craziness to ridiculous levels. So many salacious moments, and straight-man Keiki's monolog and dialog in response to all these outrageous scenarios were priceless.

I did have to shift my expectations a bit during the early episodes because I thought I might get to see at least some core of realism and relatability in the plot. Oh boy, how wrong I was. There's no way to take Hensuki seriously in any capacity. Once I realized that, I just sat back, enjoyed the ride, and laughed my pants off (Wait, did I make that sound weird?).

I was a bit bummed out that my favorite girl, Miss Sniffypants, was only really featured in one and a half episodes. Perhaps it was because her hairstyle reminded me of Rem from Re:ZERO (and, to a lesser extent, of Kurumi from Date a Live) that I found her highly adorable.

However, as recompense, I got the final story arc. And oh man, did I not expect this series to go there. Now, most of you will know that what went down for the series' finale will not get any objections from me, since I love seeing that kind of stuff. It did cause a weird break in the tone of the anime, skirting along the edge of serious drama territory. But hey, she was my 2nd favorite girl, so overall, I'm quite glad with the story progression. Of course, the ending is left completely open, but that's within the realm of expectations for this type of show.

Bottom line: Good times. Good, perverted times. Yikes. That sounds kind of bad. In a good way.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:42 am

After going for a couple of rewatches lately and trying Flip Flappers, which I dropped after 3 episodes, I checked out A Certain Scientific Accelerator. I can say it wasn't the same kind of disappointment that Index's 3rd season was, but overall, I wasn't too thrilled about this spin-off. I guess part of the reason stems from the fact that I never liked Accelerator much as a character. The overpowered nature of his abilities just rubs me the wrong way.

I did enjoy the story for the first couple of episodes. It seemed to emulate the storytelling style of Railgun, which I like a lot: A couple of ostensibly separate story arcs which then turn out to be interconnected. However, starting from the middle of the series, the plot basically trudged forward on a single set of rails. And what's worse is that the focus was on magic usage as opposed to science / esper powers, as the title of the anime would lead you to believe. One of the several reasons I highly prefer Railgun over Index is because the science angle holds much more intrigue for me than the magic one.

In the end, Accelerator kept me mildly interested (not least thanks to Misaka-Misaka serving as delightful comic relief), but that's about all I can say for the show.

Kizito
I Like Anime

Postby Kizito » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:21 pm

After a two day binge watching session I have finally worked my way through chihayafuru just in time for season 3. I can't believe it's took me this long to watch it because it was brilliant all the way through, especially the music used to portray the mood and feelings of the characters as the story develops.
Would anybody here recommend the manga for this series or should I just stop being so needy and wait for the anime to reach a conclusion?

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:14 am

Kizito wrote:After a two day binge watching session I have finally worked my way through chihayafuru just in time for season 3.

I love Chihayafuru so much, I watched the entire series in like a week a few years ago, which was both seasons. I just instantly fell in love with it hard.
Kizito wrote:Would anybody here recommend the manga for this series?

I was also tempted to go read the manga, during the dark days of not knowing if a season 3 was going to happen. A friend of mine didn’t wait and ended up reading it, but I obviously didn’t let him tell me anything about it for spoiler reasons. Overall I’d recommend at least waiting for season 3 to end since it’s here but in the end I think it just comes down to what you like more.

If you think you’ll enjoy the anime more than the manga then it’s probs best to wait, but I feel you enjoy manga more or don’t think knowing what will happen will make you enjoy an anime less then you should go ahead and read it, since the story is obviously good regardless of what way you consume it.

I tend to be an anime first kinda guy, but that’s mainly cause I always read / watch legally and reading manga legally is expensive.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:27 am

I've been waiting to get into Chihayafuru for... probably 4-5 years now. When I first heard about it (which consisted of heavy praise), I noted it down on my to-watch list. A while later, I learned that a 2nd season was being released. So I waited, and the show fell off my radar. Then I heard about season 3 and thought "Oh yeah, I meant to check this anime out... Well, I guess I'll wait for the dub and watch all 3 seasons in one go." So here I am, still waiting. I hope it'll be worth it ;).

Right now, I'm rewatching Koi Kaze. It's been forever since I saw it. The anime is from 2005 and feels like the kind of older series I don't usually get into, but the story on display here makes it all worth it. At least if you're a fan of taboo romances like me. Koi Kaze has made even vocal opponents of sibling romance in anime admit that it treats its subject manner in an incredibly sensible and tasteful way.

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:29 am

BlueSpark wrote:After going for a couple of rewatches lately and trying Flip Flappers, which I dropped after 3 episodes, I checked out A Certain Scientific Accelerator ..

