Coffee snobs in the house?

Everything Else!
Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Coffee snobs in the house?

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:20 am

We have any coffee snobs tooling around? What's your favorite style of coffee, favorite Bean, favorite roast, favorite flavors, how do you drink it?

As for me I've tried most styles of coffee and find that French press is the ideal for hot coffee and cold brewing for iced. Both of which I drink black. My favorite roast and flavor is on a but of a rotation but I default to Kona coffee or jamacian roast. They're smooth, relatively lite roasted so I can get that caffeine drip, and still produce aromatic flavor.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Re: Coffee snobs in the house?

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:25 pm

I am but not rich enough to experiment. One day I will join you in your snobbishness.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Chris wrote:I am but not rich enough to experiment. One day I will join you in your snobbishness.

Bro I could help you with that. I could even do it relatively cheaply. Ask semi, I corrupted him. ::peace::

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:48 pm

My favorite is the french press because it's so smooth and super fast to make.
Turkish coffee is up there too but I haven't been able to make it correctly so I'll need more time to see if it beats the press.
The French Press does great hot and iced coffee so recently I've been doing iced since its so hot outside.
Cold brew is great as well.

It's a little too hard to tell the difference in beans since I'm still experimenting but I'd probably go with Arabica medium roast.
Whenever I get dark roast it tastes too much like chocolate for me so I usually just settle on medium to medium dark and pick the ones that say caramel flavored instead of chocolate.
I usually put a little of baileys original Irish cream (nonalcoholic cuz at I have it before work :P ) or coffee mates artisan cafe creamer vanilla or caramel flavors. Every other creamer I've tried tastes like watered down chemical milk.
I don't put much in since I still like the bitterness of the coffee but its usually too bitter for me to drink black.
I'm looking butter rum or Jamaican me crazy flavored coffee to see if I can just switch to that and just drink black so I'll get back to you guys on that later ;D

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm the anti-snob a.k.a. the spoilsport who wouldn't touch coffee if you gave him money :P. It's never been appealing to me. Besides the aroma, there's also the fact that I deal very badly with hot drinks. If I make tea, I have to let the cup sit for at least 15-20 minutes before I can start taking sips. Otherwise, my poor tongue is liable to put me in some major pain.

Instead, I quite enjoy drinking milk. Not really a topic fit for lengthy conversation, though... ("Semi-skimmed?" - "Heck yeah, semi-skimmed is totally the best!" - "Cool!" - "..." - "...")
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Out of curiosity senpai is there a way to get the effect of frenchpress without the press?

I know in theory what it’s doing but I need to keep the monies in check.

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:50 pm

Chris wrote:Out of curiosity senpai is there a way to get the effect of frenchpress without the press?

Technically yes. 1 tablespoon per 8oz boiling water in Mason jar, mix, or shake, wait 5-7 minutes and strain out the grounds.

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Fullmetal-Senpai wrote:
Chris wrote:Out of curiosity senpai is there a way to get the effect of frenchpress without the press?

Technically yes. 1 tablespoon per 8oz boiling water in Mason jar, mix, or shake, wait 5-7 minutes and strain out the grounds.

bah i have tried that to very horrible results. but ill give it another shot tomorrow thanks.

maybe im trying to make it too strong. i suspect thats the issue.

MojaveRena
I Love Anime

Postby MojaveRena » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:37 am

I'm more of a tea drinker but I do drink Italian espresso coffee before work (black, with sugar), or sometimes a cappuccino. Normally you drink espresso from a tiny cup, and it's very strong.

My homemade coffee is made using a Bialetti "moka pot", using grounded Arabica coffee beans. I haven't seen many other types of coffee beans in the shops here in Italy, but the "Jamaican Roast" Fullmetal mentioned sounds nice!

Fun fact: traditionally you can't drink cappuccino after 10am in Italy, otherwise people think you're a bit weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fullmetal-Senpai
Otaku

Postby Fullmetal-Senpai » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:31 am

MojaveRena wrote:I'm more of a tea drinker but I do drink Italian espresso coffee before work (black, with sugar), or sometimes a cappuccino. Normally you drink espresso from a tiny cup, and it's very strong.

My homemade coffee is made using a Bialetti "moka pot", using grounded Arabica coffee beans. I haven't seen many other types of coffee beans in the shops here in Italy, but the "Jamaican Roast" Fullmetal mentioned sounds nice!

Fun fact: traditionally you can't drink cappuccino after 10am in Italy, otherwise people think you're a bit weird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never expected an Italian to be a tea drinker, mostly because of the stereotypes. Moka is personally one of the only "perculator styles" that I'm a fan of. Arabica beans are all about freshness iyam and the last "tiny cup"coffee I had was Cuban coffee, it was good.

Jamacian roast, or at least that's what they call it where I get it is medium roasted with jamacian rum and the flavor comes forward for it ::happy::