Podcast Catch Up Blog

Everything Else!
SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Re: Podcast Catch Up Blog

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 am

and now that we are on that subject, a little trivia on the main family of Vocaloid. Despite being the third in the line of the Crypton Future Media Vocaloid, Miku is given the designation of CV01. This was done both as a start of Crypton Future Media's new line of Vocaloids, and also to get away from the bad sales of Meiko and Kaito, who though officially are designated CR01 and CR02, also are unofficially designated CV0 and CV0.5 respectively by the community.

After the great surgence of Vocaloid, started by Otomania's 'cover of Ievan Polka, sales of Miku skyrocket and her fame garnered the interest to release the twin Vocaloids Kagamine Rin and Kagamine Len who share the designation CV02. With their success came Megurine Luka, CV03. 2008 saw a rediscovery of Kaito as a viable Vocaloid and in 2010 after the release of the third Vocaloid engine, Meiko and Kaito received a long awaited second release and saw a resurgence in the spotlight, finally putting an end to their dark past.

Eira
Crazy About Anime

Postby Eira » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:49 pm

SethAmaha wrote:The lyrics are complete gibberish; they are not even a translation of the original.
That’s a myth, it’s the Finnish language and it’s being used in a weird way but it has actual meaning and is using real words just in a weird way that makes it hard for even Finnish people to understand it, but it’s real words with real meaning and a story to the song.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Eira wrote:
SethAmaha wrote:The lyrics are complete gibberish; they are not even a translation of the original.
That’s a myth, it’s the Finnish language and it’s being used in a weird way but it has actual meaning and is using real words just in a weird way that makes it hard for even Finnish people to understand it, but it’s real words with real meaning and a story to the song.

i was taking about the Otomania cover. The original is Finish, but a look at the lyrics clearly show that the cover lyrics don't come close to the original in terms of translation or even phonetic transition.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:23 am

Because we've just had a nice discussion on it, time to introduce the famous Otomania Cover of Ievan Polkka.
phpBB [video]

First released in 2007 in nico nico douga, the song and video became an instant success and begin the craze of Vocaloid we know today. The song itself was a cover of the 1995 Loituma quartet version of the classic Finnish song. The video, depicting a chibified version of Miku spinning a Negi Onion, was inspired by a 2006 Flash animated video of Orihime from the anime Bleach, spinning a leek to the the Loituma Ievan Polkka song. The Miku video began a tradition of Vocaloid having what is considered a featured item unique to each Vocaloid with the Negi Onion being Miku's famous item. The success of the song inspired various composers to make covers of the Otomania version with other Vocaloid including Rin, Len, Luka and various others as arias, duos, and groups.

In 2009, the Hatsune Miku -Project DIVA- , the first in a long lime of games, not only featured this song as part of it's roster but also introduced the famous Ievan Polkka dance.
phpBB [video]

This dance again inspired other artists to make covers of this dance with other Vocaloids, some of which were featured in later Hatsune Miku games.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:11 am

Most recent episode heard: Fall 2016 Anime Season Review Part 4 (1/14/2017)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew (quoting someone else on Keijo): "Breasts as weapons, really?.... They wouldn't make for great, powerful attacks"
-Is it wrong that I can actually make a definitive decision on this based on experience? Somehow or another, I've not only had girlfriends, but they have all been on the large busted side> (it's not like I'm bragging or anything). One day, one of these girlfriends decided to come up to e as I was on my knees tying up my shoelaces, and decided to give a a full booby slap. Have you ever been sucker slapped by DDD sized breasts traveling at a velocity of 15 MPH ? They Freaking hurt like hell. I was almost knocked out by that one hit so yeah random commenter, breasts really can make for dangerous weapons of mass destruction.

I was going to comment on the idea that there might have been a cross dresser in Cross Ange, but after some digging, I realized that I was right about something for all these years = Cross Ange has a Video Game. and Apparently, it was good. So all this time I thought that that one scene of that one episode was made for the sole purpose of selling a future game was right.

Woah, woah, woah. Andrew hasn't seen The Devil Is a Part-Timer!? Andrew, my friends, you are missing out on a really good show

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:50 am

Most recent episode heard: Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (4/12/2017)
Considering you say you still haven't seen a full CG show that bothered you, I'm curious what you would think of Kingdom if you veer get to it.

Don't get me wrong, I love Made in Abyss. I just don't care for the character designs. You have this beautifully depicted world full of life and vibrant colors but that is contrasted so badly to these weird looking chibi characters. The show itself is amazing, the contrast was just jarring to me personally.

Wait, you guys live in Mississippi? There ain't anything there for people like us. Guys, you gotta come back home. We even have takoyaki. Image

Really Andrew? Your excuse for messing up names is that you watch too many? What excuse do you have when binge watching a show for a review?

Chris: "i'm too much of a coward"
-Say the former serviceman. Did we have to worry about our safety when you were in uniform?

Technically speaking, Goku has never actually beaten Vegeta. He may have beat people that Vegeta couldn't, but so far as I know, he has never beaten him in a 1 on 1.

I hear how much you love KonoSuba for taking its premise and just going nuts with it but act so dismissive of Grand Blue Dreaming for doing the exact same thing. You clearly said you love KonoSuba because it was just going for laughs and not for a grandiose story but that is exactly what the other show is doing but for some reason you kept looking for one.

Having listened to your talk on Fuuka I can finally understand what the whole uproar about that show was when it aired. I had my own issues with the show but hearing the actual reason put things into perspective. I gotta say that I feel really bad for the author. First, he had The Town where you Live butchered to pieces and now Fuuka was just slapped out of his hands into the dirt for something else altogether. I hope one day one of his world is actually given justice.