What was the deal with Flip Flappers? It's on my never-ending queue list.

The Accelerator spinoff was better than Index 3 in that the plot was much better paced for non-Index fans. Even as a certain universe fan I found Index 3 was lacking in depth because they sped through story arcs. I feel Railgun is purely Science side stories while Accelerator was 75% Science/25% Magic. Probably better to say how the Science side characters interact with magic without knowing it. Looking forward to S2 for Accelerator, I want to see how they keep working around his OP nature.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 am

I don't know, It felt to me like magic had a bigger share than a quarter compared to the science element in Accelerator, more like 50%. But perhaps that's just me. I fully agree, however, that the spin-off had a well-paced plot. As I mentioned in my previous post, some of it (particularly the early episodes) reminded me of Railgun's storytelling approach. And Railgun's story always managed to keep me on the edge of my seat, so that counts as high praise.

As for Flip Flappers, I basically felt it was a show targeted at younger kids that I just couldn't get much out of. Also, I'm generally not a fan of traditional, light-hearted magical-girl series. A magical girl anime would need to have a very strong hook of some kind to catch my interest, and I didn't see that in Flip Flappers. Lastly, episodes 2 and 3 gave me the impression that it was probably going to be an episodic tale. And episodic animes outside the realm of comedy rarely work very well for me.
It's a bit of a shame since the two leads are played by Luci Christian and Brittney Karbowski, two amazing voice actresses I love listen to. But I don't think their performances alone would've redeemed the show for me.

Kizito
I Like Anime

Postby Kizito » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Eira wrote:
Kizito wrote:After a two day binge watching session I have finally worked my way through chihayafuru just in time for season 3.

I love Chihayafuru so much, I watched the entire series in like a week a few years ago, which was both seasons. I just instantly fell in love with it hard.
Kizito wrote:Would anybody here recommend the manga for this series?

I was also tempted to go read the manga, during the dark days of not knowing if a season 3 was going to happen. A friend of mine didn’t wait and ended up reading it, but I obviously didn’t let him tell me anything about it for spoiler reasons. Overall I’d recommend at least waiting for season 3 to end since it’s here but in the end I think it just comes down to what you like more.

If you think you’ll enjoy the anime more than the manga then it’s probs best to wait, but I feel you enjoy manga more or don’t think knowing what will happen will make you enjoy an anime less then you should go ahead and read it, since the story is obviously good regardless of what way you consume it.

I tend to be an anime first kinda guy, but that’s mainly cause I always read / watch legally and reading manga legally is expensive.

I'm more of an anime first kind of guy myself so I'll definitely wait until season 3 is over before I decide what to do about reading the manga.
I haven't been collecting manga that long but I totally agree that it is expensive.

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:03 am

BlueSpark wrote:Well, I guess I'll wait for the [Chihayafuru] dub and watch all 3 seasons in one go. So here I am, still waiting. I hope it'll be worth it.

most of the time for shows I like I always say to you 'I hope you like it' but with this one I'm almost sure that you'll like it simply because I've never heard anyone not like it. Everyone I've seen mention it has always liked it and enjoyed watching it and by quite a bit.

It really is a fantastic show, I'm curious to see what you think of it either way.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 am

After finishing Cross Ange: Rondo of Angel and Dragon, I totally get why our hosts feel so conflicted about this show :P. It goes absolutely nuts on the nudity and ecchi bits - I've never seen an anime crammed with so many face-meets-crotch moments before (I do acknowledge that Cross Ange deliberately made it into a running gag, and I kind of enjoyed it for that fact). The package includes a whole lot of lesbian action, of course. Eh... As usual, it's the kind of erotic content I just tend to look past. Most of it could've gotten scratched and the show would've been just fine.

However, especially the one rapey scene early on was pretty crucial to setting the tone of the story going forward. I loved Ange's character change from spoiled princess to stone-cold badass; what would've made it even better was if they'd been able to make this development it even remotely believable and somewhat fleshed out. Instead, it feels like it just happens overnight. That was a very unfortunate blemish on Ange's otherwise excellent character arc.

Despite this misgiving, Ange clearly carried the series for me. I did like some of the other Norma, though. Early on, I thought Hilda to be despicable beyond repair, but the story summarily redeemed her. Her experience on her brief visit back home hit me super hard and made me tear up quite a bit, and her later actions regarding Ange were more than respectable, as well. I similarly enjoyed Chris's character arc late in the story - she was the one Norma with the most believable motivation to switch sides like she did.

The story overall, I felt, was standard fare - nothing too great, but not horrible, either. Something I loved about Cross Ange, however, were the episode previews, taking place entirely beyond the 4th wall. I had a lot of good laughs with those.