199) The Anthem of the Heart

Talk about the Podcast!
User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Andrew » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Image
Words are powerful things. Be it to break someone down, or lift them up. A major theme in the movie The Anthem of the Heart, brought to us by the team behind Anohana. In this episode of the Animecast, we put a spotlight on the movie and give our take on how well it portrayed its characters, story, and message.

The series can be imported via Rightstuf.com or through Amazon.co.jp. This is a review of the Limited Edition Release Blu-Ray that was not supplied.

The opening for this episode is called “Girl Who Yearns For The Castle” from the soundtrack. The outro is called “Harmonia” also from the soundtrack.

We hope you all enjoy!
http://otakuspirit.com/2016/04/animecas ... the-heart/
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
Logan
Super NEET IV
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Logan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Spoiler:
I'm curious as to what scene towards the end that you didn't like Andrew.

As for the ending, I was pleasantly surprised with how they wrapped things up story-wise and relationship-wise. I was totally expecting them to go with the typical MC gets with other main guy/girl.

I also had no problems with the crowd animations. Honestly, I didn't even notice that it was CG. I'll have to look for that the next time I watch it.


I'm also surprised that you two didn't talk about the music at all! I found that to be one of the many high points of the film!

User avatar
Chris
Site Co-Founder
Posts: 2463
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:16 am

The scene me and Andrew kinda disagreed on


Spoiler:
the breakdown scene in the hotel. Andrew has a solid alternative and has an excellent reason for it. He will explain it better but for the sake of answering your question till he checks this thread. Basically he thinks it would be better with baseball-kun instead of mc-kun. I disagree only because in a way the scene needed to be mc-kun to resolve they're story. But if it was baseball kin as Andrew stated it would make a better link between Jin and baseball-kun selling the confession at the end better


But like I said Andy will have a better way of explaining it.
Image

User avatar
Logan
Super NEET IV
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Logan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:47 am

I'm interested to hear his explanation then, because if it was switched like that, I don't see things working out :D

User avatar
Xavi_
I Like Anime
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:35 pm
Location: Spain

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Xavi_ » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:58 pm

I agree with Andrew-chan in that
Spoiler:
the confession scene was a bit anticlimactic. I couldn't put my finger on the exact reason, but the whole scene lacked weight, lacked a punch. Don't get me wrong it was gorgeous, but it didn't click with me somehow. Natsuki should have been there instead... but then it might have taken a turn for the melodrama. AaAaaAaaaahhh~~~~


About the CG crowd... you're looking too much into it! I swear didn't even notice, I was completely ungulfed by Jun's performance. ::nosebleed::
Image
ڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—

User avatar
Logan
Super NEET IV
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Logan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Xavi_ wrote:
About the CG crowd... you're looking too much into it! I swear didn't even notice, I was completely ungulfed by Jun's performance. ::nosebleed::


Spoiler:
When she started singing I got chills and started crying at the same time :lol: Especially when she passed her mom :cry:

User avatar
Andrew
Site Admin
Posts: 5164
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Andrew » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:41 pm

The later scene that I have an issue with (not the performance), I'm a bit sad that we didn't have time to go into it in a spoiler discussion (we were running short on time). Maybe we can do a spoiler discussion of it later because it's a really long explanation. Maybe at the end of our next Discussional.

Logan wrote:
Xavi_ wrote:
About the CG crowd... you're looking too much into it! I swear didn't even notice, I was completely ungulfed by Jun's performance. ::nosebleed::


Spoiler:
When she started singing I got chills and started crying at the same time :lol: Especially when she passed her mom :cry:

Spoiler:
I can't help it. A moment in visual medium is comprised of several elements. Sound, composition, characters, lighting, etc. If everything besides the main focus characters look like generic CG inserts, that tells me they cared very little about the composition of the scene, and it breaks the immersion for me.

Though, my issue with the composition and the fact that the performance was great are two separate things entirely. Not sure why those got bundled together.
Image
Keep Connected to OtakuSpirit: YouTube, Facebook, iTunes, Twitter, MyAnimeList
Fate Grand Order: Tsubaki 554,837,694

User avatar
Logan
Super NEET IV
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Logan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Andrew wrote:
Spoiler:
I can't help it. A moment in visual medium is comprised of several elements. Sound, composition, characters, lighting, etc. If everything besides the main focus characters look like generic CG inserts, that tells me they cared very little about the composition of the scene, and it breaks the immersion for me.


Spoiler:
You're the only person who I've heard this criticism from :lol: If it bothered you, it bothered you, there's nothing wrong with that, but to say they cared very little about the composition seems a little harsh to me. I found the whole scene to be solid in all aspects, and as previously stated, no one else even noticed the CG :lol:

User avatar
Neko
Jii-San
Posts: 4449
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:38 am
Location: Tejas

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Neko » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Well, I guess I'm gonna have to spring for it. :D

I saw your intro for the show was
The opening for this episode is called “Girl Who Yearns For The Castle” from the soundtrack.


But when I heard it I almost freaked! It's "Around the World in 80 Days"! ::shocked::
(see below)


Spoiler:
phpBB [video]
Image

User avatar
Logan
Super NEET IV
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: 199) The Anthem of the Heart

Postby Logan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Neko wrote:Well, I guess I'm gonna have to spring for it. :D

I saw your intro for the show was
The opening for this episode is called “Girl Who Yearns For The Castle” from the soundtrack.


But when I heard it I almost freaked! It's "Around the World in 80 Days"! ::shocked::
(see below)


Spoiler:
phpBB [video]


Like I mentioned, I was surprised they didn't talk about the music as that wasn't the only recognizable song that they used in the film :) The soundtrack for Anthem of the Heart is phenomenal!