I'm still proud of the fact that if you go to CR and look at the reviews for Kemono Friends, you will find that my review of it was the very first one to actually praise it all. I supported that show from episode 1 and was unamazed (and yeah, I was a little snooty about it) that that show started getting so much love as each week went by.
-------------------------------------------------
Andrew (on Nobunaga): "I should know by now"
-Yeah, I think that if you have been watching anime and have kept up with anime for the past few decades that you should at least have some basic understanding of who Nobunaga is and why he is so gao important to the Japanese. By its very nature, anime just loves to have Nobunaga asd a character and even if you don't know every little detail about him and his conquest, having at least an understanding of the mayor players in his story is important to get the countless references you see in so many shows. I honestly love shows that have him as an a character because I have actually taken the time to read up on him and my appreciation for those shows is so much higher because of it.

Nobunaga concerto is a great example of this. Hearing Andrews praise of it is great and all, but I do hear that he is missing so much of what that show offered because of his lack of understanding of the history behind him. I hear the criticisms he had of it, like not getting why the other characters are so accepting of his weirdness, but if you look into Nobunaga's backstory, you would find that yeah, Nobunaga was extremely strange for a person in his age; so much so that his nickname was the Fool of Owari. But realizing that the "foolishness" is what set him apart from everyone else and allowed him to do things that no one else could bring more understanding of Nobunaga as a character in a show. It's not necessary to read up on him if don't watch shows that don;t include him, but if you do then you have to understand that the level of appreciation you get from him is many times greater when you already know him as a person.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:08 am

Most recent episode heard: Spring 2017 Anime First Impressions (5/06/2017)
I'm surprised that Chris did like Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori. I thought he liked it when characters tried to spread the dokidokis.

The the heck are Joey the bastard James? Why are we getting new characters in this show without any explanation?

Really Chris? A dollar here and there? FGO has only two types of players: The free to play and those it has enslaved. Dollar eher and there, get out of here. This game has sucked so much money out of me that by the time I die, the amount of money I will have spent would amount more than I could have used to buy a house.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:04 am

Time to introduce one of my favorite pick me up songs. This is bootstrap by temporu featuring Megurine Luka. I suggest a good set of headphones or surround sound system for this.
phpBB [video]

The unfortunate side of this song is that the composer, temporu, is effectively retired as of 2011. The bright side is that because he has always been an independent composer and never licensed his songs to sell, all his works as free to download from his priapro account or from anywhere you can find it.
https://piapro.jp/t/LeLF
https://piapro.jp/temporu

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 am

Most recent episode heard: CGI and Anime (6/03//2017)
How is Heavy Object info dump the anime? If anything, the entire Bakemonogatari series if Info Dump the franchise. Practically every interaction Araragi has with anyone is ne huge info dump. Yes, I know, the answer is still Bakemonogatari but that's beside the point.

So you have seen Carnival Phantasm. I always keep asking that but never get a reply. At least now I know.

Andrew: "It doesn't mean to compulsively throw whatever comes to the top of your head...Just no more whose gonna die questions"
-In my defense, I have not actually made you guys choose to kill anyone. I usually just kill you myself and torture you with difficult decisions.

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:38 am

So after much debate with myself on what to feature next, I finally decided on perhaps on of the most expansive stories to come out of the vocaloid world which I will go into further details further down. The song is Dance with Asmodeus, The Madness of Duke Venomania by Akuno-P featuring Kamui Gakupo (yes, Gackt made a Vocaloid) Miku, Meiko, Luka, Gumi and Kaito.
phpBB [video]

The song comes from the Evil Forest Album now available in iTunes. The song is part of a multi media series called the The Evillious Chronicles produced by Akuno-P (Mothy). The series is told in both book format and Vocaloid music format much like how MekakuCity Actors series from Shizen no Teki-P did before getting it's own anime.

The song itself is fascinating in that when taken along side the video, expresses dark story of vanity, madness, death, and deceit. I will try to explain the story it tells in the best way I acn now.
-----------------------------------------------
The poor Duke, born of great blood, yet born with face too grotesque to ever know love
His past was dim and shallow but had but a single glim of hope in the girl with green hair
Pouring his love on the girl, the man reached for the hope he held so dear, only to be rejected for his own grotesque figure

Lost of all hope for love, than man fell into madness and killed his kin
The devil of lust approached him and offered hope in life for damnation in death
With nothing left to lose than Duke took the devils hand and became dammed, caring not for the consequences ahead

With a brand new face and the powers of the demon, the Duke was born anew
Yet his madness reamined and his unsated lust threw its claws to the innocent maidens
One after another, the damned Duke enchanted the young maidens, leading them deep into his basement and defiling their every hair
His days of debauchery eventually threw its curse towards to one who had rejected him before and his madness spread ever more through the land

A young man, rich in love and life, had with him a flower he held dear.
Yet he lost it so easy to the demon clad Duke
The madness spread to him and with schemes of his own he tricked the Duke and stabbed him through chest
Now the duke, with his blood spilling to floor has his spell broken
The young maidens flee from his grasps and with a final set tear he watches as the only one he truly loves leaves him once more.
---------------------------
The rest of the songs in the album expand on this story as it follows the young women from his enchanted harem and the other albums from the composer, as well as his book, tell a much bigger story expanding several centuries and characters with many plot twists. It's style of storytelling is similar to something like Pandora Hearts minus the shounen aspect. It's dark, gritty, and madness is the common theme of it. I personally haven't gone too deep into it but it is very deep and interesting once you get to reading about it.