Binging vs Weekly Viewing

Everything Else!
JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Binging vs Weekly Viewing

Postby JaredScott5 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Does anyone find more enjoyment of a series when they binge it vs the standard weekly episode? I started to notice this with Rising of the Shield Hero, Mob Psycho II, and JoJos Bizarre Adventure; but it seems like the week-long wait removes some of the enjoyment overall.

I find that I quickly forget plot details that resurface several episodes later, or that I even get my expectations too high between the wait. With the three shows I mentioned, I had anywhere between 3 to 24 episodes to catch up on so I was able to have a solid stream of content before having to wait weekly. With each of these shows, I quickly began to enjoy them less the moment I had to wait for new episodes. I still watch these shows and enjoy them of course, but it does feel like I'm losing a noticeable amount of something when binging is no longer an option. Curious to hear everyones thoughts on this.

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Re: Binging vs Weekly Viewing

Postby fragoff » Wed May 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Welcome back, stranger.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu May 09, 2019 1:10 am

JaredScott5 wrote:Does anyone find more enjoyment of a series when they binge it vs the standard weekly episode? I started to notice this with Rising of the Shield Hero, Mob Psycho II, and JoJos Bizarre Adventure; but it seems like the week-long wait removes some of the enjoyment overall.

Well I guess that just comes down to the person but I tend to not really think of it as an issue. You can either wait a week can get 1 episode or wait 24 weeks and get 24 episodes. You still have to wait for the show to be done to watch it, it’s just that I’ll be done with it before you and be able to take part is regular discussion with other anime fans and you’ll just watch it all at once after I’m already done and not be able to talk to others about it as most of the time people have moved on.

JaredScott5 wrote:I find that I quickly forget plot details that resurface several episodes later, or that I even get my expectations too high between the wait. With the three shows I mentioned, I had anywhere between 3 to 24 episodes to catch up on so I was able to have a solid stream of content before having to wait weekly. With each of these shows, I quickly began to enjoy them less the moment I had to wait for new episodes. I still watch these shows and enjoy them of course, but it does feel like I'm losing a noticeable amount of something when binging is no longer an option. Curious to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. If you’re forgetting things that fast then I don’t really know what to tell you as that’s not normal. Even if a plot point is set up and then doesn’t really matter till many episodes later you should still be remembering that’s it’s a part of the show and it’s world.

Also getting expectations too high also sounds like a personal problem. If you’re building up something in your head and then get disappointed all you’re really getting disappointed about is something you made up. You created something fake and then for some reason feel like you’re promised it being that good and then when it’s not you’re disappointed. Here’s a word of advice, stop doing that! People do it with games, anime, and movies all the time and it’s really not healthy. Also dose that mean that while you wait the 12-24 weeks for a show to finish you don’t build up ever worse and more hype? That’s extra weird.

If you just prefer watching stuff weekly that’s fine but to me it sounds like you got a lot of issues going on that you would need to work out in order to watch stuff weekly and majority of it is not normal.
Everything I say is in relation to me, objectivity doesn't exist.

MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Eira_99
Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 09, 2019 2:14 am

From the very onset of my anime fandom, I've only ever binge-watched. The idea of consuming episodes week by week never appealed to me. The watch-alongs on this forum are somewhat of an exception to the rule, but then again, waiting only 1 day between episodes is very different from waiting a whole week.
JaredScott5 wrote:I find that I quickly forget plot details that resurface several episodes later
This is my no. 1 reason, too. I prefer being able to concentrate on 1 series at a time and dedicating all my attention to it.

Eira wrote:If you’re forgetting things that fast then I don’t really know what to tell you as that’s not normal.
To be honest, Eira, that sounds like a rather arrogant stance to me. Even from one day to the next, I find it easy to forget small moments of what a specific character says or does, which then have an influence on the events of a later episode, making me scratch my head and asking "Where's this coming from?". I wouldn't consider that "abnormal" in the least; rather, I think you'd need an exceptional memory to remember every little nuance of what an anime shows you (depending on the complexity of the show, of course).
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 am

BlueSpark wrote:
Eira wrote:
JaredScott5 wrote:I find that I quickly forget plot details that resurface several episodes later
If you’re forgetting things that fast then I don’t really know what to tell you as that’s not normal.
To be honest, Eira, that sounds like a rather arrogant stance to me. Even from one day to the next, I find it easy to forget small moments of what a specific character says or does, which then have an influence on the events of a later episode, making me scratch my head and asking "Where's this coming from?". I wouldn't consider that "abnormal" in the least; rather, I think you'd need an exceptional memory to remember every little nuance of what an anime shows you (depending on the complexity of the show, of course).

Well maybe he meant small aspects but he said plot details, I never find myself facing that issue. I don’t mean to be arrogant either cause as far as I’ve been able to tell I’m not the exception as as far as what I’ve seen not many people really have this problem, in fact this is the first time I’ve ever seen this given as a reason to not watch weekly. If people wanna do that for everything, that’s fine, I don’t really mind. But this reason just surprises me cause I’ve never seen someone say this before now.

I’m not trying to be weird I’m still almost sure that it’s not the average to forget things and get lost, maybe it’s just something you need to be more use to, maybe binging more often or weekly watching more often helps you over time adjust to one of those styles of watching but it’s never really been an issue for me or anyone else I’ve ever talked to about this before now.

Feel free to add me on Discord for more chat form discussions: One True Eira#1560

BlueSpark
Otaku

Postby BlueSpark » Thu May 09, 2019 9:33 am

Well, I should probably have emphasized more that it depends heavily on the show and the various degrees of complexity in it. One example that always comes to mind for me is Toradora!: There are so many little expressions in the characters' behavior that tell us what that person is feeling or thinking at the moment, which then also impacts their relationship with another character. A couple of episodes later, this little detail could suddenly become important in explaining why that character behaves in a certain way towards someone else, why they say something they don't actually mean, etc.. There's so much to unpack that I have trouble keeping in mind for even just a full day, let alone a week.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
I Bleed Anime

Postby fragoff » Thu May 09, 2019 1:18 pm

I personaly do both evenly. I guess i tend to watch anime weekly when they are out and binge those i missed or choose to watch later on.

I believe that this is a meek issue. In the end, what matters, is that you watch your animes the way you enjoy them the most.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Postby JaredScott5 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:40 pm

BlueSpark wrote:From the very onset of my anime fandom, I've only ever binge-watched. The idea of consuming episodes week by week never appealed to me. The watch-alongs on this forum are somewhat of an exception to the rule, but then again, waiting only 1 day between episodes is very different from waiting a whole week.

Watching along with the forums certainly helps. I'd almost forgotten about that since I've not watched anime in several months; but now I'm catching up on quite a bit. It was particularly fun with the ReZero threads. The conversations on these forums tend to be better quality versus other sites ::peace::

JaredScott5
I Like Anime

Postby JaredScott5 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:41 pm

fragoff wrote:Welcome back, stranger.

Feels good to be back. ::happy::

Eira
Anime Junky

Postby Eira » Fri May 10, 2019 4:39 am

fragoff wrote:I personaly do both evenly. I guess i tend to watch anime weekly when they are out and binge those i missed or choose to watch later on.

I believe that this is a meek issue. In the end, what matters, is that you watch your animes the way you enjoy them the most.

Yer, this is how I go about. Also I refuse to write up a review for a show if I finish watching it after it was airing and I’ll only review shows after I’ve been able to binge watch it, so if I watch something weekly I’ll know I’ll have to rewatch it later and so there’s a lot of shows I look forward to but wait till they’re done to actually watch.