Animecast Question Thread

Talk about the Podcast!
Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Re: Animecast Question Thread

Postby Kocurek1944 » Wed May 02, 2018 8:00 am

It has been ages since I last asked questions for the podcast. So here are a few ones:
1.Recently I noticed a new trend in storytelling. More shows as of recent (Mob Psycho 100, Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, Star Wars The Last Jedi to name a few examples) tend to spill its thematic content via dialogue in the final act. What do you think about conveying message this way?
2.Have You ever encountered character hyped up by the fanbase only to be left wandering where is this "love" coming from?
3.Anime opening and endings are often a place of visual experimentation and unique art styles.Why do you think no one really bothers to make entire shows using those techniques? I would love to see anime made in style of, for example, Bakemonogatari first ending.

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Sun May 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Is there a resource where one can keep track of licences for anime? Sometimes shows on legal platforms leave because the licence expires and being one that has a long list of shows to watch it is frustrating to be caught off guard. Have you guys ever had that happened to you?

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:13 am

So I'm heading to Japan for about 8 days in August which part of the trip is attending Animelo which is an annual three day concert event full of various anime singers. Sadly that I won't be able to attend the first day since I would be arriving at Japan during the first day. Anyway, my question is what would be your dream one day lineup of anime singers? I'm going to list the current lineup (as of May 25th) for all three days to give an idea.

Day 1

Spoiler:
Aquors, Asaka, DearDream, GARNiDELiA, Luna Haruna, Miku Itō, Maon Kurosaki, Suzuko Mimori, MYTH & ROID, OLDCODEX, Poppin' Party from BanG Dream, Do As Infinity, Aya Uchida, Megumi Nakajima

Day 2

Spoiler:
Minori Chihara, fhána, GRANRODEO, Idolmaster Side M, Ayaka Ohashi, Inori Minase, Ayana Taketatsu, TRUE, TrySail, Maaya Uchida, Aoi Yūki, Uma Musume Girls, Mamoru Miyano, Starlight Kuku Gumi

Day 3

Spoiler:
Shouta Aoi, Idolmaster Million Stars, I☆Ris, JAM PROJECT, Masayoshi Ōishi, Oresama, SisterS, Konomi Suzuki, Minori Suzuki, Sumiera Uesaka, ZAQ, Saori Hayami, Milky Holmes, Nao Toyama
Last edited by Mys145 on Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 am

Wile i was posting my opinion on the 'real girl' show, an interesting thing came to mind.

If anyone noticed, i am a sucker for romance. I love those type of shows. Sadly, original idears and scenarios are hard to come by and i often complain about what i call the 'convoluted for the sake of convolution because we don't have new plot idears' trick.

Often, romance anime fall into this type of strategy to have some 'action' going on. How often did we eat the 'couple is on the verge of breaking down in the middle or at the end of the anime before everything goes back to normal for meager reasons' or other cliché of the sort.

So, when we think about it, do romance animes really need dramas to be good? Don't we see to much drama and not enought simple, honest to god, happy romance? Can a romance be good without it?

Beside, we need more kisses!
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 am

Following up on my romance question, and gathering everyone's opinion, could we say that Tsuki ga Kirei is the most complet and near perfect romance out there?
What would an adult romance have to do to reach this level of completion?
"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the didlo of dysfunction into the neko of a civilized society" -Plato

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am

Going into E3 mode here with the podcast you guys planned/did.
Can we still hope, one day, to have the motherland of gaming: crossplatform gaming!
Isn't it what almosr all gamers wish for!!!!???

fragoff
Anime Junky

Postby fragoff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 am

So we started to see some weird mix of anime genre lately like magical girl raising project (magical girl and horror) or keijo (sport and....ermmm...as....ecchi). Some being better shows than others.
What kind of unexpected mix would you like to see happening if any? Or if it as already been done, wich mix do you prefer?

Plyr1471
I Like Anime

Postby Plyr1471 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:57 pm

So just joined the site but have been listening to the show weekly for a while. let me preface this question about piracy by saying I know its bad for the industry and i hope this doesn't come off as trolling or argumentative but i would like to know your opinions on this specific scenario. So say you are a subscriber to netflix and have been a subscriber before the show began airing, stayed a subscriber during the shows entire run, and continued to stay a subscriber after the show finished, so say violet evergarden as a specific example, why not watch the show weekly from pirate sites considering you are currently supporting the place where the show will eventually be. Does the issue lie in the fact that its support for the pirate site itself that keeps you guys from doing this? Its just a bit unfortunate when I'm listening to an impressions show or something and violet evergarden or seven deadly sins isn't a part of it. If the answer is just simply "piracy is bad, don't do it" I accept that, I just am interested in a more elaborated answer. Love the show, keep up the good work :)

SethAmaha
Anime Junky

Postby SethAmaha » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 am

I don't know if this is a question that you have already answered, I'm still in the process of listening to all the podcast episodes, but in any case my question is if you are or have kept up with any long running shows like Naruto (now bruto) and Gintama. Also, did you try and catch up on a long running show that already had hundreds of episodes, and if so, how painful was it? I personally marathoned Gintama back when It already had like 120 episodes and despite how hilarious it was, by the time I finally caught up to the most recent episodes several years ago, I think I ended up with an aneurysm from watching the same show for several days nonstop. I love that show by the way, but trying to marathon it is but much as I have learned.

QuestRam
I Like Anime

Postby QuestRam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 pm

Hey Andrew and Chris. My question for you this week: what's your take on anime prequel series? (That is, full seasons of shows that take place before the original series despite being released later.)

In my own experience, the issue I find myself running into with prequels is the aspect of predetermination: as the viewer, you already know how the story is going to pan out. Whatever events or character developments occur, you know that x years down the road, things still turn out the same way. (It's a similar feeling to stumbling across a spoiler without intending to.)

For me, the "uncertainty" aspect of a show—even a simple slice of life romance—is often one of the biggest draws. With prequel series, though, there's always a feeling of "what's the point?" niggling at the back of my mind. This isn't to say I dislike all prequels; I just find it difficult to fully appreciate them in the same way I would as if I had seen the story play out in chronological order.

How about you two, though? What are your general feelings toward prequel series in anime?