Katawa Shoujo

Page Turning Anime!
BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Re: Katawa Shoujo

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 am

Wow, you knocked that one out quickly ;).

Scribblenog wrote:
Spoiler:
Rin’s route of course made her that much more sypathetic although I’m not sure if she’s supposed to be autistic or if it’s some sort of personality disorder.
I think this is an intriguing question. When I first read Katawa Shoujo, I was stunned by Rin being what I considered an amazingly weird and imaginative character. I figured only someone truly creative (or maybe even somewhat disturbed – no offense intended) could've come up with a character like her. Your diagnosis of her condition seems like a good approximation, but I'm tempted to say it goes beyond even that.

My mind was blown, however, when I read through a number of reviews (following my completion of the VN) and found 2 different writers stating how they could relate to Rin and how this was exactly how many real artists often felt. I'd been convinced that her personality couldn't be anything but a result of overblown (in a positive sense, mind you), inventive writing. This only goes to show just how mind-bogglingly different some human beings perceive themselves and the world around them.

Scribblenog wrote:Playing through this time I got a bit curious about all the choices in the game and whether they actually made much of a difference. It’s possible I was imagining it, but things seemed to be happening in a slightly different order.
The game's choices (talking about the common route, first and foremost) definitely vary in the extent to which they impact the storyline. Some of them are purely for flavor and only alter a couple of lines of text, while others can completely lock you out of an entire scene and switch you over to a different one – which in turn may open up new choices that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
(source: me, the madman that I am, having played the game to 100% completion the first time around)

What I especially appreciate is that some choices may seem miniscule at first by affecting the immediately following dialog, after which the major events progress unaltered; but then, a couple of scenes down the line, Hisao suddenly remembers the situation in which he made that choice (and its immediate aftermath), altering his course of action.

By the by, I finished Hanako's route on Saturday. And I cried. Quite a bit. Her good ending is by far the strongest tearjerker in Katawa Shoujo for me. That reminds me – do you intend to go through all the bad endings, as well? Because both Rin and Hanako actually have a 'very bad' and a 'medium bad' ending which are entirely different from one another. Hanako's very bad ending may be one of the most impactful moments in the entire visual novel.
Last edited by BlueSpark on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Scribblenog
I Like Anime

Postby Scribblenog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 pm

BlueSpark wrote:That reminds me – do you intend to go through all the bad endings, as well?

How could I not? Bad Endings are my favorite. It may take me a while, but running through the game definitely piqued my interest. I think I may have hit one of Rin’s neutral ends as one of the decisions just brought me right into the credits.
As for Rin’s relatability, I think there’s something going on there above and beyond merely being creative or being an artist. Once upon a time I painted and drew far more than I do now. I know how it feels to struggle with blocks and desperately trying to convey a message with a piece of work.
I have never been so deeply locked into that world however that it messed with my ability to function. Then again maybe that’s why I’m not a “real artist” now. I was never that consumed. I enjoyed the creative process but was never overwhelmed by it.

Anywho, I’ve still got two “good end” routes to go, then I’ll probably start digging into the bad ends.

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 am

Scribblenog wrote:I think I may have hit one of Rin’s neutral ends as one of the decisions just brought me right into the credits.
Well, that very abrupt ending is supposed to be the bad one, actually. However, the neutral ending you have yet to discover (which features a lengthy scene with a unique background illustration) can be interpreted in a specific way that would make it the most cruel ending of all.

Scribblenog wrote:I know how it feels to struggle with blocks and desperately trying to convey a message with a piece of work. [...] I enjoyed the creative process but was never overwhelmed by it.
Spoiler:
I suppose what exacerbates the problem for Rin is that she doesn't technically wish to express herself through her art – she desperately tries to express herself the only way she knows how. That's why "she has no choice but to paint," as Rin herself puts it. If her social (and even verbal) inaptitude stem from her passion for art in the first place, that would make it all the more tragic.

The sheer complexity of this discussion brilliantly demonstrates another point that I love about this VN: The characters' physical disabilities are there, and they certainly come into play. But the major conflicts of the girls' routes all center on their personality, relationships and mental state rather than their bodily handicaps. It's ultimately a set of stories about people fighting with very 'human' problems, not about people who are crippled in one way or another.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!