Anime reviewers and critics

Everything Else!
BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Re: Anime reviewers and critics

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:21 am

TrES-2b wrote:I quit looking at his videos with the SAO one. I don't care much for SAO but that video on one of its OPs was just too much pointless bashing for me
This is (sadly(?)) my lasting impression of Digibro. Fun fact, I actually spite-watched The Asterisk War purely because he made a bashing video on it. And lo and behold, I had pretty decent fun with that series.

I used to be subscribed to GlassReflection and TheBlackCriticGuy, but over time I found myself being less and less eager to watched their videos. There are some I followed for a little while, like UnderTheScopeReviews, before finding that they're putting out too much negativity for my taste.

The only YouTuber I've been subscribed to for ages and still enjoy following is JV (JV Anime Reviews). His tastes have pretty big overlap with mine, so getting his opinion on new shows is quite helpful to me.

Other than that, I actually read a lot of anime reviews when I'm bored at work. I've found a number of sites which I really like and worked my way through their review lists, but normally I just google the most recent show I've watched and read anything that comes up in the search results.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Crash Kamio
Anime Junky

Postby Crash Kamio » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:56 am

I kinda got off the anime podcasters/reviewers give or take Glass Reflection (my go to) and the occasional OS cast. Digibro is awful, Gigguk is fun sometimes. I used to follow Sudostef like it was no ones business. I loved his analysis of EVA, Berserk characters, some Madoka, and Lain. then he disappeared and it left a hole no other reviewer could fill. Theres some more people I follow eho do some cool reviews/analysis stuff but cant seem to find their names in my YouTube subscriptions at the moment. And once I get caught up on the Berserk manga I'm gonna binge some channels Fullmetal has shown me.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:03 pm

As far as podcasts go I only listen to Otaku Spirit, I know other anime podcasts are other there but I find majority of podcast people really annoying and I’m super picky with who I listen to, if I don’t enjoy them within a few episodes then I don’t bother. I actually found some of the things Andrew and Chris said early on to be annoying and almost gave it up but something about them made me wanna stay and now I respect them in a weird kinda way, I still get a little annoyed when they spend a lot of time on something that’s wrong but I enjoy them a lot despite it all.

As for youtubers I’m still subscribed to the one and only fallen god Demoliton D+ PLEASE COME BACK TO US DEMO! I miss demo, he was so god gao funny! Outside of that I’m only subscribed to Mothers Basement, I really liked his videos, I look forward to every upload. I’ve seen all of his videos and I’ve been subscribed to his channel since the early days, before he really started blowing up. He also just has very similar taste to me, almost every time he talks about a show he likes or dislikes and why he thinks that way it almost always lines up with my own thoughts so he’s a guy I can trust when he says something cause in the past he’s only rarely deviated from my own taste as well.

As for people I’m not subbed to but have watched content on there’s of course Digibro who I actually knew about back when he was Digibrony and made MLP videos, I didn’t watch him but a friend of mine mentioned him as he was a brony for a time. Later he complained about digibro just being an anime channel or something. Overall I don’t like Digibro, he gets a lot of things wrong and he’s admitted to being drunk during most of his recordings, so he says a lot of dumb Shinji people shouldn’t take seriously, but his fans take them like it’s god objective truth of the world and that’s a problem with how much misinformation he spreads. It’s no surprise that he went from one of the highest ani tubers to one of the lowest (lowest of the still popular) and lost most of the anituber communities support and friendship (Geoff from mothers basement use to call him a good friend, I’m pretty sure that’s changed) and Crunchyroll has blacklisted him now too.

Gigguk makes pretty good content for the most part but I don’t watch it too much, i don’t watch him much tho cause most of the videos he upload don’t interest me most of the time. Eyepatch Wolf is a really cool guy and I like a lot of his content but some of it annoys me jsut based on its content, I check his channel every now and again and maybe watch a few videos but for the most part I’m not subscribed becuase there’s still a chunck of his content I’m bothered by. The Anime Man is cool and all, Australia represent I don’t have any issue with him by the majority of his content isn’t really stuff I watch, I watch some stuff and I think he’s a cool dude but for the most part not someone I’ll sub too. And I know of others but I almost never check them out and for that reason I won’t mention anymore, this post is kinda long already anyway.

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:46 am

Eira wrote:The Anime Man is cool and all, Australia represent I don’t have any issue with him by the majority of his content isn’t really stuff I watch, I watch some stuff and I think he’s a cool dude but for the most part not someone I’ll sub too.
Some of his stuff is really funny, and he presents his content in a manner that it's really hard to take offense to, even if you disagree with him. That's something I appreciate a lot in a YouTuber. Plus without him, it's unlikely I'd have ever heard of hilarious "KumaShock! Japan" gems such as a hot spring as an anime protagonist.

Tori
Super NEET II

Postby Tori » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:42 am

I've mostly moved away from critics and reviewers on youtube. Especially in the anime sphere as I feel like they have gotten way to predictable. It also doesn't help that most of them are sponsored by streaming companies like Crunchyroll, merch companies, or others which always makes me question if they are being legit in their reviews or if they are just trying to sell something from thier site.

The only ones I really follow now are Gigguk (funny videos/reflections), Super Eyepatch Wolf (analyses mostly the strong points of shows, especially shounen anime) and Otaku VS (sporadic uploads and mostly seems ot stick with his Ota-chan videos at the moment, but just a really funny guy who makes some pretty unique videos in comparison to the rest of Anitube.)
ON EXTENDED HIATUS
SEE YOU IN DISCORD

Imagehttp://myanimelist.net/animelist/ToriXtra

BlueSpark
I Bleed Anime

Postby BlueSpark » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 am

Tori wrote:Otaku VS (sporadic uploads and mostly seems ot stick with his Ota-chan videos at the moment, but just a really funny guy who makes some pretty unique videos in comparison to the rest of Anitube.)
I stumbled across "True Facts: Yandere" (and "Dandere") about a year ago and had a classic "Dafuq did I just watch?" moment. It was super weird, yet somehow hilarious :D. The speaker they hired for those 2 videos has a grade-A badass voice.

Just recently, I started digging into the channel and going through its list of videos. Some really funny stuff in there, plus it lets me feel a sense of accomplishment at how many of the characters I recognize ;).

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 am

I am very carrefull about critics. I tend to take very short sample of a lot of them and make an average.
But generaly, taste is taste and i'dd rater see for myself than take for granted the opinion of someone who share few common tastes with me.

The easyest blatant exemple of this are the annual top 10 animes of japan where you see shows like naruto or hunter x when you had gems like scum's wish or tsuki ga kirei not making the list. It tells me i do not have the same taste as 15y olds and most others too...
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato