189) The Kickstarter of Escaflowne

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

189) The Kickstarter of Escaflowne

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:15 am

Funimation Netflix, and Section23 are on the radar this time around for the Otaku Spirit Animecast Discussional. Join us as we dive into license rescues, new adaptation announcements, and … Kickstarter rants.

Thanks to AstDeprived, Kocurek, JackTWD4th, SemiBolt, Justaguy, Lenzark, and Baka Ichigo for the great questions featured in this podcast.

The opening for this episode is the OP for Kanon called “Last regrets” by Ayana. We close with the OP for Air TV called “Tori no Uta” by Lia!

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/02/animecas ... scaflowne/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Logan
Super NEET IV

Re: 189) The Kickstarter of Escaflowne

Postby Logan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:14 pm

I know I talked to you on Twitter, but just to share with everyone else, I completely disagree with your stance on Kickstarter :D

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Chris I think you mistaken Production I.G. with Kyoto Animation.Because 'Kyoukai no Kanata' was Kyoto Ani.I.G. was doing dark stuff for ages(Ghost in the Shell,Mobile Police Patlabor 2:The Movie).

Chris
Site Co-Founder

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:16 pm

lol probibly. sorry about that. ;-)

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:12 am

It feels like to me that Andrew is more hating on the idea of Funimation of bringing Escaflowne in general to Kickstarter than just giving it a dub. It seems like to me when reading the Kickstarter page for it that they were always going to bring the Blu-Ray over here with just English subtitles.

I'm going to play the other side here when I think people who really remember Escaflowne fondly are a much older crowd. It's a 20 year old show. It got a very horrible edited version on FoxKids. It's not a show like Sailor Moon or Cowboy Bebop where the dub was a major part to people. Should Funimation use Kickstarter to gauge interest for a dub of Escaflowne? Probably not but the current setup of Kickstarter allows companies like Funimation and Sony to use Kickstarter as market research even though they have other funding to do this.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Mys145 wrote:It feels like to me that Andrew is more hating on the idea of Funimation of bringing Escaflowne in general to Kickstarter than just giving it a dub. It seems like to me when reading the Kickstarter page for it that they were always going to bring the Blu-Ray over here with just English subtitles.

Pretty much. The idea of even licensing Escaflowne comes with a guarantee they would do this anyhow. If they are willing to dub something like Pandora and Divine Gate, why wouldn't they redub Escaflowne? Granted they will (hopefully) be using A class VAs.[/quote]

Mys145 wrote:I'm going to play the other side here when I think people who really remember Escaflowne fondly are a much older crowd. It's a 20 year old show. It got a very horrible edited version on FoxKids. It's not a show like Sailor Moon or Cowboy Bebop where the dub was a major part to people. Should Funimation use Kickstarter to gauge interest for a dub of Escaflowne? Probably not but the current setup of Kickstarter allows companies like Funimation and Sony to use Kickstarter as market research even though they have other funding to do this.

Good point. It could (to my point above) be a simple thing of "How expensive of VA do we want?"

Chris wrote:lol probibly. sorry about that. ;-)

Well, at least it wasn't me for once being punished for a mix up :P

michelous
Anime Junky

Postby michelous » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:38 pm

well it just hit the goal today with over a month left and i plan to contribute

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:55 pm

When the podcast started I was like, I think this is kanon...wait...YES ITS KANON YAY IM WATCHING THIS! xD
I'm not even gonna get it and I'm irritated about little Timmy paying them to be a voice actor.
Also I love both ideas.
Its interesting hearing your guys's opinions on things so a general discussion about anything would be amazing.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:42 pm

michelous wrote:well it just hit the goal today with over a month left and i plan to contribute

I love Escaflowne so much and have been waiting on this for a long time.. I doubt I'll be able to resist in the end. Waiting to hear what goofy thing comes with the $175 package.

SemiBolt wrote:When the podcast started I was like, I think this is kanon...wait...YES ITS KANON YAY IM WATCHING THIS! xD
I'm not even gonna get it and I'm irritated about little Timmy paying them to be a voice actor.
Also I love both ideas.
Its interesting hearing your guys's opinions on things so a general discussion about anything would be amazing.

Hah, I need to rewatch Kanon. Been so long. It needs a Blu-ray remastering!

Thanks for the feedback though, we'll continue to kick ideas around :)

Logan
Super NEET IV

Postby Logan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Andrew wrote:[
Hah, I need to rewatch Kanon. Been so long. It needs a Blu-ray remastering!

Would you back a Kickstarter for a BR remaster of Kanon if the tier for the collectors edition was something like $100? ;)