364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Talk about the Podcast!
Companion Kyuubey
Crazy About Anime

Re: 364) Best Anime of 2017 Deliberations Part 4

Postby Companion Kyuubey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Chris wrote:TLDR thanks for listening and putting up with our horrible butchery of a Forine language

Andrew wrote:It’s harder than it seems, trust me, but appreciate people being patient despite. We will never be perfect and continue to screw up until the day we finish, apologies beforehand.

I only point it out because you guys have actually gotten quite good with your pronunciations of a foreign language, so it just stands out more to me when mistakes are made. ::peace::

Also, the English language is a terrible language that is altogether much too complicated with way too many rules and exceptions.
My Anime List /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\My Figure Collection

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Companion Kyuubey wrote:
Also, the English language is a terrible language that is altogether much too complicated with way too many rules and exceptions.

Errr i am not sure what is your native tongue, but never was there a falser statement than this. English is one of the easiest language out there. if you think it has complicated rules and exceptions, you should try french, arabic or russian for fun.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Companion Kyuubey wrote:I only point it out because you guys have actually gotten quite good with your pronunciations of a foreign language, so it just stands out more to me when mistakes are made. ::peace::

Haha, we never win in that case ::terrible::
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Midnight Crooh
I Like Anime

Postby Midnight Crooh » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:17 am

Andrew wrote:Once again I welcome people to record hundreds of hours of themselves jumping languages in speech and let me pick apart pronunciations.

The constant mispronounciations kinda bothered me as well, but I honestly also found it kind of amusing, in a way. Both of you mispronounced Tsuki ga Kirei, but in each in your own way and neither of you ever changed to match the other. It was like a battle of the preferred pronounciations. But yeah, Tsuki ga Key-ray, Land of the Lus-trus. Made in Abyss (no "the" in there).

Anyway, enough (light-hearted) negativity. Had a lot of fun listen to you guys debate and bicker over which series gets what "award". While I haven't watched nearly as much anime as either of you I've heard enough about most series to know that your choices were generally pretty gao good ones. I noticed my opinions generally fell more in line with Andrew than Chris. Pretty great to hear you both view Made in Abyss as an anime of the year though. I absolutely adore that show, harsh and heart-rending as it may be, and if I had made these anime lists I would've probably shoved Made in Abyss into almost every category where it could reasonably fit. ::yess::

Anyway, Imma end it off with my own personal top 5 of the year, just for comparison's sake.

1. Made in Abyss
2. Houseki no Kuni (Land of the Lustrous)
3. KADO: The right answer
4. Kuzu no Honkai (Scum's Wish)
5. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou (Girl's Last Tour)

Thanks for keeping me entertained when I'm out working. You're definitely one of my favourite podcasts to listen to.

-Crooh

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm

fragoff wrote:Errr i am not sure what is your native tongue, but never was there a falser statement than this. English is one of the easiest language out there.
I've got to back up fragoff here. Kyuubey has a point in regards to inconsistent pronunciation rules in the English language, but practically everything else is heaps easier to grasp and apply than any area of the German grammar (and probably most other commonly spoken languages). English does have a vast vocabulary, though, which contributes to making it difficult to master for foreign learners.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!

fragoff
Crazy About Anime

Postby fragoff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:18 pm

BlueSpark wrote:
fragoff wrote:Errr i am not sure what is your native tongue, but never was there a falser statement than this. English is one of the easiest language out there.
I've got to back up fragoff here. Kyuubey has a point in regards to inconsistent pronunciation rules in the English language, but practically everything else is heaps easier to grasp and apply than any area of the German grammar (and probably most other commonly spoken languages). English does have a vast vocabulary, though, which contributes to making it difficult to master for foreign learners.

i was hesitant in naming german as i do not know the langage very well. I know your numerical system is crazy hard in lenght and pronunciation, but that is about it. If i had known i would learn english outside of school, i would have pick-up german when i was in my country of birth :/
English has a vast vocabulary thanks to its root in French. little known fact is that the court of england was french speaking for about 800 years and that if you remove all traces of french in the language, english cease to be a working tool for comunication.
It is assexual: objects have no sex, making it very easy on that part. Plurals are almost always treated with a simple 's' at the end of a word. English has 12 verb tenses, wich is very advanced, but with easy iterations and very small variations in the conjugation of the verb. And when it is said that english has a lot of exceptions!!! i am very sorry to say that it is false. English as a few, especialy with verbs, but in general is very linear grammaticaly.

The sadest problem of english is that since it is a commercial comunication tool, it is loosing a lot of its beauty. I read a study a wile ago that was explaining that 80% of english speaking milenials were now unable to correctly read and understand a Shakespear's book. This tongue is de-evolving very vast :'(

p.s: is it true that german was greatly simplified at the start of the 20th century? i heard something in that regard recently.
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

BlueSpark
Anime Junky

Postby BlueSpark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:18 pm

fragoff wrote:p.s: is it true that german was greatly simplified at the start of the 20th century? i heard something in that regard recently.
I honestly couldn't tell you. I did gain a little bit of insight into the history of our language in one of my university classes, but only in broad strokes.
Know a decent number of anime characters? Check out my forum game!