What anime are you watching?

Current and Classic Animation!
Eira
I Bleed Anime

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Eira » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:01 am

BlueSpark wrote:I finally got to watch I Want to Eat Your Pancreas this weekend.

I pretty much 100% agree with everything you said about the movie, my feelings exactly. I saw it quite awhile ago in cinemas so I must of mentioned it in a post somewhere on here but yer, I very much enjoyed it for all the same reasons you gave and even feel the same way about the characters.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:14 am

I watched the final episode of Assassination Classroom yesterday. It was quite a ride. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Koro-sensei was an entertaining and inspiring character to behold, and class 3-E as a whole quickly grew on me. The show didn't manage to give all of the students a distinct profile, but that was more or less to be expected. Very few animes even dare to include an entire class in their cast of characters (Negima and School Rumble come to mind). Also as I hinted at before, the comedy was rock-solid, too.

For all intents and purposes, I shouldn't have liked this anime: A large part of it was episodic (occasionally incorporating 2-episode arcs), there were supernatural creatures, and it was an action-heavy shonen series. But it's one of those cases like Darling in the FranXX and Astra Lost in Space where the parts about it that I loved easily overshadowed the parts that weren't quite to my taste.

The element of spy/battlefield tactics was also a treat for me, particularly the final third or so of the 2nd season. The ending was absolutely moving, followed by a very welcome 24-minute epilog. And man, seeing Nagisa's killer instinct in action had me on the edge of my seat every time (and, while probably a strange comparison, reminded me of Kyoko in Skip Beat!).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am

I don’t put dropped shows in my report card so I’ll just mention that I dropped Assassins Pride 7 episodes in, I was for some reason able to make it this far and tbh if I tried I could of finished it, it’s not like it hurt too much to watch it. But I could also use that time to watch a good show that I actually enjoy so I’d rather do that and I just really really didn’t feel like watching more of it. So I kinda let it sit in my watching for awhile but today decided to drop it, it’s just not good enough for me to justify finishing off, I’ve seen enough.

For more thought out reasons you can consulate the assassins pride thread in seasonal discussions.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:07 am

The most recent entry on my watchlist was Hanebado!. I remember that our podcast hosts weren't very fond of the series, but for some reason, I was interested enough to check it out, regardless.

The overall experience was somewhat mediocre. No doubt about it, the animation of the badminton scenes was, for the most part, very fluid and nice to look at. But that's not something I value too highly in an anime.

The characters were a weird bunch. Ayano was too bipolar to be believable. Both twintailed antagonists came across as massive b*****s, with Connie later turning a new leaf out of the blue and completely reversing her personality. Nagisa was annoying in the beginning, but I thought her development was well done, at least. The other characters didn't really contribute much.

The final match of the show is the only one that actually got me excited. The others before it were usually too one-sided or otherwise not very thrilling to watch. The resolution of the protagonist's main conflict (involving her mother) turned out to be a letdown, too.

Despite all of the above, I don't feel I wasted my time watching Hanebado!. It was OK from an entertainment standpoint. It's just that I don't see myself thinking back on it much in the future.

Now I'm going to watch Golden Time, which has finally been dubbed in December. And after that, it's probably time to get started on some fall season shows - most of the simuldubs are just about wrapping up.

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:52 am

BlueSpark wrote:Now I'm going to watch Golden Time, which has finally been dubbed in December. And after that, it's probably time to get started on some fall season shows - most of the simuldubs are just about wrapping up.

oh my god you haven't seen Golden Time yet. That took its sweet time getting a dub good lord it's been a long time. I personally love it and back when I first watched it it actually made it onto my top 10 and was able to stay in there for a decent while. I have it on DVD and have watched it all the way though like 3 or 4 times. Interested on how you end up feeling about it.

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 am

Yeah, it's one of a number of older shows Sentai Filmworks has been dubbing recently. They've really made a shining impression on the dubbed-anime community during the last half-year or so, what with producing localizations for Scum's Wish, SNAFU, To Love-Ru, etc. in addition to newer series like Domestic Girlfriend and O Maidens.

Eira wrote:Interested on how you end up feeling about it.
Since it's a Mari Okada story and has frequently been compared to Toradora!, watching it was a no-brainer for me. I actually already saw episodes 1-4 last night, and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. Initially, it seemed that Tanri's newfound buddy would play a major role, but by now, he already looks more like a side character. Which is fine by me. I'm curious to find out more about Koko and how her relationship with Banri (He just confessed to her) will pan out.

Eira
I Bleed Anime

January Report Card

Postby Eira » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 am

January Report Card:

My first report card of 2020, I actually watched quite a bit this month, more than usual for me.

