Conventions

Everything Else!
BlueSpark
Otaku

Japan Day 2019 in Germany

Postby BlueSpark » Mon May 27, 2019 1:46 am

I'm digging up this old thread to post my impressions on my recent trip to Düsseldorf, Germany. Just like 2 years ago, I attended this year's annual Japan day on Saturday. It's not a convention (everything's open-air), but the overall atmosphere, I would imagine, is pretty much the same. Now I'm experiencing what I can only assume to be an equivalent of the dreaded "post-con blues" - it feels mildly depressing not being surrounded by awesome people in cosplay anymore :/.

On the bright side, I did get to see a ton of cosplayers, as expected. They're really the only reason I made the trip in the first place, and it was worth it. Unlike the last time I went, I actually worked up the nerve to talk to a couple of them. Mostly just a sentence or two, but I wanted to show them that I recognized their characters (many of which aren't exactly mainstream, at least not in Germany). I talked to:

Shiro from Deadman Wonderland

There was a Yoshino from Date a Live, which I found awesome, so I called out her (character's) name, but she didn't hear me. (BlueSpark fail #1)

Tohru from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: I told her that I'd gladly try a bite of her tail - to which she then presented a plushy of a piece of severed dragon tail and let me fake-nibble on it :D. One of the day's highlights for sure.

Silica from Sword Art Online: She was holding a plushy that was clearly not-dragon-shaped. I embarassed myself by asking whether it was her Pino. She told me no and corrected me that her pet is in fact called Pina. Awkward. (BlueSpark fail #2)

Taiga Aisaka from Toradora!: I likely wouldn't have recognized the character if the girl didn't have a plushy of the show's signature pint-sized tiger on her shoulder. I complimented her on that detail. In hindsight, I regret not talking with her a bit more, about the show, for example; Toradora! is one of my all-time favorites, after all.

There was a D.va from Overwatch (video game) who didn't stand out to me because of her cosplay, but because she was standing in an empty area off to the side, next to a guy playing guitar - and she sang "Zen Zen Zense" (a RADWIMPS song played in Your Name) in Japanese. Like a lone (but happy) fool, I briefly applauded after she was finished :).

Zero-Two from Darling in the FranXX: She was the first of 2 two Zero-Twos I saw at the event, which felt odd because I figured she'd be a hugely popular character for cosplays. She told me that she'd seen two more. But yeah, overall, Zero-Two wasn't nearly as popular as Asuna, Yuno Gasai, Rem, or Ram. I let her know that I appreciated how she'd added a lollipop as part of the costume - that was a neat touch :>.

Elias Ainsworth from The Ancient Magus' Bride (accompanied by Chise): This guy's cosplay was very elaborate, especially the mask, of course. Small problem was that I'd completely forgotten the name of the character, so I had to ask him. (BlueSpark fail #3)

Overall, things went much smoother this time than they did 2 years ago (regarding the train ride, my lunch, and the slightly milder temperature). To combat my depression from being thrown back into a normie environment, I've been looking up some YouTube videos on the Japan Day, but it's not really helping. Nevertheless, it's a great memory made.

Oh, by the way, my brother went into crazy cosplay mode, himself, and went as Lilligant (Pokemon, 5th generation). I'll upload a photo when I get home tonight.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

BlueSpark
Otaku

Re: Conventions

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Whoops, totally forgot to upload the photo of my brother's costume - here it is (100% self-made):

Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!