191) Is Anime Dying?

Talk about the Podcast!
Andrew
Site Admin

191) Is Anime Dying?

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:22 pm

“Anime is dying!” “This is the worst season ever!” and more are statements we hear every season. With that said, you’d think the industry was over. In this episode of the podcast, we examine the anime industry, it’s quality, and it’s elements as an entertainment industry. Then dive into the strength it actually seems to be building.

The intro music for this episode is the OP for Selector Infected Wixoss called “Killy Killy Joker” by Kanon Wakeshima. The outro is the “Baka Song” from Ranma 1/2.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/03/animecas ... ime-dying/
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

LuciferHawk
I Like Anime

Re: 191) Is Anime Dying?

Postby LuciferHawk » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:58 am

I dont think its close to dying, but i have thought that the industry wastes a lot of resources to incomplete works or bad stories which can be really disappointing

Kocurek1944
Super Otaku II

Postby Kocurek1944 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:28 am

I completely disagree.We can not treat anime as a bubble existing in other dimention.It's a integral part of Japanese economy,and this one is crumbling.
Japan has biggest national debt of all '1st world' countries.Government is desperately trying to fix that by increasing taxes,which means that pepole have less money to spend on entertainment.Shows that now are said to sell well in the 90s or early 2000s would be considered disasters.
Also due to economy and social structure Japan has disastrously low birth rate.Japan is aging society and each year country has less citizens.Less pepole equals less wallets to sustain industry.
Hideaki Anno,man who knows industry from probably evry angle since 1989 or even earlier,says that this is indeed the fact.
And we can see effects of that on every step.Animation studios only taking risks if they are massive companies backed up by massive companies(Sunrise,A-1 Pictures,Production I.G.).OVA in their true form dying,I think only I.G. and Sunrise are doing them.Big and important studios dying(Manglobe,Ghibli,Gainax).

Mys145
I Bleed Anime

Postby Mys145 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 am

I rather think that the people who constantly say that anime is dying or this is the worst season of anime ever is stuck on the perception of the early time of anime. The perception of the early time of anime was mostly the sci-fi or heavy action series since that was all brought over from Japan. I think once anime started to become a bigger thing, we began to get all other genres and various shows of quality.

From getting a limited selection of shows to about getting everything, the perception would change over time. We are getting what Japanese anime truly is now but for some people, it's something they don't really like. They constantly are looking for those shows from back then but those shows aren't what anime is made up of and thus they think each season of anime is the worst and look for the savior of anime.

With digital animation, the industry can make more anime at a lower cost but they haven't adapted their scheduling. Their pre-production usually takes the same amount of time, most of the time is spent in production (digital animation is not time saving) while post-production is mostly limited due to the demands of production. Also take in the amount of new animators that they need to fill the demand of the shows, it explains why a good amount of shows have erroneous animation.

Streaming definitely help spread anime that shows that may not have a decent audience can be brought out. For many years, sport anime tried to make a dent in the US but always failed that the anime fans typically didn't like sports and the people who love sports wouldn't want to watch it. With streaming, sport shows can be brought out with little risk since they don't really need to dub or do a physical release of it since the audience is very limited.

I think anime is at a good place right now.

Also Chris, you were probably thinking of the Guyver OVAs. Andrew was referring to the 2006 reboot.

Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:16 pm

Kocurek1944 wrote:Poi!

I'm pretty sure we made it clear between each segment that we were speaking in regards to the quality of shows, not the industry's success. Subjective Analysis of the Quality of, if remember correctly. The only elements of the industry we brought up was mostly its change in amount created and its increase in localization.

No one is saying their economic state is rosey. :) It's just honestly a topic and can of worms of its own that we couldn't get into yet. At the same time, it's also stuff we hear about way too much. Most of the points you make are common knowledge and may be just tooting the horn all over again. Instead, this podcast was more to dispel the common misconception of quality being bad, which we argue isn't entirely true.

Don't take that as discounting your points though. I appreciate you chiming in. Just don't want it to seem as if we are being ignorant of that.

Edited for clarification.
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:38 pm

I Don't think you can call a season with Grimgar, showa genroku rakugo shinjuu, and erased a crappy season. Highlights like these outshine a multitude of "meh" shows.

I'd love to do as study of people who claim a given season id the "worst ever". I wonder how long these dudes have been watching anime. Is is a symptom of burnout?

Another thought. Maybe as Anime changes and evolves it evolves away from some people's tastes. People who, being on the interne,t will state as a fact that "anime now objectively sucks".

And pardon the old Art Major here, but "Abstract Expressionism" refers to a very specific school of painting. It can't be applied to animation, really, unless that animation is non-representative and non- narrative. You really can't say that about anime, not even kuhara Kunihiko is that unintelligible :)

SemiBolt
Anime Junky

Postby SemiBolt » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:10 pm

Not sure if this is common knowledge but a lot of my friends don't like moe anime just for the fact that if its moe or only has a female main cast then its automatically not manly enough for them to watch.
I can't get my best friend to watch Clannad even though I showed him funny clips and he loved them just because its "embarrassing" or "Not manly" or only girls can like cute things.

Back to the main topic.
It seems like its not a thing about "Anime is dying" but more of a fact of Nostalgia and if it doesn't have a nostalgic feeling then its bad.
Almost every old Anime that people say is amazing I end up not liking for some reason.
I can hardly go past Anime older then 2006 lol.
I get that a lot of the older Anime created new things that a lot of new Anime use now but I don't really find that a good excuse :/

I mean I loved DBZ. watched DBZ, DBZ Kai twice in a row, all movies and I don't really like it anymore.
There is the fact of it "Creating" the Shounen genre and that's why its a good anime but that would mean it has a time limit of enjoyment. Unless you were born when it was airing on TV you'd not like it as much as other people who watched every Shounen and then started DBZ.

Well that was a weird rant...sorry if I sounded negative :/

Awesome podcast though :D
Its nice to know all the info.

JackTWD4th
Crazy About Anime

Postby JackTWD4th » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm

If this is true then I'll just wish it back with the dragonballs. Problem solved.

LuciferHawk
I Like Anime

Postby LuciferHawk » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Neko wrote:I Don't think you can call a season with Grimgar, showa genroku rakugo shinjuu, and erased a crappy season. Highlights like these outshine a multitude of "meh" shows.

I've heard in a multitude of times seasons of anime over the years being called crappy, but i dont believe he was actually calling this one crappy just saying its a common thing heard from the displeased crowd. Now i do feel that there are seasons out there that just dont produce anything worth seeing but then there are the seasons that just pour out a great number of shows and for me such a time was back in summer 2013 some of the best shows were airing: Silver Spoon, Danganronpa, Watamote, Kiniro Mosaic, Rozen Maiden, Blood Lad, Zenmonogatari, and Kimi no Iru Machi (there are a few more to list that are worth mentioning). Now i think this happens because they know most of what is released throughout the year is a majority of weak story shows with pretty girls to sell figurines of so there has to be some period of time where we see something with a lot more substance to it.

Neko
Jii-San

Postby Neko » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 am

LuciferHawk wrote:
Neko wrote:I Don't think you can call a season with Grimgar, showa genroku rakugo shinjuu, and erased a crappy season. Highlights like these outshine a multitude of "meh" shows.

I've heard in a multitude of times seasons of anime over the years being called crappy, but i dont believe he was actually calling this one crappy just saying its a common thing heard from the displeased crowd.

I didn't hear anyone on the podcast accuse the current season of being bad, I was just addressing the podcast's overarching theme of "anime is dying/worst season ever" whining. ::peace::

"Good" and "bad"are so subjective that any hyperbole about "Worst season ever" should just be dismissed out of hand. Someone is just butthurt about a lack of shows that were to their liking