Nov 11th 2019 - Jan 2nd 2020: Seasonal stuff wrapped up and first one that I got done was Fire Force and it was really really good, it actually surprised me how good it was. I really enjoyed it and even had it high up on my best of the year list, really glad I took the time to go and catch up to this since I only started watching it when it was already halfway done. Just got better and better as it went with really good animation and an art style I feel in love with. Overall just a really good show and I can't wait to see more, also Tamaki is best girl!

Oct 5th 2019 - Jan 23rd 2020: To be honest I took too long to get this done. Null Peta surprised me with what it ended up being. The first few episodes while nice were a bit boring and left a lot to be desired but once the show started to get more crazy and out there with what it was doing it got a lot more interesting. The plot twist at the end is a plot twist but it's one that's way too predictable and honestly kinda left me disappointed. The foreshadowing was good but I think they were banking on this twist way too much since I was actually expecting it to be bigger or more interesting then it ended up being, especially since we still have unanswered questions and if they were answered it would be real interesting regardless of the reason, but the thing I'm talking about just seemed to have been abandoned.

Nov 20th 2019 - Jan 23rd 2020: As I said when I finished Index I did move on to watch A Certain Scientific Railgun too. Started off pretty boring but got better as it went, the early episodic episodes are mostly boring but once it actually starts getting into arcs it's a lot more interesting and I ended up really enjoy it even if there's a lot of issues with it. It's not perfect at all and it's super easy to pick holes in it and point out how silly it is but its world is super interesting and honestly it does enough right that I enjoyed to keep watching, I'll probably watch more eventually but since I didn't catch up in time for Railgun 3 anyway it can wait until another season from this entire franchise is close.

3rd - 25th: I don't know why I started this but I felt like watching Kantai Collection: KanColle and I actually watching most of it in 1 day. I started on the 3rd before deciding to focus on getting Railgun done and then on the 25th watched episodes 3 onward to the end. I've heard that some people don't enjoy KanColle very much but I personally really enjoyed it. It had fun characters, interesting voice acting dynamics, good and kinetic animation, and also cute girls, that's a very important part. I've heard the movie is better so I'll watch that at some point if I can and also hope that season 2 is actually still a thing as the studio says it is and maybe one day we'll see it. Kitakami and Ooi are best girls, and also gay girls, and also voiced by the same person.

27th: And then all in one night I watched KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! 2 I specifically watched it cause the Konosuba Movie was coming to Australian cinemas soon and I hadn't watched the second season yet. But hey I'm glad I watched it, it was really good. Way more funny and interesting then the first and it did a lot more with its characters. Honestly it's just getting better as it goes and keeps introducing new plot points at a steady clip. The jokes are consistently good, everyone is consistently a horrible person and I love them all for it. The best worst people, that's what everyone in Konosuba is. I also just love the way the party keeps accidentally there way though defeating multiple commanders and basically becoming well known adventurers who are series threats. This was also my 300th unique anime watched.

31st: And of course then I went and saw KONOSUBA -God's blessing on this wonderful world!- Legend of Crimson which was a really god gao good movie! The sound work and animation was excellent, it was pretty much exactly what you'd want out of a Konosuba film good animation, a good big fight with a comander of the demon lord at the end, interesting world development, everyone being an asshole, hilarious comedy, and no end of sexual misconduct by our main scumbag Kazuma. Absolutely love this movie, never have I laughed out loud so many times while in a movie theater, the sound was really well done and it surprised me since most anime movies don't seem to add extra to their voice work to help make it different specifically movies but it's clear the extra work put into the voices and other audio was done for the sake of enhancing and taking advantage of a cinemas sound setup and it really payed off and made me glad I saw it in an actual cinema. Overall I was amazed and impressed by the movie and having seen it so shortly after Konosuba 2 I've really fallen in love with the series, season 1 was great but didn't really hook me. But season 2 and the movie did a wonderful job, also I love Yunyun, she's such a good girl and she just wants friends and she really gets to shine in the moive, it made me happy. There's a lot more I could say about this movie but if I was going to go into detail about everything I liked it would take way too gao long. Point is I just really f**king love Konosuba now!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:36 am

It's such a bummer I still have to wait for Konosuba 2 for Keima-knows-how-long. After releasing season 1 dubbed in January last year, Crunchyroll announced that the 2nd season was definitely coming. And... here we are, with no further word from them since. Even some of the participating voice actors have come out and basically confirmed that they completed the recording process around Augunst 2019. So Crunchyroll is sitting on the finished product and making us dub fans suffer.

