Light Novel Discussion

Page Turning Anime!
khouji
I Like Anime

Re: Light Novel Discussion

Postby khouji » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm reading Tales of Demons and Gods, Emperor's Dominion, True Martial World, Coiling Dragon, Martial God Asura etc

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 am

I'm reading the re:zero novels. I'm halfway into the second one.
It is funny to see the slight differences betwen the anime and the novel. Having acces to subaru's inner dialogs throws a different perspective on things. (I understand now why this idiot loves emilia).
The 'death sinkness' is also made clearer and makes more sens in the novel.
Anyway, good read so far.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

khouji
I Like Anime

Postby khouji » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:08 pm

fragoff wrote:I'm reading the re:zero novels. I'm halfway into the second one.
It is funny to see the slight differences betwen the anime and the novel. Having acces to subaru's inner dialogs throws a different perspective on things. (I understand now why this idiot loves emilia).
The 'death sinkness' is also made clearer and makes more sens in the novel.
Anyway, good read so far.

Zero Novels are nice light novels. ;)

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Just finished reading Kimi no na wa.(Your Name.) novel adaptation by Makoto Shinkai.
It was practically 1:1 conversion of the movie to book form...and since movie was spectacular, so is the book.It's a great written story amazingly conveying yearning for connection and power of feelings.
No matter the format I highly recommend Your Name..Shinkai really outdid himself and wrote something that can be described as masterpiece.
Proud citizen of Principality of Mecha
"Where robots are big
And teenagers angsty"

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:34 am

Kocurek1944 wrote:Just finished reading Kimi no na wa.(Your Name.) novel adaptation by Makoto Shinkai.
It was practically 1:1 conversion of the movie to book form...and since movie was spectacular, so is the book.It's a great written story amazingly conveying yearning for connection and power of feelings.
No matter the format I highly recommend Your Name..Shinkai really outdid himself and wrote something that can be described as masterpiece.
Just to flaunt my amassed Your Name trivia knowledge: The novel was actually the original source written by Shinkai from which he then adapted the movie ;).

While I haven't read it, I've heard in a review/video or two that the film actually had to cut quite a number of corners and also portrayed the ending a bit differently (since Shinkai wasn't the lone decision-maker in the movie production). Your assessment seems to contradict that notion, though.

Edit (better late than never): I need to correct myself in that Shinkai didn't write the novel before producing the film - he did both simultaneously. Or so I've heard.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!