Anyway, enough of that. I finished Golden Time on the weekend. The show was a great ride. While I can see the similarities to Toradora!, Golden Time's blend between romance and drama felt somewhat different to me. I guess the age of the characters contributed to that - on the large, you could tell that these college students made somewhat more sensible/rational decisions than the younger school kids in comparable romance/drama animes.

Strangely, I can't think of much else to say about it in particular. Midway through the show, I was rather annoyed by Banri's 'alter ego' and the frequent flashbacks, but it all culminates in a great way during the dramatic climax, so I can't fault the show for that too much. I also loved the show's characterization of Kouko, although I feel they could've gone into a bit more detail on why she became the way she is - the girl does have some issues, afters all.

Kouko also occupies the best-girl spot for me. I'll give a special shoutout to the 2 tea-club girls, though - their strange contrast between alluring and menacing was on point. Oh, and is anybody willing to try and convince me that Nana is not a blatant reference to her namesake in the old anime series Nana? I'm still puzzled by what motivated the creator (mangaka?) to do this, but it's whatever, I guess.

Eira
I Bleed Anime

Postby Eira » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am

BlueSpark wrote:It's such a bummer I still have to wait for Konosuba 2 for Keima-knows-how-long. After releasing season 1 dubbed in January last year, Crunchyroll announced that the 2nd season was definitely coming. And... here we are, with no further word from them since. Even some of the participating voice actors have come out and basically confirmed that they completed the recording process around Augunst 2019. So Crunchyroll is sitting on the finished product and making us dub fans suffer.

Huh, I find that really weird that they could have it all done and not put it out. Even if they're waiting for a good time surely having put it out while the movie was coming out in English speaking countries would of made it relevant enough to maybe bump it's numbers, weird that they'd be sitting on it for so long.

BlueSpark wrote:I finished Golden Time on the weekend. The show was a great ride. While I can see the similarities to Toradora!, Golden Time's blend between romance and drama felt somewhat different to me. I guess the age of the characters contributed to that - on the large, you could tell that these college students made somewhat more sensible/rational decisions than the younger school kids in comparable romance/drama anime.

Haven't seen Toradora myself, but I have heard people compare the two. (I've had it on DVD for over 2 years at this point, I need to get around to watching it). I must also say I love anime that take place in college, I don't think there's enough of those. Off the top of my head I can think of just Tatami Galaxy and Golden Time, I wish it was a more explored location. Since it's still a school but you have more mature but still immature characters as they're only new adults. Also the whole way that colleges are run gives you so much more flexibility, the way in golden time sometimes people would mention skipping certain classes or doing different things in order to avoid each other, because in college it's easy to just miss a class which isn't nearly as acceptable in high school.

Ukkihsog
I Like Anime

Postby Ukkihsog » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:53 pm

Currently finishing watching animes which i offput for later because i didn't felt like finishing them
  • Magmell ending was very good i'm glad i finished it ::yess::
  • Kenja no Mago got boring at one point but using brute force i finished it
  • Shoumetsu Toshi [plan to finish tomorrow] 3 episodes left

Seasonal anime which i'm currently into are:

• Kyokou Suiri
  • Plunderer
  • Somali to Mori no Kamisama
  • Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!
  • Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shinji to Omoimasu.
  • Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun
  • Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shinji.
  • Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) [Plan to check out tomorrow]
  • Isekai Quartet 2
  • ID:Invaded [Plan to check out tomorrow]
  • Nekopara
  • Infinite Dendrogram
  • Heya Camp△
  • Murenase! Seton Gakuen
  • Koisuru Asteroid
  • Majutsushi Orphen Hagure Tabi
  • Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hakaishin ga Imasu.
  • Hatena☆Illusion
  • Oshi ga Budoukan Ittekuretara Shinu
  • Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga
  • Dorohedoro
Continuing animes which i'm watching
  • Boku no Hero Academia
  • Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia
  • Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
  • Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle

For now don't feel like watching but might pick up any day
  • Natsunagu!
  • 22/7
  • Breakers
  • Darwin's Game
  • Pet
  • Runway de Waratte
  • Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei
  • Uchi Tama?! Uchi no Tama Shirimasen ka?

Don't plan on watching
  • Haikyuu!!: To the Top
  • Ishuzoku Reviewers
  • number24
  • BanG Dream! 3rd Season

Want to watch but can't because i need to rewatch whole series
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T read manga so i know what will happen but i still need to rewatch anime
already done with part of index S1, Completed S1 of railgun in midst of S2 railgun which i watch at same time with index S arc series

That sums up my current watch list ::hi::
Last edited by Ukkihsog on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.